Resizing in Vista to send in email

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
No
I've just noticed, to my horror (after sending many emails to people and not realising this), the appalling quality of photos when Vista resizes them for attaching to an email. This happens whether my original is RAW or JPEG. It's clear that what Vista is doing is compressing them far FAR too much. I cannot easily find a setting to change this, and spending about 20 minutes Googling for an answer hasn't come up with anything. Does anyone know what I can do please to increase the quality?

I see that there are image resizers I could download for this purpose but I'd rather not install more software when what already comes with Vista should work.

Thanks,
Geoff.

Can you zip them first?

Are you using Outlook?

Can you use something like Gmail?

Thanks for replying. I could resize them first for sure, but I want something that will do it in a few clicks. I use Thunderbird for email with a Gmail account. The point is that I want to be able to right click any image, without doing any editing, and select the size to email it at. The facility is there but the quality is just too low. I'm sure there is a setting for this somewhere, possibly a registry edit.

Do you have the option of attaching a file or photo? Hotmail compresses photos when attached as photo but if you attach it as a file it doesn't compress them at all.

May mean you sending more than one email though :thinking:

Do you have the option of attaching a file or photo? Hotmail compresses photos when attached as photo but if you attach it as a file it doesn't compress them at all.

May mean you sending more than one email though :thinking:

Yes I can attach a photo, and even change the size - But it doesn't actually change it's size, only how it appears (so maybe still a massive email when it shouldn't need to be). Doing it like that also won't convert RAW files to JPEG like using Vista's built-in facility does.

I view my photos in Windows Explorer, and as I go through them I like to email a few now and then. I should be able to highlight the ones I wish to send, select 'Send to' then 'mail recipient' and it'll resize them as I ask. It's the quickest possible way of doing it. If I'm not able to resolve this quality problem, then I'll just resize them with other software and then send them as I just described, but using the 'full size' option, as that doesn't compress them. :)

Thanks for those links Slapo. I took a look and the second one really doesn't seem to be what I want, but the first looks great. I don't know if it'll attach a photo to an email quickly too, but even if not, it'll still be a quicker way of resizing. I'll give that a go. :)

Back