Resample smaller?

Edit My Images
Yes
After looking into printing in more detail over the last week I now understand a lot more. The only thing that need to know is.....

Say I have a picture which I want printing at 7x5, which would work out at say 670 ppi from the image......would it be best to send it like that, or to resample it to be 7x5 at 300ppi giving 2100x1500 px. Or would it not make any difference.

So basically is it best to set the exact size with ppi, or if the ppi is higher than what you wish, e.g more than 300ppi then it's ok to just leave it?

If you are printing online (or I suppose even at home, but you generally have more control at home), I would suggest using crop to re-sample.
For photoshop (or elements I believe), you would get your image ready, saved, then load the crop tool. At the top bar, enter 7 in by 5in, and 300 dpi (or the resolution you want), then select the area you want.
None of my images are at the 'perfect' shape already, so the crop tool basically performs two tasks in one. This will down or up convert your image at the same time as re-shaping it.
If you are printing online, I would say this is a must, as some companies are useless and inconsistent at cropping.

Last edited:
Back