RESIZING A WINDOW IN GMAIL.

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just started using Gmail and I intend to stop using BT mail; which I've used for several years.

I create folders (or labels as Gmail calls them) for the various people I send emails to.

However I see that I cannot file sent emails into the relevant folders.

Googling this; I see there is a work around requiring me to create a new folder/label and then create a filter to move the sent email to this new folder.

The problem is that when I try to do this; Gmail opens a window which goes below the bottom of my screen. I cannot seem to resize or move the window so I can click the save or apply button!

So how can I resize or move the window so I can click whatever button that I need to at the bottom of the window?

The window in question:

upload_2018-10-14_13-47-34.png

Thanks.

I find this happens quite a lot when using desktop systems on the wrong machine - ie on my netbook. The solution is to use the app designed for your machine.

I find this happens quite a lot when using desktop systems on the wrong machine - ie on my netbook. The solution is to use the app designed for your machine.

Thanks.

I'm trying to do this on a laptop; not a phone or tablet device.

Surely; there must be some way to access the bottom of the window which has disappeared beneath the task bar?

Last edited:
Generally in gmail, you don't need to apply labels to the items, just use search criterial. I initially created loads, and ended up deleting them after a few years and just searching.
Typing someones name in the search bar will bring up all emails they are involved in instantly for example.

However I see that I cannot file sent emails into the relevant folders.
Yes you can! You do this in exactly the same way you do it for an incoming email.

Try changing the window from full screen to not-full screen (or vice versa).

Um; I can't see an option to change the size of the window from full screen to not full screen.

I'm probably being thick; but I just cannot see a way of moving or changing the size of the window.

Yes you can! You do this in exactly the same way you do it for an incoming email.

If you can; I can't see how.

When I try to file a email from my inbox I have these (and more) options i.e the folders (labels) I have created:

slheev.png

If I try to move a sent e-mail; these are my options:

350rrd0.png

Selecting the black down arrow in a box icon allows me to move sent mails to my inbox only. There are no no other filing options available.

Weirdly; if I move a sent email to my inbox; I still cannot move it to one of my folders.

If I'm doing something wrong; I'd appreciate an explanation of how to move my sent mails to my chosen folders.

Thanks.

Um; I can't see an option to change the size of the window from full screen to not full screen.

I'm probably being thick; but I just cannot see a way of moving or changing the size of the window.
On the top bar of the window, either on the far left or on the far right, are three items: a cross to close the window, a horizontal line to minimise the window and a third item which maximises the window or, if already maximised, un-maximises the window. That third item.

On the top bar of the window, either on the far left or on the far right, are three items: a cross to close the window, a horizontal line to minimise the window and a third item which maximises the window or, if already maximised, un-maximises the window. That third item.

Thanks again.

But if you look at the image of the window I posted in my first post of this thread; you'll see that there is no cross to close the window, no horizontal line to minimise the window, and no third icon to maximise the window on either the left or right side of the window. There are no symbols/icons whatsoever.

For the sack of clarity; the search symbol, my obscured email address, the cross and the grid of squares on the left are not part of the window. They are sitting directly above the window.

Sorry if I'm being incredibly dense; but I still see no way of moving or resizing the window.

Cheers.

Sorry if I'm being incredibly dense; but I still see no way of moving or resizing the window.
What is the actual objective here? Is it to label your emails correctly, or is it to solve this window-sizing problem? If it's the former, then you don't need to be mucking around with filters, and you don't need to create a label "SENT EMAILS BY ME" because that label already exists by default.

I can walk you through the process but first I'd need to know what system you're using. Are you using Gmail in Windows 10? (That looks like a Win 10 screen shot.) If so, which browser are you using to access Gmail?

What is the actual objective here? Is it to label your emails correctly, or is it to solve this window-sizing problem? If it's the former, then you don't need to be mucking around with filters, and you don't need to create a label "SENT EMAILS BY ME" because that label already exists by default.

I can walk you through the process but first I'd need to know what system you're using. Are you using Gmail in Windows 10? (That looks like a Win 10 screen shot.) If so, which browser are you using to access Gmail?

The objective is to put my sent emails in a folder; so I can keep both the sent emails any received emails from a particular person together in the same folder.

I wasn't able to do this; so I Googled a solution and found this:

https://it.fitnyc.edu/2014/10/22/video-gmail-sent-mail-folder-workaround/

However when I try to follow the instructions in the video linked to above; I get the problem of the window size being such that I cannot select either 'apply' or 'save' as I cannot actually click any buttons at the bottom of the window.

So the primary objective is to sort my sent emails. Though of course; it would be nice to be able to solve the 'window problem' in case it ever occurs again.

Yes; the system is Windows 10 and the browser is Chrome.

Thanks.

EDIT: The video linked to above suggests that I do create an alternate 'Sent Email' folder.

Last edited:
The objective is to put my sent emails in a folder; so I can keep both the sent emails any received emails from a particular person together in the same folder.
Yes; the system is Windows 10 and the browser is Chrome.
Great. Same system that I use. We can do this.

HOWEVER, the first thing to note is that GMAIL DOES NOT USE FOLDERS. Apologies if I'm labouring this, but it is fundamentally important to understand. With other email applications, if you want to file an email in two places (eg one person-related folder and one subject-related folder) you make a copy of it and put one copy in each folder. However in Gmail, there is only ever one copy of an email. You can attach multiple labels to it, and the labels work like virtual folders. But the crucial difference is this. In other email applications, if you delete an email from one folder there could still be a copy of it in another folder. in Gmail, if you delete it from one "folder", it's gone. There is only the one copy. OK?

Anyway, it follows from the above that "Inbox" is not a folder, it's just a label. "Sent" is not a folder, it's just a label. You can put sent items in your inbox, just by attaching the appropriate label. And so on.

Now to your problem.

My first observation is that if you want to be able to find all the emails to and from a particular person, you don't need to create labels for that. Just start typing the person's name or email address in the Gmail search bar:
upload_2018-10-15_9-45-13.png

That will quickly bring up all the conversations and emails involving that person:
upload_2018-10-15_9-48-38.png

But if you do want to apply a label to all these conversations, there are a couple of ways to do it. Firstly, you need to select all the emails. By default, clicking the 'select all'button will select all the emails on the current page; if there is more than one page worth and you want to select them all, you need to additionally click on 'Select all conversations that match this search':
upload_2018-10-15_9-56-6.png

Then just click on the 'Label' button, and apply the label(s) you want:
upload_2018-10-15_10-25-50.png

Alternatively you can drag a label from the list on the left onto the selected conversations, and it will be applied to all of them.

Does that do what you want? If not, what do you want that's different?

Last edited:
Stewart; thank you so much!

I've just tried this, and despite my computer ineptitude, it seems to work.

Thank you for your detailed response, it is incredibly helpful.

If I understand your explanation correctly, I am not moving a particular conversation/email into a specific folder, I am just applying labels to those emails. Those labels can then be filed under each relevant persons name.

This would actually seem to be better than what I wanted to do, as it means that emails involving multiple senders & recipients can be found by looking in each persons 'folder'.

I'm amazed that did not come up when I first tried to Google the solution. Every link I looked at talked about creating an alternate sent label and creating a rule to relabel all sent mails with this new label name.

I really appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to help me - thanks again.

I'll even stop worrying about how to resize that window!

Cheers.

Last edited:
You're very welcome.

The difference between folders and labels takes some people a bit of getting used to, but I think labels are vastly more powerful than folders once you've got your head around the concept. There's never any need to worry about where an email "is", because there is only the one "place".

One other HUGE difference between Gmail and other email applications is the "conversation view". You can enable and disable this from the Settings. Personally I think it's great and vastly better than the "old" way of working. You can see from my screen shots that I have conversation view enabled: each entry in those lists isn't a single email but a whole conversation, containing up to (in one case) 19 separate emails. No need to worry about incoming emails being in the Inbox folder and outgoing emails bring in the Sent folder - they're automatically all grouped together. But some people find this concept difficult, especially if they're forced to use something like Outlook at work which doesn't have a conversation view. If you haven't tried it - and I'm guessing you haven't, judging from the way you talk about sent emails - then you really should. You'll never go back!

Last edited:
@StewartR - I love conversation view in Outlook - yes, it does have it :)
Fair enough. The last time I used any email application other than Gmail was probably about 2009. At the time, conversation view was unique to Gmail. I guess it's only natural that other applications would have copied it if it were popular. Thanks for setting me straight.

If you're still missing your window of the edge, use the windows key, and an arrow key together. This moved the window to different parts of the screen (or multiple screens.)

Fair enough. The last time I used any email application other than Gmail was probably about 2009. At the time, conversation view was unique to Gmail. I guess it's only natural that other applications would have copied it if it were popular. Thanks for setting me straight.

Stewart, sorry if my post came across as a bit patronising - it certainly wasn't meant to be, hence the smiley :)

Back