request to use a photo

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been requested permission to use a photo. Not the best of photos and I do not sell photos anyway. So what do you suggest I do.

Hello Alf,
I´m writing an aticle about pollinators for an evironmental magazine. In one of the sections I speak about how thrips contribute to the pollination of flowers. This photo could be really helpful for my section. Would you mind if I use it? Of course, I will cite your name on the paper.
Thanks,
Rosa

Here is the photo

Thrip party in a daisy by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Hmm!

In one part he says it is a magazine article (I wonder had he been commissioned or is he making a speculative submission?) and speaks of citing you in the paper inferring that it is a scientific treatise.......two very different things.

Purely my opinion:-
If a scientific paper that is for library submission then perhaps a small license fee to "cover your costs".

However, if he has been commissioned to write a magazine article (even if very industry specific it will have a circulation) that is sold either publicly or sent to paying subscribers within that scientific community.....money somewhere has been involved, so why should you be there the in the chain who not paid!!!

PS to him you have a possibly unique picture that = a value by way of a paid for licensed usage. So in the context of my thoughts above of a credit only that will mean nothing to or for you and FWIW that is IMO your right not for him to offer it! Any such article or treatise author has an obligation to list and acknowledge the sources of all referenced inclusions.

Even if you do not charge for the image make sure you have a licience agreement in place. Single use, not for re-sale etc......

Thanks Barry that makes sense

Hmm!

In one part he says it is a magazine article (I wonder had he been commissioned or is he making a speculative submission?) and speaks of citing you in the paper inferring that it is a scientific treatise.......two very different things.

If a scientific paper that is for library submission then perhaps a small license fee to "cover your costs".

However, if he has been commissioned to write a magazine article (even if very industry specific it will have a circulation) that is sold either publicly or sent to paying subscribers within that scientific community.....money somewhere has been involved, so why should you be there the in the chain who not paid!!!

PS to him you have a possibly unique picture that = a value by way of a paid for licensed usage. So in the context of my thoughts above of a credit only that will mean nothing to or for you and FWIW that is IMO your right not for him to offer it! Any such article or treatise author has an obligation to list and acknowledge the sources of all referenced inclusions.

Some good points
Alamy would charge £11.99 or £47.99 for a similar shot

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-t...isy-flower-leucanthemum-vulgare-76111593.html

Thanks Barry that makes sense

Some good points
Alamy would charge £11.99 or £47.99 for a similar shot

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-t...isy-flower-leucanthemum-vulgare-76111593.html

As you noted and stating the obvious, it is all about the licensing!

In regard to the fee, it is possible he has sought a stock image but was unwilling to pay level you have found. You have found example usages & license fee figures as a guide. So on the face of it, send him your license terms and the fee under the Alamy to suit an example usage.

I surmise he will plead 'no budget' but what is a modest fee should not be an impediment, unless of course he has already blown the budget paying for other images!

As discussed elsewhere, if a charity asks that would be either a donation (?) method of letting them have a license.....or a fee. But I see no reason why an author should not pay for images when used in a commercial environment!!!

Hmm!

I belong to the Lincolnshire Naturalist Union and we have an annual publication called Transactions . It costs the Union a great deal too produce, no one gets paid for contributing and it is free to all members. This type of article (or paper, as you will - the terms are interchangeable) is the life-blood of the Union and one of our main functions is educational. Most of the articles/papers have illustrations and the Union could not possibly afford to pay for them. Decent photographers and artists who allow their work to be used contribute in no small way to the education of the general public.

I belong to the Lincolnshire Naturalist Union and we have an annual publication called Transactions . It costs the Union a great deal too produce, no one gets paid for contributing and it is free to all members. This type of article (or paper, as you will - the terms are interchangeable) is the life-blood of the Union and one of our main functions is educational. Most of the articles/papers have illustrations and the Union could not possibly afford to pay for them. Decent photographers and artists who allow their work to be used contribute in no small way to the education of the general public.

I take your point....................unlike the contact that @alfbranch had you have put it all into to context ~ a members organisation with a once a year publication sent FoC to members with an aim of the Union being public education.

IMO it can do no harm to ask the enquirer about the magazine and and her involvement to clarify and qualify the who, what, why & where of the reason she has approached him?

The way she has approached Alf just comes across as 'yet another one asking for free usage of imagery' without at least making such an initial contact with sufficient context for him or anyone to make a meaningful reply that may sound like an 'interrogation' ;)

PS a FWIW I am a member of both the RSPB and my local WT, if the RSPB requested any imagery I would likely ask for some sort of modest payment (bearing in mind that they have a very large library of images to call upon)...............yes, they IMO do very good work but to not pay for external images does not sit right with me! The WT on the other hand are much lower funded and I would view them as 'my charity to make a licensed image' donation to :)

Last edited:
I have sent a message via Flickr asking for an email to discuss it.

That's a brilliant image that conveys a strong message - it's not all about art and beauty :) well done!

Can't help much - looks like plenty of good advice above, but I just wanted to say that image is great for use.

Back