Resigning

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

On Monday, I'm quitting my job. Because I hate it and I've found something else.

Now, in my entire working life I've never ever quit before - been a victim of temporary contracts, 'ongoing' contracts and redundancy, but never voluntarily quit.

What's the standard procedure for doing this given that I might want to go back one day (even though it'd be as a last resort). Do I just tell my supervisor, or do I need to put it in writing, or what?

You need to put it in writing, and be polite about it, no matter how much you hate it.

You'll also need to speak to who evever is responsible for HR in your job and find out what your notice period is. You'll have to work it or risk losing your losing your week/month in lieu or any holiday owing. First time I left Safeway they owed me 8 weeks holiday plus my final fortnights wages!!!! Was some bonus I can tell you and paid for a few beers in Val D'Isere!

A letter along the lines of ....

Dear Facist oppressor,

Working for your company sucks rhino cock. I am leaving because you all smell of badgers.

Will NOT suffice! Despite how good it'll make you feel!

Have to agree with the wisdom of Gandhi - never burn all your bridges as you never know when you may need to make the return journey. Short and polite is best - and expect to work your notice when planning your new start !

Good luck in the new venture !

Put it in writing and keep it polite.

Even though you might never want to return to the same company, some industries everyone knows everyone and word gets around.

Don't dither...just do it.

I broke my own rules once as a web designer...I packed my case and walked out with no job to go to. I was extremely lucky to walk straight into another job.

Don't suffer in a job you hate...GO FOR IT!

Speaking as someone who employs people in a small factory it is rare to receive a written resignation. Usually they just tell the supervisor who then informs me and my business partner.
If the person leaving is a valued employee you talk to them and try to find out why they are leaving. If you can sort out the reason you do.
If the employer has any sense they will try to change what has made the job so bad for you.

Don't think we have ever had anyone leave on bad terms - unless you count the one I sacked. We have also re employed at least 2 people that left then came back a few weeks later.

A letter is the correct way to do it but not essential. You should expect to work a notice period and you will get any holiday pay owing. A 'career improvement/experience' , 'going because you need the money' , 'less travelling'.... are all the sort of reasons that would not burn any bridges.

In a larger organisation you may be expected to attend a leaving interview, where they try to ascertain why you are leaving. Once again don't burn any bridges. Be honest about why you want to leave, whilst leaving any passionate comments out ;)

Some advice & examples on resignation letters here

Good luck with the new job

Normally a simple letter to say that you have found a new job with better prospects/money is the correct and formal way, but some just speak to their supervisor/boss and tell them of the situation. Be expected to work your contractual notice period also, although again some companies will let you leave straight after your notice has been given depending on the business and where you are going.

The above advice is correct but I recently left my job as I have emigrated, I had a very bad working relationship (actually everyone there has) with my boss, so I waited until payday, then went into work and told the boss to stick his job. I had already taken all my holidays, and did not have to work a week/month in hand when I started so I lost nothing apart from any chance of return.

If you want to have a look at some simple design templates for resignation letters pop over to http://www.i-resign.com/uk/home/ where you will find everything you need including some classic letters that break all the rules but are very amusing.

Mr. X,
As an employee of an institution of higher education, I have a few very basic expectations. Chief among these is that my direct superiors have an intellect that ranges above the common ground squirrel. After your consistent and annoying harassment of myself and my co-workers during the commission of our duties, I can only surmise that you are one of the few true genetic wastes of our time. Asking me, a network administrator, to explain every little nuance of everything I do each time you happen to stroll into my office is not only a waste of time, but also a waste of precious oxygen. I was hired because I know about Unix, and you were apparently hired to provide amusement to myself and other employees, who watch you vainly attempt to understand the concept of "cut and paste" for the hundredth time. You will never understand computers. Something as incredibly simple as binary still gives you too many options.

You will also never understand why people hate you, but I am going to try and explain it to you, even though I am sure this will be just as effective as telling you what an IP is. Your shiny new iMac has more personality than you ever will. You walk around the building all day, shiftlessly looking for fault in others. You have a sharp dressed useless look about you that may have worked for your interview, but now that you actually have responsibility, you pawn it off on overworked staff, hoping their talent will cover for your glaring ineptitude. In a world of managerial evolution, you are the blue-green algae that everyone else eats and laughs at. Managers like you are a sad proof of the Dilbert principle.

Seeing as this situation is unlikely to change without you getting a full frontal lobotomy reversal, I am forced to tender my resignation, however I have a few parting thoughts.

1. When someone calls you in reference to employment, it is illegal to give me a bad recommendation. The most you can say to hurt me is "I prefer not to comment." I will have friends randomly call you over the next couple of years to keep you honest, because I know you would be unable to do it on your own.

2. I have all the passwords to every account on the system, and I know every password you have used for the last five years. If you decide to get cute, I am going to publish your "favourites list", which I conveniently saved when you made me "back up" your useless files. I do believe that terms like "Lolita" are not usually viewed favourably by the administration.

3. When you borrowed the digital camera to "take pictures of your mothers b-day", you neglected to mention that you were going to take pictures of yourself in the mirror nude. Then you forgot to erase them like the techno-moron you really are. Suffice it to say I have never seen such odd acts with a ketchup bottle, but I assure you that those have been copied and kept in safe places pending the authoring of a glowing letter of recommendation. (Try to use a spell check please, I hate having to correct your mistakes.)

Thank you for your time, and I expect the letter of recommendation on my desk by 8:00 am tomorrow. One word of this to anybody, and all of your little twisted repugnant obsessions will be open to the public. Never **** with your sys admin, because they know what you do with all your free time.
Sincerely,
:)

Sometimes the truth is funny and much more amusing but not burning bridges can be more important.

Good luck woth the new job in any case. :thumb:

Well... went for another interview today and have landed a job as a computer technician! So, not one job offer on the table, but TWO!

Think I'm going to take the comp technician job instead of the other (customer services) one, as it pays lots more and its exactly the job I've been looking for for the last twelve months. :)

Oh, and I haven't resigned yet, either. Better fix that!

GfK said:
Think I'm going to take the comp technician job instead of the other (customer services) one, as it pays lots more and its exactly the job I've been looking for for the last twelve months. :)

Sounds like a good reason;)

Congratulations on your new position

& getting out of the previous one :thumb:

:first:

GfK said:
Well... went for another interview today and have landed a job as a computer technician! So, not one job offer on the table, but TWO!

Oh, and I haven't resigned yet, either. Better fix that!

As one door closes, another one opens.
Thats my philosophy in life and has kept me from cracking up on a number of occasions.

Sometimes you have to take calculated risks in life.
Congratulations on your new offer...just remember you may need a reference so leave on good terms ;)

Well until recently I was self employed and getting thoroughly fed up with it. I applied for some jobs never thinking I would get any and was offered all of them! Since I was my own boss, I walked into my office, called myself a money grubbing bas***d and stormed out. It made me feel good and I can always forgive myself later ;) The major plus side is that I am really enjoying what I'm doing now and should have made the change years ago so go for it gfk!

Hey, newbie here, so don't really know you but congratulations GFK. Always nice to read some good news in the morning.

Enjoy
James.

That's great news about the Job. Well done, I am really pleased for you. :)

COngrats...that'll be another person logged onto the site all day then ;)

Well done!

thanks for printing that Steve, made me laugh lots!

Great outcome so bully for you - let us know how the resigning went in the end ... after all that is what kicked the thread off ???

Best wishes,

Back