Replacing my Nikon DSLR setup

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
This is probably a nonsense post but, I have a good Nikon SLR setup, but it really doesn’t get used at all.. I used to do weddings as a bit of fun a few years back, but took a break and never went back to it. Now I generally just use my phone for photos, even on holiday. I had built up a reasonable kit as below, but it’s maybe out once or twice a year and I’m wondering would I get more use out of something else ? Kit list below:

Nikon D750 – shutter replaced by Nikon
Nikon 35mm F/1.8G AF-S
Nikon 85mm F/1.8G AF-S
Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro
Nikon 70-300mm ED
Tokina 20-35mm f3.5-4.5
Nikon SB-700 Speedlight
Yongnuo flashes
Triggers, batteries, cards etc
Stands, brollies, bags etc etc

I also have a D300 and 18-70mm, but really there would be no point ever selling these due to all they would be worth..

I’ve went through various “phases” over the years and always bought small compact cameras to fill in the gap when I didn’t want to haul about a SLR.. Nikon A, Fuji x100 (original), Fuji XF10, GX7 .. but never used them that much and would then sell them on.. Really the only time I use the SLR is Christmas morning (high ISO) but then find it a pain now, great shots.. but I have to use the computer to edit the pics in Lightroom, export etc etc.. I also use it for work the odd time – taking photos of completed buildings (Architectural photography)

I would do the odd bit of video while cycling and driving cars etc, but the most I do is shoot in 1080p and edit on my phone – using insta360 Go2, One R or my phone.. So, is there something sort of in between that would work for decent low light (Christmas morning) the odd time, give me a bit of video if I wanted.. that sort of thing?? Or do I just leave it under the stairs doing nothing..

I have had a few fuji setup’s in between.. but never found the advantage over a SLR.. XT-10, XT-2 with primes and zooms.. nearly the same size and weight, but with a battery that goes done after 300 shots..

I’ve seen a few setups on Facebook etc. and they take my fancy for no particular reason - Sony A6400, Another Fuji, Mirrorless or something else??

So am I thinking another body small user friendly body with a fixed prime?? Something like a FF 35mm which I seem to like on the D750.. then a wide lens to use for Architectural shots?? Or will I just pull out the old SLR when I need / want it?? I suppose the above would sell for around £1500.. so do I spend that or spend some of it.. who knows..

I'd take your kit for a walk and see if anything else fires you up before you decide to dump it. Something different, perhaps?

I'd take your kit for a walk and see if anything else fires you up before you decide to dump it. Something different, perhaps?

Yeah, It's not doing any harm sitting under the stairs in bags and I wonder would I regret selling it, it's been great and I have some have taken some great photos with it.. But also not getting the use it deserves..

Well, that's up to you Adam. I don't know what sort of stuff you liked to photograph, but there must be something you can do with it. See if anything gets you out of your funk.

I was feeling similar about my DSLR set up a few years back, and switched to Fuji, which has reinvigorated my photography, to the point I'm not looking at bigger lenses...

However, if you want a small body with fixed 35mm lens, the best bet has to be a Fuji X100V. Personally I like to shoot raw and process in Lightroom, but the camera jpegs are pretty good too, especially with all the film simulations.

Every time I think of a smaller lighter setup instead of using the big kit, I keep thinking of 2 lots of batteries, 2 lots of lenses, 2 lots of chargers, another bag etc. etc.

The answer in the end? iPhone. This is the picture that finally confirmed that decision for me, it's printed and framed and on the wall!

IMG_7420.jpeg

This was a few weeks ago, hand held, 3 second exposure, straight 'out of the camera', just not possible with a normal camera without pre-planning, a tripod and a willing subject!

The phone is also waterproof, always with me and this was shared in seconds.

For the first time, I actually pre-ordered the latest iPhone on release day, have 512GB of storage, it's backup for the Z9 if needed due to USB-C and is a fantastic 4k video camera.

In summary, for 'proper photos' the big kit comes out, for everything else it's the iPhone!

Every time I think of a smaller lighter setup instead of using the big kit, I keep thinking of 2 lots of batteries, 2 lots of lenses, 2 lots of chargers, another bag etc. etc.

The answer in the end? iPhone. This is the picture that finally confirmed that decision for me, it's printed and framed and on the wall!

View attachment 404327

This was a few weeks ago, hand held, 3 second exposure, straight 'out of the camera', just not possible with a normal camera without pre-planning, a tripod and a willing subject!

The phone is also waterproof, always with me and this was shared in seconds.

For the first time, I actually pre-ordered the latest iPhone on release day, have 512GB of storage, it's backup for the Z9 if needed due to USB-C and is a fantastic 4k video camera.

In summary, for 'proper photos' the big kit comes out, for everything else it's the iPhone!
I also love the photos from my phone but it's a soulless tool for picture taking. I am tempted by the new Nikon ZF for personal use as Im a pro Sony shooter it would not be used for work. When working I don't care what the camera feels like but for personal use the ZF hits the spot

Thanks for the comments everyone.. I have a Pixel 7 and it's great for day to day.. I even use it for some Instagram stuff for work and edit in Lightroom mobile. I have went through some Fuji's over the years and love the film look you get with jpeg's straight from camera.. Had a quick look at the ZF and it looks great but is expensive.. again for all I seem to use "A Big" camera it would probably just sit there.. I've seen a Sony A6400 (£650 with 16-50mm) on Facebook and I'm wondering would something like that with a 24mmish prime be good with the option for a wide angle if needed?? I could do video stuff too if it took my fancy..

Yeah, It's not doing any harm sitting under the stairs in bags and I wonder would I regret selling it, it's been great and I have some have taken some great photos with it.. But also not getting the use it deserves..
I'm in a similar predicament with my Nikon gear as I checked the date on the most recent picture taken with my D750 and it was October 2019. I haven't used my Nikon 50mm, 85mm 135mm primes since 2017, 90mm macro since 2013 and have only used the 24-70mm twice in 6 years. All I've used is my D4s with 70-200mm, which is probably all I will end up keeping as the 70-200mm is worth nothing since it's "well used" and still delivers. I now use Fuji X system for the rare occasion I do street/urban shooting and the GFX for landscape style photography.

I found that I don't share the same enthusiasm for photography that I had say around 6 years ago. Once we had the lockdowns my interest completely vanished, so I bought into Fuji GFX 18 months ago as I wanted a more slower paced "with nature" style of shooting that would provide me with potentially better IQ to what I already had. Nowadays I'd much rather shoot somewhere quiet in the middle of the countryside and cringe at the thought of labouring a Nikon DSLR to shoot some action.

I'd keep your D300 as it's worth more even if just keeping it for one of those min "£300 for a fully functioning camera" trade in deals that sometimes crop up when buying a new camera. Plus it still keeps your toes in the water should you ever fancy going back to F-mount in future as there'll be a load of cheap 2nd hand lenses on the market place for years.

I'd suggest you go out with the D750, use it for a day and see if you enjoyed the experience or found it more of a chore. If it's the latter, then I think it's time to look at selling the Nikon gear and maybe simplifying your gear set up to what suits your needs. You could easily get enough for your Nikon equipment and get a Sony A6400 with a couple of lenses - a wide zoom and a fast 24mm prime sounds like a nice combo to suit your needs.

Like me, you're sitting on a lot of unused F-mount gear which you probably no longer have much use for and the longer you keep it the more its value depreciates. If you haven't used it much over the past 3 years, then it's unlikely you will miss it if it's gone. Sometimes it's good to have a clear out and just keep what you actually use. I'm also sitting on 3 Fuji X mount lenses I've used no more than once in 4 years - I clearly have an issue with buying gear which I don't need lol!!!

I'm in a similar predicament with my Nikon gear as I checked the date on the most recent picture taken with my D750 and it was October 2019. I haven't used my Nikon 50mm, 85mm 135mm primes since 2017, 90mm macro since 2013 and have only used the 24-70mm twice in 6 years. All I've used is my D4s with 70-200mm, which is probably all I will end up keeping as the 70-200mm is worth nothing since it's "well used" and still delivers. I now use Fuji X system for the rare occasion I do street/urban shooting and the GFX for landscape style photography.

I found that I don't share the same enthusiasm for photography that I had say around 6 years ago. Once we had the lockdowns my interest completely vanished, so I bought into Fuji GFX 18 months ago as I wanted a more slower paced "with nature" style of shooting that would provide me with potentially better IQ to what I already had. Nowadays I'd much rather shoot somewhere quiet in the middle of the countryside and cringe at the thought of labouring a Nikon DSLR to shoot some action.

I'd keep your D300 as it's worth more even if just keeping it for one of those min "£300 for a fully functioning camera" trade in deals that sometimes crop up when buying a new camera. Plus it still keeps your toes in the water should you ever fancy going back to F-mount in future as there'll be a load of cheap 2nd hand lenses on the market place for years.

I'd suggest you go out with the D750, use it for a day and see if you enjoyed the experience or found it more of a chore. If it's the latter, then I think it's time to look at selling the Nikon gear and maybe simplifying your gear set up to what suits your needs. You could easily get enough for your Nikon equipment and get a Sony A6400 with a couple of lenses - a wide zoom and a fast 24mm prime sounds like a nice combo to suit your needs.

Like me, you're sitting on a lot of unused F-mount gear which you probably no longer have much use for and the longer you keep it the more its value depreciates. If you haven't used it much over the past 3 years, then it's unlikely you will miss it if it's gone. Sometimes it's good to have a clear out and just keep what you actually use. I'm also sitting on 3 Fuji X mount lenses I've used no more than once in 4 years - I clearly have an issue with buying gear which I don't need lol!!!

Thanks for that.. sounds quite similar in many ways... I actually had to shoot the kids sports day at school in June and couldn't even remember how to get the D750 off manual mode.. LOL Then found editing the hundreds of pics a pain.. Yes the D300 was repaired by Nikon a few years back so I know it's good for a while yet.. the 18-70mm lens was always under valued in my opinion and even a cheap 35mm DX gives me options with a proper camera.. knowing me, I'll buy something like a Sony and have a play then sell it on or actually might like and and then gather up the D750 and put it for sale..

Thanks for the comments everyone.. I have a Pixel 7 and it's great for day to day.. I even use it for some Instagram stuff for work and edit in Lightroom mobile. I have went through some Fuji's over the years and love the film look you get with jpeg's straight from camera.. Had a quick look at the ZF and it looks great but is expensive.. again for all I seem to use "A Big" camera it would probably just sit there.. I've seen a Sony A6400 (£650 with 16-50mm) on Facebook and I'm wondering would something like that with a 24mmish prime be good with the option for a wide angle if needed?? I could do video stuff too if it took my fancy..
I've got the older A6000 with the 16-50 lens as part of my 'travel' kit (I also have the 55-210 kit plus the 35 & 50 f/1.8 OSS primes) - it is certainly small enough to fit in a coat pocket when powered down, while being large enough to use as a 'real camera' (I was originally looking at the Sony RX100 as a small camera to take when on holiday, but found it was too small for me to use comfortably with two hands).
I would suggest if you go down this route you also invest in a separate charger and a couple of extra batteries - there are a lot of 3rd party options, and an external charger is much simpler than in-camera charging. Batteries are small enough that having a couple of spares with you is not a problem - but without them you are likely to end up out of charge if you have a day where you take a decent amount of shots (I've sometimes needed to use the 2nd spare, never needed a 3rd).

Seems to me you've already decided that it's the phone or nothing so you might as well get rid of the other stuff. If you don't want the hassle, just contact WEC or LCE and take whatever they offer you for it. I wouldn't even bother getting a new, smaller, camera as it doesn't sound like that would get much use either.

Seems to me you've already decided that it's the phone or nothing so you might as well get rid of the other stuff. If you don't want the hassle, just contact WEC or LCE and take whatever they offer you for it. I wouldn't even bother getting a new, smaller, camera as it doesn't sound like that would get much use either.

I do think I would want "a proper" camera for some things.. photographing buildings for work, Christmas day etc, so an in-between might work..

I've actually just done the same thing for my father in law.. I just sold his D7500, 85mm, 18-200mm, 12-24mm and other bits and bobs so he could order a X100v.. similar idea.. he sold the D7500 with 389 actuations on it... At least I banged out over 45k on the D750..

Last edited:
[snip]

So am I thinking another body small user friendly body with a fixed prime?? Something like a FF 35mm which I seem to like on the D750.. then a wide lens to use for Architectural shots?? Or will I just pull out the old SLR when I need / want it?? I suppose the above would sell for around £1500.. so do I spend that or spend some of it.. who knows..

Maybe something like the Sony RX1R would suit? It's compact, has a 24MP full frame sensor and comes with a fixed 35mm F2 lens.

Camera world has a used one at £1,199 right now, so your gear should easily cover this.

1697728323145.png

I’m in a similar situation and I’m in the process of moving from a Canon R6 to a Fuji X-T3.

Cost was a factor ( at present I can’t justify how much money I had sitting in kit), but I also found that I really wasn't using the camera as much as I would have been a smaller system simply due to the size.

If I was in your position personally I'd look at something like the X100V or similar.

I’m in a similar situation and I’m in the process of moving from a Canon R6 to a Fuji X-T3.

Cost was a factor ( at present I can’t justify how much money I had sitting in kit), but I also found that I really wasn't using the camera as much as I would have been a smaller system simply due to the size.

If I was in your position personally I'd look at something like the X100V or similar.

Greg, you can't be changing again.. you been round every system there is.. LOL. yes always loved the X100 (original version) images, so maybe a newer version of that would fit the bill.

same here as well .I have built up a considerable Nikon Kit consisiting of
Nikon D810
Nikon D300
Nikon 80-400mm 4.5-5.6 G ed lens
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 G11ed lens
Tamron 90 mm 2.8 macro 1:1
Nikon 24-70mm 3.5-5.6G lens
Niko n12-24 f1,4 DX lens
Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 G2 lens

Nikon speedlight SB900
Meike MK910 speedlight

Also apart from spare batteries and chargers- remote wireless triggers for cameras and speed lights in any combination
Most still with original boxes and instructions'

Age is my problem now being an OAP and camera weight.

My main camera use is now my camcorder or my Panasonic DC-TZ95 compact camera. Often ask myself why do I was three tripods and a monopod when I only use one tripod? It must be the hoarder instints when in reality most are put away in Pele cases with loads of silica sachets .

Last edited:
Hopefully without the sticking EVF curtain; I've had two of these, both of them suffered from it on occasions.

<snip>
It is uncanny just how many of us seem to be in a similar position - similar dates as well in my case. Last time I used my D500 and long lenses at the local RSPB was November 2019 and most stuff I hadn't touched for years before that.

Just can't be bothered to go out specifically to take photos any more and when we can get away in the Camper it my Nikon 1 stuff I take ( cos its very very small and goes to 810 mm ) but, its my phone that gets hammered even then for holiday snaps even though I dislike the fiddle of using it. Basically my Nikon 1 V3 + CX 70-300 has become my default long reach camera.

Taking the dog out for a walk in the local woods I just dug out my ancient Canon sx 220 P&S - at least it has a 340mm zoom to try and snap the squirrels - and it does actually fit in my pockets - any pocket.

Keep thinking of digging out my 'old' oly em5.1 - I still have a few m43 basic lenses and it was the most fun I ever had with photography in the last 12 years. At least it has a VF which neither phone nor the P&S do.

I wonder if the OP has thought about m43 ? I used to use it for indoor pics friends and family and results were OK. Still is that any better than a phone - not sure - unless you want to aspire to exhibition standards.

Last edited:
Nikon D810
Nikon D300
Niko n12-24 f1,4 DX lens

Nikon speedlight SB900
Meike MK910 speedlight

Also apart from spare batteries and chargers- remote wireless triggers for cameras and speed lights in any combination

My main camera use is now my camcorder or my Panasonic DC-TZ95 compact camera. Often ask myself why do I was three tripods and a monopod when I only use one tripod? It must be the hoarder instints when in reality most are put away in Pele cases with loads of silica sachets .

Yeah, the amount of other items I've gathered over the years is shocking..

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this dilemma.. LOL

I think the main problem lies with the companies that make cameras etc. They keep pumping out new models and people ,such as myself used to be. keep chasing after the latest releases. This then lead to a surplus of good quality older equipment no longer wanted and sell for very little compared to purchase price. Therefore people such as myself find what is in their camera bag is worth a lot more to themselves than to even offer for sale.

Last edited:
I think the main problem lies with the companies that make cameras etc. They keep pumping out new models and fools ,such as myself used to be. keep chasing after the latest releases. This then lead to a surplus of good quality older equipment no longer wanted and sell for very little compared to purchase price. Therefore people such as myself find what is in their camera bag is worth a lot more to themselves than to even offer for sale.
Yes I have GAS for quite a few different things.. Bikes, watches, cameras, phones...

Or buy a tripod and a fishing trolley. Let them take the strain and take your time.

Nikon D810
Nikon D300
Niko n12-24 f1,4 DX lens

Nikon speedlight SB900
Meike MK910 speedlight

It's pleasing to see I'm not the only one who seems to have a lot of rarely used gear. Here's what I'm sitting on...

Nikon D750
Nikon D4S
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8G
Nikon 50mm f1.8G
Nikon 85mm f1.8D
Nikon 135mm f2.0DC
Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro
(I should sell the lot and just keep the D4S, 50mm & 70-200mm)

Fuji X-T2
Fuji XF16-80mm f4.0
Fuji XF55-200mm f3.5-4.8
Fuji XF23mm f2.0 (bought 4 years ago and used only once lol)
Fuji XF56mm f1.2
Fuji XF90mm f2.0
(I should sell the 16-80mm & 55-200mm as never use them)

Fuji GFX50SII
Fuji GF 23mm f4.0
Fuji GF 35-70mm f4.5-5.6
Fuji GF 100-200mm f5.6

Plus 3 tripods, a monopod, 4 L brackets, about 9 Lee ND filters - I actually have 3 10 stop ND filters (long story, don't ask why).

The Nikon gear is the least used and the D750, 24-70mm & 135mm DC really need to go - maybe scrape £900 for all 3 trade in. If I get rid of them I'll likely go and buy another camera like the new Nikon Zf which will mean I won't use the Fuji X-T2 as the AF tracking on the Nikon is light years ahead of the Fuji. Buying a Zf will have further repercussions as it'll mean buying Nikon Z lenses, I'll end up with 4 different systems when I can only realistically use 1 at the same time. With certainty I won't invest in anymore Fuji X mount or Nikon F mount glass, nothing else is certain though lol.

Another issue I have is I keep all my original boxes which means I have stacks of lens/camera boxes which was giving me space issues. I helped alleviate that by putting the unused gear back in their original box.

I think a trip to LCE with the D750, 24-70mm & 135mm is long overdue, but is fraught with the danger I buy something else I don't need.

It's pleasing to see I'm not the only one who seems to have a lot of rarely used gear. Here's what I'm sitting on...

Nikon D750
Nikon D4S
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8G
Nikon 50mm f1.8G
Nikon 85mm f1.8D
Nikon 135mm f2.0DC
Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

Fuji X-T2
Fuji XF16-80mm f4.0
Fuji XF55-200mm f3.5-4.8
Fuji XF56mm f1.2
Fuji XF90mm f2.0

Fuji GFX50SII
Fuji GF 23mm f4.0
Fuji GF 35-70mm f4.5-5.6
Fuji GF 100-200mm f5.6

Plus 3 tripods, a monopod, 4 L brackets, about 9 Lee ND filters - I actually have 3 10 stop ND filters (long story, don't ask why).

The Nikon gear is the least used and the D750, 24-70mm & 135mm DC really need to go - maybe scrape £900 for all 3 trade in. If I get rid of them I'll likely go and buy another camera like the new Nikon Zf which will mean I won't use the Fuji X-T2 as the AF tracking on the Nikon is light years ahead of the Fuji. Buying a Zf will have further repercussions as it'll mean buying Nikon Z lenses, I'll end up with 4 different systems when I can only realistically use 1 at the same time. With certainty I won't invest in anymore Fuji X mount or Nikon F mount glass, nothing else is certain though lol.

Another issue I have is I keep all my original boxes which means I have stacks of lens/camera boxes which was giving me space issues. I helped alleviate that by putting the unused gear back in their original box.

I think a trip to LCE with the D750, 24-70mm & 135mm is long overdue, but is fraught with the danger I buy something else I don't need.

Ye Gods, you have a hoarding problem!! ;):)

I can't bear to have a lot of stuff hanging around that I don't use, although I do have a lot of stuff hanging around -- guitars, saxophone, many musical instruments, drone, binoculars, bicycles, tons of stuff, and yet at some point it all gets used as I flit from one thing to another all the time.

With regard to camera equipment though, I always sell by part-ex then buy. The reason I don't hoard it is because then I get attacks of inertia, I would have so much in the way of cameras and lenses that I wouldn't know what to take and in the end, I wouldn't go out photographing at all and none of it would get used. I have only one camera -- a D850 --and four lenses: one wide-angle zoom for landscapes, one 28mm semi-wide-angle prime for street, one nifty fifty, 'cos it's light (I don't need it, it's just not worth anything) and one 60-600mm super-telephoto for wildlife and sports. And that's it. If I can't do what I want with that, I have no business doing photography at all.

But, to each his/her own, I just wouldn't know what to do with all that stuff.

Reactions: ntz

Nikon D750
Nikon D4S
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8G
Nikon 50mm f1.8G
Nikon 85mm f1.8D
Nikon 135mm f2.0DC
Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

Fuji X-T2
Fuji XF16-80mm f4.0
Fuji XF55-200mm f3.5-4.8
Fuji XF56mm f1.2
Fuji XF90mm f2.0

Fuji GFX50SII
Fuji GF 23mm f4.0
Fuji GF 35-70mm f4.5-5.6
Fuji GF 100-200mm f5.6

That's a serious list of stuff.. Bound to be able to thin that out a lot.. Even the XT2 setup with lenses would be nice to have.. or upgrade to a XT4 or 5??

Ye Gods, you have a hoarding problem!! ;):)

I can't bear to have a lot of stuff hanging around that I don't use, although I do have a lot of stuff hanging around -- guitars, saxophone, many musical instruments, drone, binoculars, bicycles, tons of stuff, and yet at some point it all gets used as I flit from one thing to another all the time.

With regard to camera equipment though, I always sell by part-ex then buy. The reason I don't hoard it is because then I get attacks of inertia, I would have so much in the way of cameras and lenses that I wouldn't know what to take and in the end, I wouldn't go out photographing at all and none of it would get used. I have only one camera -- a D850 --and four lenses: one wide-angle zoom for landscapes, one 28mm semi-wide-angle prime for street, one nifty fifty, 'cos it's light (I don't need it, it's just not worth anything) and one 60-600mm super-telephoto for wildlife and sports. And that's it. If I can't do what I want with that, I have no business doing photography at all.

But, to each his/her own, I just wouldn't know what to do with all that stuff.

Yes, I'm bad for hoarding bicycles and watches... Bikes will get to about 9-10 then get thinned down to 4.. same with watches.. really no need for 9 of them.. so sold a load of them and bought a very old Porsche Boxster..

OK, update: I bought a 2nd hand A6500 tonight.. came with the 16-50mm lens and also the 35mm F/1.8.. so lets see if 1. If I use it and 2. I like it.. gives me the option of some video too..
Sounds like a sensible purchase that fits in with what you need. Did you part ex or sell any of your Nikon gear?

I've just noticed something else I buy and never use - camera bags. I must have 5 in total and 3 of them I've never used not even once lol.

Last edited:
I haven't done anything with the Nikon gear yet.. all just under the stairs!!

Slight update.. I've actually brought the A6500 with me a few times and used it.. seems to be good and I honestly don't think I would of bothered lifting the D750.. Took it on a family day out during the week and also to an autotest today.. getting used to it, but seems good so far..

I haven't done anything with the Nikon gear yet.. all just under the stairs!!

Slight update.. I've actually brought the A6500 with me a few times and used it.. seems to be good and I honestly don't think I would of bothered lifting the D750.. Took it on a family day out during the week and also to an autotest today.. getting used to it, but seems good so far..

Sounds good. Just give it a few weeks and sell the other Nikon stuff.

If I were going more minimal or basic I think I would go Fuji X100F/V or the Sony RX1R range....

As I’ve got older, I find the carrying weight of my gear too much at times. I love my Nikon D7500, but it’s getting heavier by the day! I recently purchased a Nikon Z50 as a “carry around” - and love it!

I am finding myself in a similar position and would like some advice.

Currently I have a Nikon D750 along with various prime lenses. I also have the Fujifilm xPro 2 with a 23mm lens which I carry when I am looking to shave off some weight while travelling and also for street photography. Its also a fact that the D750 is now getting used much less and is generally sitting around because of the weight and the DSLR like proportions which makes discreet shooting a bit of a pain. I like the silent shutter of the Fujifilm which makes street photography effortless.

I searched a bit over the net and found the Sony A7C which seems to combine both the benefits of the larger sensor of the D750 and the compactness of the small body.

So here is my question: Does it make sense to sell all of my current gear and invest in a used A7C or I am better off with the current kit?

Last edited:
I am not selling my Nikon gear and have a lot of room for more Nikon gear so if anyone wants to get rid of their stuff I am quite happy to give it a good home and I will offer you a heartfelt thank you in exchange. I will even let you pay the postage to get the gear to me; can't say fairer than that.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

(Oh, well, worth a try, I suppose)

Currently I have a Nikon D750 along with various prime lenses. I also have the Fujifilm xPro 2 with a 23mm lens which I carry when I am looking to shave off some weight while travelling and also for street photography. Its also a fact that the D750 is now getting used much less and is generally sitting around because of the weight and the DSLR like proportions which makes discreet shooting a bit of a pain. I like the silent shutter of the Fujifilm which makes street photography effortless.

I searched a bit over the net and found the Sony A7C which seems to combine both the benefits of the larger sensor of the D750 and the compactness of the small body.

So here is my question: Does it make sense to sell all of my current gear and invest in a used A7C or I am better off with the current kit?

If you aren't using the D750 and unless you want it as a backup, then I would sell it and the lenses because they will only continue to depreciate in value.

The A7C is going to give you killer autofocus (the higher tier Sony AF really is stellar) and also excellent dynamic range in a nice small full frame sensor package, but if the Fuji is satisfying you in these areas then is it worth the expense? Unless you just fancy a change of course!

One thing to watch out for is the size of the lenses - even on a tiny full frame body, the lens still has to produce an image circle that covers the whole sensor, which is why lenses for APS-C cameras, such as Fuji, can be smaller. I find that camerasize.com is a really good resource for comparing cameras and lenses - e.g. you could line up a D750 with 35mm lens, an X-Pro2 with 23mm lens and A7C with 35mm lens to compare the size. Don't make the mistake of also including an X100V because that is so much smaller than even the X-Pro2 with 23mm lens that I ended up buying one...

If you aren't using the D750 and unless you want it as a backup, then I would sell it and the lenses because they will only continue to depreciate in value.

The A7C is going to give you killer autofocus (the higher tier Sony AF really is stellar) and also excellent dynamic range in a nice small full frame sensor package, but if the Fuji is satisfying you in these areas then is it worth the expense? Unless you just fancy a change of course!

Its a bit hard to go back to APS-C once you get used to FF. :D

I use the xPro 2 for street and for more casual stuff.

I also suspect I am suffering from GAS now. :police:

One thing to watch out for is the size of the lenses - even on a tiny full frame body, the lens still has to produce an image circle that covers the whole sensor, which is why lenses for APS-C cameras, such as Fuji, can be smaller. I find that camerasize.com is a really good resource for comparing cameras and lenses - e.g. you could line up a D750 with 35mm lens, an X-Pro2 with 23mm lens and A7C with 35mm lens to compare the size. Don't make the mistake of also including an X100V because that is so much smaller than even the X-Pro2 with 23mm lens that I ended up buying one...

Thanks for the site recommendation. It seems really helpful to judge the size implications of Sony G lenses which are heavier than Nikon AF-D ones.

Back