RESOLVED How does this work?......BEWI lighmeter RESOLVED

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Digging through bits, I've come across this lightmeter that I don't recall ever acquiring!!

Anyway It's really small and as such I may hang onto it if I can figure out how it works.

When the chrome button is depressed the dial showing the shutter speeds spins around but it stops at the same location regardless of brightness of light source.

Is it broken or am I doing something wrong?

bewi 2.jpg

Is it broken or am I doing something wrong?
Could be both! Bewi meters that I have seen work differently to other meters. I am sitting here racking my brains to think how they work but I cannot remember precisely but I think you need to press the button for ten seconds or so and then release to get a reading.

If it is working then it is on releasing the button that it shows the right exposure and holds it at that.

If it is working then it is on releasing the button that it shows the right exposure and holds it at that.

It's not looking promising.:(

This is what you do to find your exposure reading:

To use it: mount it on the cold shoe of an appropriate camera, selenium cell facing out so it sees what you're aiming at. Turn the dial to set the film speed. Then press the button and the dial will spin to show you the aperture-ƒ/number pairs.

This is what you do to find your exposure reading:

To use it: mount it on the cold shoe of an appropriate camera, selenium cell facing out so it sees what you're aiming at. Turn the dial to set the film speed. Then press the button and the dial will spin to show you the aperture-ƒ/number pairs.

That's how I presumed it would work.

By the looks of it, it's malfunctioning…....daylight will be a better option to try it out rather than internal lamps.

That's how I presumed it would work.

By the looks of it, it's malfunctioning…....daylight will be a better option to try it out rather than internal lamps.

Just took a look at mine - only works down to EV6 or so (bright indoor light) - you do need to hold the button down for a few seconds to allow the internals to work (the dial goes fully counterclockwise) then release gently ( the dial goes clockwise) until it stops at measured exposure and stays there.

hold the button down for a few seconds to allow the internals to work (the dial goes fully counterclockwise) then release gently ( the dial goes clockwise) until it stops at measured exposure and stays there.

YES! Brilliant!

It works!

Thank you very much for your help David;)

The trick seems to be the gentle release of the button.

I've fired off a few digital frames using the readings from the meter and it appears to be spot on for accuracy.

it appears to be spot on for accuracy.

An irrelevant post for most folk but I just had to mention how "Spot on" this little meter really is.

Regardless of light levels, indoors or outside, this little BEWI matches exactly the readings offered by my L308 meter…….I find that pretty remarkable tbh!

Back