Review Research on Camera Bags

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

I wonder if you can help me. Im doing some research on camera bags and I wanted to find out what you want in a camera bag?

Please can you let me know your thoughts about what you want, dont want, what they need to have or shouldnt have, what makes a good one versus a bad one, your experiences with bags, what you love or hate, problems youve had in the past, what you wish someone would make.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

The problem is that no one bag fits all requirements, and it never will. Every bag will be a compromise somewhere - too big for one need, too small for another. Sometimes you want a bag which is easy to work out of when you put it down. Sometimes you want a bag you can work from without putting it down at all. I've got over half a dozen bags of various designs and sizes and I wheel them out depending on my needs for the occasion.

Personally I dislike shoulder/messenger bags as they can swing about and get in the way - yet I have two of them and occasionally they are the best option.

Rucksacks (I have four which I use for photography) provide a much better spread of load when carrying plenty of kit, but for the most part do not provide easy access to gear without taking the bag off and putting it on the ground, which might be muddy or wet.

Sling bags (I have one) provide rapid access to gear without removing the bag, which is a huge benefit for speed, safety, security, but placing a load onto one shoulder is not always ideal.

Overall I give the win to my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, which can take plenty of kit while not being overly heavy and bulky itself. With a rucksack design the load is spread well and the unusual rear entry to the main compartment adds security as well as allowing gear to be accessed without putting the bag down. The biggest negative is that despite ample interior space it is not ideally designed to hold two bodies at once, each with a mounted lens. Maybe I could rearrange dividers to provide that option, but I make do with one mounted lens and everything else separated for better overall flexibility.

To sum up the must haves for a general purpose bag...

- Lightweight in itself;
- Quick and convenient access to gear;
- Ability to hold two semi-pro (e.g. 5D3) bodies with lenses mounted (e.g. 24-70 and 70-200/2.8);
- Option for accessories like a flash, filters, food/drink, a tripod or monopod;
- Waterproof;
- Complies with carry-on luggage limits;
- Spreads load in ways suitable for the fully laden capacity;
- Ideally should not shout "EXPENSIVE CAMERA GEAR IN HERE".

Here are some of my bags - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4382205&postcount=15. I've since added another large camera rucksack and also use a lightweight, non-photographic rucksack when I just want something to carry a single camera/lens to and from a day out for walkabout shooting.

Last edited:
Want / Need:
- Comfy straps and point of contact to the body
- Bag can be used as normal bag perhaps using a removable insert
- Rain proof without silly cover over it
- Side ways camera storage or a clip on camera's grip so the weight isn't on the lens
- Messenger that is stylish and inconspicuous
- Messenger bag with a reasonable sized flap.
- Rucksack with compartment for other stuff
- Rucksack with tripod straps

Don't want / Shouldn't have:
- Unbreathable bags that makes me sweat like a pig.
- Single purpose bag, I'd spend no more than £30 on these
- Not rainproof bag (most cheap made bags)
- Ugly camera bag that shouts "steal this".
- Vertical camera storage, all the weight are resting on the tip of the plastic filter threads.
- Massive flap that gets in the way (like Thinktank Retrospective)

The Billingham Hadley Pro messenger bag in Fibrenyte I currently use pretty much fits all except at being a rucksack. It's stylish, it's not too big. Only downside is that shoulder pad is sold separately.

I've recently downsized from a DSLR kit (in a rucksack style bag) and have been desperately searching for something inexpensive and small to take an X-E1 and a couple of lenses. After much internet searching and review reading, I've decided to make my own. Will buy the bag I want from eBay (the wife has got it for my birthday) then buy the foam inserts and stitch them in by hand where I want them.

Tim's comments above pretty much sum up my feelings around needing different bags for different occasions.

Ian.

Thanks guys

Thats plenty to think about. If you think of more, let me know.

Paul

I've recently downsized from a DSLR kit (in a rucksack style bag) and have been desperately searching for something inexpensive and small to take an X-E1 and a couple of lenses. After much internet searching and review reading, I've decided to make my own. Will buy the bag I want from eBay (the wife has got it for my birthday) then buy the foam inserts and stitch them in by hand where I want them.

Tim's comments above pretty much sum up my feelings around needing different bags for different occasions.

Ian.

Ian, thats brave. You will have to post a pic when you are done converting your ebay bag to camera bag.

Back