Resizing pictures for on here

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I am utterly confounded and confused. My understanding of picture sizing is that if it is 50MB it is good quality, take that same picture to 500kb and it is downsized....a nd crap. I have been desperately trying to resize a picture, it is now down to 800 pixels at 72dpi and only 500kb... but it says it is too big for the system to upload.

What do I have to do to get it to load. The panoramic, which is much bigger loaded perfectly happily... it is so confusing (the panoramic has lost most of it's definition and looks fuzzy though).

I always copy the BBcode from Flickr and sized at 1024px
Seems to work OK for me ;)

That's a photo that's hosted on Flickr. and just displayed here. I'm guessing Simon is talking about the "attach files" button where you can just upload the image to the site.

In my experience it needs to be less than 500kb - so four hundred and something. I now have a LR export function just for here that constrains the image to 1000px on the longest side and 450kb in size. Not had a problem since I did this. Before that it was very hit & miss.

Too big to upload is an error I got when it was too close to 500kb (or in excess of it). I don't think pixel dimensions matter as much.

I could be wrong though...

You can open an account on IMGUR, it's free.

I resize pictures to 1,000 on the longest edge and then upload them to IMGUR then copy the BBCode and post it on the forum. It seems to work every time.

I am utterly confounded and confused. My understanding of picture sizing is that if it is 50MB it is good quality, take that same picture to 500kb and it is downsized....a nd crap. I have been desperately trying to resize a picture, it is now down to 800 pixels at 72dpi and only 500kb... but it says it is too big for the system to upload.

What do I have to do to get it to load. The panoramic, which is much bigger loaded perfectly happily... it is so confusing (the panoramic has lost most of it's definition and looks fuzzy though).
I resize to 1024 max longest edge and around 480Kb total file size, always works.

Are you working in Lightroom Simon? On export, set the image size to 1024 longest edge, max file size 480kb as Gramps says. I also set sharpening to low, because at that size no sharpening is really needed.

Max width 1200, quality 90% works for me.

FWIW.
I use my old PS Elements 5 and select 1024 as the longest size.....however sometimes it is rejected as too big....KB wise. I then just select a smaller (normally 800) pixel length...which is usually OK!

Back