Reporting Mink.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Today has been a bit of a dismal day. Whilst out on my daily exercise cycling along the river, I saw a mink. It was bordering on 'my' Kingfisher nesting territory, so you can imagine, I'm pretty upset.

I want to report it, I think there's an obligation to do so but I can't find much online for my area (Ayrshire). I have found an initiative in Perthsire but that is a fair step and I don't think they'd cover this far south.

There are otters on that stretch of river and apparently, a mink is no match for an adult otter, to the point that otters are increasing in numbers whilst mink decline. I hope nature takes its course and the otters win out but I do feel I should report the mink.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

IIRC Mink are not 'reportable' but if the land has a known owner (eg WWT, RSPB, Wildlife Trust) then it is best to advise them of the sighting,

They're just classed as vermin and are not 'reportable'.

Find a local shooting club and contact the secretary. They will know of any members that will despatch it for you. Alternatively, ask in the local pub if there are any shooters that would oblige.

The other alternative is to put a trap down for them, capture them humanely and then destroy them yourself - humanely of course.

Officially: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/foxes-moles-and-mink-how-to-protect-your-property-from-damage

IIRC Mink are not 'reportable' but if the land has a known owner (eg WWT, RSPB, Wildlife Trust) then it is best to advise them of the sighting,

Thanks Roger, I will look into that.

They're just classed as vermin and are not 'reportable'.

Find a local shooting club and contact the secretary. They will know of any members that will despatch it for you. Alternatively, ask in the local pub if there are any shooters that would oblige.

The other alternative is to put a trap down for them, capture them humanely and then destroy them yourself - humanely of course.

Officially: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/foxes-moles-and-mink-how-to-protect-your-property-from-damage

Thanks. Ironically, I've shot all my life, until recently, woke up one morning a few years ago, decided it wasn't for me anymore, took and sold my guns for half of what they were worth at my local gun dealer and handed my licences in to the Police station on the way home.

I would shoot a mink though.

I'm not sure who owns the land, it is right next to the river, probably a local farmer. Any shooters would need permission off the landowner to shoot there. I could ask on the nearby farms if anybody has shooting rights there, I know quite a few of the landowners nearby. (y)

Thanks. Ironically, I've shot all my life, until recently, woke up one morning a few years ago, decided it wasn't for me anymore, took and sold my guns for half of what they were worth at my local gun dealer and handed my licences in to the Police station on the way home.

Me too. I would still have them, but my wheelchair isn't very good in a field. :runaway:

Well, you have the experience and knowledge then, so go get the little blighter. I'm sure the landowner would be delighted for you to rid of such a destructive animal.

We have to protect our native species: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/2012/06/kingfisher-mink-predation-last.shtml

Give some folk something to shoot at and it could cause more problems for your Kingfisher than the Mink!

Me too. I would still have them, but my wheelchair isn't very good in a field. :runaway:

Well, you have the experience and knowledge then, so go get the little blighter. I'm sure the landowner would be delighted for you to rid of such a destructive animal.

We have to protect our native species: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/2012/06/kingfisher-mink-predation-last.shtml

Fortunately for the mink, I don't have my guns anymore. I would think even a sub (around) 12ft/lbs air rifle would easily despatch a mink from under 50 metres but air weapons, even sub 12ft lbs ones, are licenced here in Scotland and I'd still have to have permission to shoot there. I think asking the local farmers who has shooting rights and letting them know the rough location I saw the mink (not mentioning the nest of course, which is probably 100 meters from the mink sighting anyway, maybe more) could work but to avoid any possible disturbance, I'd prefer air weapon, if I were to pursue the shooting option. The kingfishers are probably used to bigger bangs in fairness, I often hear shotguns and sometimes rifles nearby. It's surrounded by farmland.

Give some folk something to shoot at and it could cause more problems for your Kingfisher than the Mink!

Sadly, this is true, some numpties don't care and they should never have a gun. I would think though that a licenced gun owner (the licencing process is very thorough), with permission, is likely to be responsible. Also, the mink den (and that's the place to be) will probably/hopefully be a considerable distance away from the KF nest and an air rifle, or even a silenced .22 or .177 HMR rifle or moderated shotgun being fired wouldn't bother the KFs too much, if at all and probably not even noticed by them say 100 metres away from the nest. I often hear shotguns nearby and from a noise point of view, I don't think the odd nearby gunshots bother the KFs at all. Unbelievably last Sunday, I heard fireworks in a nearby village and it was a sustained 30 seconds or so. Not sure what the people were celebrating but the KFs just carried on.

I know the local water Bailiff. I've not spoken to him for a while due to Covid but I will mention the mink to him when I see him, or ask at the local fishing club for his number. He'll know a fair course of action (probably humane trapping) I would think as it would be in his and the fishing club's interest to be rid of any mink on the river.

Shooting would work but all things considered, humane trapping would be best. I know it's ironic with the trap being humane but any mink can then be removed and despatched further away.

Sounds like a plan Dale (y)

Back