Restoring the Crown Graphic! (In bits again..)

That looks fantasic, can't wait to see the images. I might have to look for one as my begining into LF.

Mart

Absolutely stunning Liam. Amazing to see what was hidden behind the ageing leatherette covering isn't it (y)

(and to think I was feeling proud of my photo-diy skills for flock-coating the inside of a couple of lens hoods yesterday :bonk:)

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I was looking for another one to restore but the prices have rocketed over the last 6 months. You would be very lucky to get one for £100 now.

I actually put the money down for a chamonix LF camera and a modern 150mm lens but the sale fell through. I am sort of glad it did as I didn't really have the money at the moment but when I get out of uni I will get one :D

And the images...

Starting to get some negatives I am happy with.

Last edited:
Great stuff. I have a lot to learn.

Mart

what wrinkle paint did you use?

It's a bit further up in the thread...

Hi Ceejay, this the paint I used Black Wrinkle Paint, well worth the £10 but its the hardest paint I have ever used.

You have to do a base coat followed by 3 coats of the wrinkle paint leaving 10 minutes between each. You then heat it up for the wrinkles to appear using a heat gun or hairdryer. The problem is that the amount of wrinkles depend on the material/paint thickness/temperature of the room/temperature of the hairdryer...
This is why the front is less wrinkly than the lensboard! I will probably give the lensboard another go to see if I can get it to match.

Hi Ceejay, this the paint I used Black Wrinkle Paint, well worth the £10 but its the hardest paint I have ever used.

You have to do a base coat followed by 3 coats of the wrinkle paint leaving 10 minutes between each. You then heat it up for the wrinkles to appear using a heat gun or hairdryer. The problem is that the amount of wrinkles depend on the material/paint thickness/temperature of the room/temperature of the hairdryer...
This is why the front is less wrinkly than the lensboard! I will probably give the lensboard another go to see if I can get it to match.

Hi Liam

Thanks for the info on the paint.
I had used something similar years ago on an MGB dashboard instead of a PVC type covering, didn't realise one could still get it.
You are obviously a perfectionist. Your camera is looking better each time I see it. Congrats are in order.

Regards C

Back