Beginner Replacing Nikon D5100 with something smaller?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks, new to the forum but have been a lurker a long time. I'm after a little bit of advice please. I'm looking at replacing my Nikon D5100 with something a little smaller. I've owned it for a couple of years and have noticed more recently that I'm reluctant to take it out when out and about and even when on holiday as it's just too bulky and heavy. So after plenty of reading online I really like the look of a micro four thirds mirrorless setup. Luckily I hadn't got round to buying any lenses for the Nikon so won't have to replace much other than the body and kit lens. I've been into a few local shops to have a feel and play around with some cameras and the two that have jump out at me are the Olympus OMD E-10 and Panasonic GX7, both around the same price. The Olympus is probably my personal faviourate as it feels comfortable to hold and looks great. It also comes with the pancake lens which I thought would make a great walkaround and everyday lens when away on holiday, the compactness is great and could easily just fit and pocket. The Panasonic GX7 was a bit more on the bulky side both the grip and lens but also very comfortable to hold and shoot one handed. Not seen anything else which really jumped out at me. As for lenses I'd be looking to use the kit lens for while whilst I learn about the camera and get used to it then look into getting the 45mm and maybe a 20-35mm. I'd say my priority is something small and comfortable but that I can grow into as I get more into photography. As for what I'll be shooting it'll be mainly landscapes, family moments etc and general holiday snaps.

Also any recommendations or any other advice would be very welcome.

I've sent John Lewis a price match claim for the Olympus but any recommendations where to buy the E-10 from (or anything else please).

Thanks in advance.

E-M10 is a great camera, you can't go wrong with one of those. For lenses, I'd add a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 as its quick and slim so the camera will still fit in a coat pocket. It can be a little slow to focus in the dark ( the olympus 25mm is quicker but doesn't produce as pleasing images to my eye )

The O45 is brilliant - so sharp and quick and can be had for around £140 second hand ( have a look on mpbphotographic as they come with a warranty )

If you need something longer but still cheap, the O40-150R is pretty damn good for £100 or so

Last edited:
That great info, thanks very much. I know the E-10 is at the bottom of the OMD MFT pecking order but I'm firmly in the amateur catagory so I hope it won't make too much difference. Any recommendations on where to buy the E-10 from. HDEW Cameras are the cheapest I can see (UK stockest but grey imports I think) otherwise amazon, wex and wilkinson cameras are all around the same price. The latter seems to get pretty poor reviews mind you.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry I did mean the E-M10. I've asked John Lewis to price match the UKdigital price of £479 but tempted to get it from HDEW Cameras if they decline it. They've got it for £419 with the pancake lens and comes with a 3 year warranty (although not sure how good that my be).

I'm in a similar situation to the OP at the moment (D90 instead of D5100) - finding that it's staying at home due to the weight & bulk.

I've narrowed the choice to either the Olympus OMD E10 or just edging it is the Sony a6000 - just need to make a decision!

If you are wanting the Olympus, Jessops have an offer I noticed earlier today, the EM10, with 14-42mm pancake lens & 40-150mm for £549.

Now, I just need to decide which one to go for myself....

You'll have a greater choice of lenses if you go Olympus. I was going to stick with my e-m10, 14-42 and 45mm when I changed from a d7000 in December.

Now I have an e-m1, 20mm 1.7, 25mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8, 40-150R, 60mm 2.8 macro and 75-300ii. Oops. On the upside, my bag is half the size I used to have with Nikon :)

Thanks Chappers. Might look into that Jessops offer actually as its only an extra £50 or so for the 40-150mm.

^nice selection of lenses Damian, the 20mm and 45mm are definitely on my want list. Plus I like the idea of being able to upgrade the body in the future.

Went ahead and ordered the e-m10 from John Lewis (price matched). Was tempted by a grey import but it was only about £50 in it so thought better of it. Looking forward to getting my hands on it now.

Also I've seen a local seller who's got the Panasonic Lumix 20mm 1.7 but its the older version for about £150, is that a good deal or not?

It's ok, yes. It's optically the same as the later version.

Just noticed that Olympus now have a summer "sale" on from 12th May. This includes £75 cashback on the OMD EM10. This may have made my mind up as the whole kit for the Olympus will now come in at about £205 cheaper than the Sony a6000!

That's so funny. I've literally just posted the same on your thread. Ordered the Olympus yesterday just before the promotion went live but thankfully it is inclusive of the 12.05.15.

They also have the 45mm with £30 off which would make it £150 new. Not too shabby!

Last edited:
I've been through that, fair enough a burglary has help me accelerate my decision. But coming from Nikon with mainly using the 27-70 and 70-200 f2.8 lenses I wanted something much smaller yet just as good.

I never regretted moving to the mft format. Some cracking good lenses as well. My most used are my oly 17mm and 45mm. And my trusty 35-100mm Panasonic.

Love it so much that I haven't felt the need to buy anything else for almost two years now.

Back