Reprints

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
I've come across some old photographs that my parents took of myself and my sister when we were both very young and I'd love to get some new larger prints done as a present for them. One of the negatives I have found is Ilford FP4 so obviously black and white. My question is can jessops print from an already processed B&W film or does it require a different chemical process from colour meaning that they won't be able to?
Also, if anybody can link me to a jessops price sheet that would be great. The only thing I've been able to find is prices for printing digital files.

Edit: The reason I ask for Jessops specifically is because they are the only place I am aware of locally who do processing.

The process should be ok (from what I know as a film n00b) as developing the film is a different process to developing prints.

to make a print you take a negative and show light through it to make a print appear on paper which is chemical paper so gets darker where the most light hits it (hence why negatives are negative) so they should be able to make prints from it, but there a few jessops guys on the forum who will know with certainty

Snappy Snaps in Bristol will print them for you.

Somewhere on whiteladies road I believe.

They will also do re-prints for you.

I would imagine Jessops can make prints from negative strips. The trouble is even though yours are in black & white, they'll more than likely print them onto colour paper, which will not produce very pleasing results. Alternatively they'll send them off to another lab.

I know it's not local to you, but I would recommend sending them to Ilford's own lab in Mobberley, Cheshire:

http://www.ilfordlab.com

i would have thought jessops would scan them then print digitaly ,cant see anyone at jessops knowing what an enlarger is ,,,let alone how to use one.

Snappy Snaps in Bristol will print them for you.

Somewhere on whiteladies road I believe.

They will also do re-prints for you.

http://www.photographique.co.uk/

also.

Both of them without a shadow more likely to do a decent job than Jessops.

Sadly I only got to university in Bristol and as term is now over I'm back home for the summer. I've heard great things of both places, especially photographique, and plan to make use of them next year. Thanks!

I'll just take the negatives along with me next time I'm near a jessops and see what they can do for me. I'll at least get the colour prints done :)

yes, Jessops can re-print from black and white negative - they have a mono adjust function on the computer when scanning film, they also do sepia. It is c-type printing rather than hand printing and funnily enough, even though I work in Jessops, I just so happen to know my way around a black and white and colour enlarger..employment there doesn't automatically mean that you're inept...... it's just an added bonus with some ;)

Seriously though, I personally don't like the results from scanning b&w negs into the machine - the tone reproduction is quite harsh when it comes to contrast and I prefer to use a company called The Darkroom in Cheltenham - they're pretty darn helpful and have a postal service :)

yes, Jessops can re-print from black and white negative - they have a mono adjust function on the computer when scanning film, they also do sepia. It is c-type printing rather than hand printing and funnily enough, even though I work in Jessops, I just so happen to know my way around a black and white and colour enlarger..employment there doesn't automatically mean that you're inept...... it's just an added bonus with some ;)

Seriously though, I personally don't like the results from scanning b&w negs into the machine - the tone reproduction is quite harsh when it comes to contrast and I prefer to use a company called The Darkroom in Cheltenham - they're pretty darn helpful and have a postal service :)

Very helpful, thank you!
I don't suppose you would also know the prices for re-prints of 9x6 and 12x9 (I think they're the right dimensions :))?

erm.. pass, sorry!! Depending upon the lab the paper dimensions are (in inches): 6x4, 6x8, 6x9, 7x5, 8x10, 12x8, 12x10, 10x15 and a few labs have 12x16. If you're after allot of reprints the you might want to consider getting the whole roll of negs scanned onto a cd for £9.99 and then print them off as you would digitally at a cheaper price. Re-prints from negs are pricier than digi prints but off the top of my head I just couldn't say - sorry to be as clear as mud!

i stand suitably chastised ,,hand slapped and head bowed ,,,got to admit though, you are a bit of a rarity :D

Back