Restoring your previous version of Windows

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Just trying to boot up my 14 month old HP laptop, and it came up with the following message - "Restoring your previous version of Windows". It is running Windows 10 (from new), and last night it took around three hours to boot up, after loading the latest updates. When I came back to it, the machine had shut itself down or maybe the battery had gone flat.
It had a several albums on it plus the latest wedding shots (RAW and edited JPG's) but they are backed up to external HD and desktop.
Has anyone else come across this, because it is a right PITA?

If the battery went flat during an important update may have caused damage to the OS preventing the laptop from booting successfully.

Too late now but always be plugged into the mains when updating.

Not happened to me so no answers for you.

Just wait and hope I think Andy.

Just a quick update. It finished its little task around 1pm, and I have booted it up and shut it down a couple of times. All the files are still there, so I will just have to keep an eye on it. In theory this laptop should be more powerful and quicker than my desktop (£299 Zoostorm from Argos) but in practice nothing could be further from the truth. I amy have to disable automatic updates on the laptop.

I'd keep the updates to automatic if I were you. They are more important than ever with security issues being discovered practically on a weekly basis.

Just lock your laptop overnight occasionally to receive the updates and ensure it's connected to the mains.

Yup as above keep updates on, just make sure you don't get power loss (it says don't power off during updates for good reason).

Turning updates off may see you go without updates for example such as the client fixes for issues such as the KRACK wifi issue that surfaced this week.

Back