Restoring faded photo

Edit My Images
Yes
I would really appreciate if someone could give me some pointers and advice on how to restore this photo as it is an old friend of mine and his wife.

I know he would love it if i could be brought back from it's current condition.

First I'd select the darker area and lighten it, then convert it to black and white, finally I'd hand colour it, add a new layer set to colout and paint on the colour of your choice. Heres a very quick rough impression of how I'd do it (hope you don't mind). Wayne
3370285492_3e5eccfbe9_o.jpg

There's something very odd about this image. The right hand figure has obviously been superimposed at some stage - it has that typical 'cut-out' look to the outline and even the grain structure is different to the rest of the image. There's no feeling that these two people were ever together for this shot - they seem totally disconnected. I'm not entirely sure the guy hasn't been added against a different background either. That very odd flare light looks entirely digital to me. No matter of course - people do ask for these sort of montages to be done for various reasons.

Good job by Wayne but a couple of points to bear in mind. The name of the game is restoration - that means restoring the shot as near as possible to how it looked initially and in keeping with it's age. I used to do a lot of this work for a major lab and they were sticklers about this. Blurring backgrounds, changing the tone, or adding new backgrounds were totally frowned on unless the customer asked for it, or the photo was in such a state that it was a pure rescue job.

I was just showing what could be done fairly quickly, I wouldn't do that for a customer unless they asked.
Theres someting not right with her hair either, it does look digital but it's also aged and faded by the look of it, very odd. Maybe Haggisuk can shed some light?? Wayne

Thanks Guys for taking the time to look at it, I too came to the same conclusion about the image being made, the woman's hair being the biggest give away for me.

Anyway as far as I know someone made this quite a few years ago for the old boy after his wife died, but my guess was that it was digital, so not too long ago. :)

Thx for the ideas I will try them out, must dust off the photoshop book....

Back