Resolved :) LibreOffice on an iMac - 'Save as'

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I am opening documents from a folder in Finder > Documents and wanting to edit the files and save them to an SD card, however I cannot see a way to save them directly.
I can save to Desktop and then 'drag' them into the SD card icon on the Desktop but I cannot find a way to have the SD card as an option to save to directly ... it isn't displayed as an option.
Any idea how I can do this please?

Does it not appear as a drive letter?

Nuts, just realised you're on a Mac - they seem to have issues with connectivity to external drives.

Last edited:
OS-X uses disk names rather than drive letters.

I am opening documents from a folder in Finder > Documents and wanting to edit the files and save them to an SD card
From LibreOffice | File | Save As... you should see the standard file dialogue. The current directory name will be displayed in a pull down immediately above the file list (on the same line as the display type buttons). Pull this down and select your main directory (i.e. the name of your computer). You should then see the SD card as a folder. Select that and click the Save button,

Last edited:

Nuts, just realised you're on a Mac - they seem to have issues with connectivity to external drives.
Maybe that’s true but not generally, they are happy to boot off external drives for example. My experience is rather the opposite in that if you happen to have external drives connected that have apps installed on them, even older versions of the same apps you are using on the boot drive, they are quite likely to run those, instead of the boot copy, when ‘asked’ leading to some confusing results. I suppose you might call that an ‘issue’ but not what’s usually meant by that :).

If you go into Finder's Preferences and click the Sidebar tab, you can make sure that External Disks is selected. The SD card should then show up in the sidebar under Locations.

That's nice and easy and works great, thanks Gary and thanks all for assistance. (y)

I've been using Macs of one sort or another since 1983. Never had a problem connecting to any drive or device for which I've had a valid driver. Of course, if you attempt to connect any device to an operating system that lacks the correct driver to talk to the device, there will be problems.

I've been using Macs of one sort or another since 1983. Never had a problem connecting to any drive or device for which I've had a valid driver. Of course, if you attempt to connect any device to an operating system that lacks the correct driver to talk to the device, there will be problems.
My MacBook was a nightmare with USB connections, frequently failing to recognise external HDDs, mice, memory sticks and external card readers. There was also an issue where they would cripple write and read speeds on flash drives, causing permanent changes that made the drives very slow. Presumably another bug that's now history.

I got started a bit later than you, with the IIe in late 80s and Mac's in 1990.

Last edited:
Presumably another bug that's now history.
I seem to have missed that. The only device I recall being a problem was an Epson Scanner that refused to talk through the supplied driver. That was back on the second version of OS-X with an original iMac. I suspect it was due to the programmers not being up to speed with the switch to Unix. The work around involved an ancient copy of Windows on an otherwise unemployed Sony Picturebook and a network cable. I'm sure William Heath Robinson would be proud of me! :naughty:

My MacBook was a nightmare with USB connections, frequently failing to recognise external HDDs, mice, memory sticks and external card readers. There was also an issue where they would cripple write and read speeds on flash drives, causing permanent changes that made the drives very slow. Presumably another bug that's now history.

I got started a bit later than you, with the IIe in late 80s and Mac's in 1990.
That’s more like my experience with Windows :). I got hooked on Macs when I got an iBook and when I went from dialup to broadband I followed all the instrucions on my Windows machine (there were no instructions for the Mac) repeatedly for a day or so and never achieved a connection. Eventually ‘just to see what happened’ I plugged the Ethernet into the Mac and it ‘just worked’ :) and then the Windows machine ‘just worked’ :) — I was probably on Windows 3.1 I guess, it may have improved since :LOL::exit:

Back