Restrictions eased: Who's getting out?

Edit My Images
No
As above, anyone heading out from tomorrow? I'll probably stay local because of sunset/sunrise times but it'll be interesting to see the reactions visitors to the national parks get, as long as people are respectful I hope pitchforks aren't out

Living this close (3 miles approx) to the south coast and not being able to go for a walk along any proms or beach has been frustrating. Be nice to be abl;e to get out and enjoy will be a nice change

Just take note wales is still closed by law not just a guideline

It’s tempting, not sure though. May wait a while yet. I’ve noticed residents of rural areas and national parks (Cumbria in particular) seem to be very angry about the thought of people going there. Some even still self declaring the areas ‘closed’.

Golfing on Thursday. Safer out there than in a supermarket.

Would like to get to reserve and try getting a shot of the elusive Sea Eagle, but probably wait a few days to avoid overcrowding....

Yeah, right! I can't recall hearing of any middle aged men who've dropped dead or been struck by lightning half way round Aldi! ;)

Oddly, the only person I know who has been struck by lightning was hit while out taking photos!

Best way to avoid being hit out on a course is to hold a 1 iron up in the air - even a god can't hit a 1 iron... :p

Golfing on Thursday. Safer out there than in a supermarket.
Not if I'm on the course it isn't. Sorry Nod I hate golf, only "played" it once, I was a danger to everyone everywhere.

Not going anywhere
Promised a friend she can have my car to do shopping and visit her elderly mother to make sure all is ok
Then perhaps get away from here to a beach hut she shares with someone.
She is stuck here all week due to work so deserves to get away and her car may be in the garage if they
don't get it finished quick

Not going anywhere
Promised a friend she can have my car to do shopping and visit her elderly mother to make sure all is ok
Then perhaps get away from here to a beach hut she shares with someone.
She is stuck here all week due to work so deserves to get away and her car may be in the garage if they
don't get it finished quick

Think visiting other family members and going to ‘holiday homes’ are both still banned. Day trips are allowed but not stays.

Think visiting other family members and going to ‘holiday homes’ are both still banned. Day trips are allowed but not stays.

You mean visiting to drop off essential shopping and not going into the house ?
I've been doing that since the beginning for various neighbours, yes she does stay outside in the garden for a quick chat with her mum which is allowed now, meetings of 2 people instead of 3 as before as longs as you keep the 2m apart

You mean visiting to drop off essential shopping and not going into the house ?
I've been doing that since the beginning for various neighbours, yes she does stay outside in the garden for a quick chat with her mum which is allowed now, meetings of 2 people instead of 3 as before as longs as you keep the 2m apart

Not what was implied.

It’s tempting, not sure though. May wait a while yet. I’ve noticed residents of rural areas and national parks (Cumbria in particular) seem to be very angry about the thought of people going there. Some even still self declaring the areas ‘closed’.

Do hope these people won't venture into the towns or cities to do their shopping.

Yes that's what I've noticed, while we're allowed by law the thought of having the car potentially vandalised doesn't appeal. Cumbria is too far for me in a day but I see no issue if people go for a quiet walk in the fells or around a lake while respecting the guidelines, the local people and taking extra care to avoid accidents. The points to note are towns and villages will be essentially closed along with public conveniences, so you'd think only hardened walkers or outdoors people would want to visit anyway and they should take supplies from home. At some stage people will have to come to terms with this virus, things may not ever be as 'safe' as they once were.

Had to go over to Exeter for some emergency plumbing supplies, due to discovering the hard way that the bath waste was bodged by the installers. Very quiet and everyone on the road and in the shop very polite. Got the bits home and realised I'd missed one essential item off my order! :sulk:

Bath waste to drain pipe replacement  parts GX7 P1140481.JPG

Do hope these people won't venture into the towns or cities to do their shopping.

Innit doh. Or expect anyone to deliver food and essential supplies to them, from any urban areas...

Me. I will be in Glencoe going forward :D

Indeed I went last night and it was epic - there is no risk of catching the wuhan virus or passing it on in the extremely early/late hours when the light is nice in Glencoe. I've more chance of catching it/transmitting it at in my socially distanced supermarket.

Last edited:

Indeed I went last night and it was epic - there is no risk of catching the wuhan virus or passing it on in the extremely early/late hours when the light is nice in Glencoe. I've more chance of catching it/transmitting it at in my socially distanced supermarket.

Exactly...even if it was busy it seems unlikely to catch it outdoors. Enjoy Glencoe, at least things feel a bit more normal now we can travel

And wales is Still closed for another 3 weeks , by order of of his highness mark drachford.. getting frustrated and p***ed off now

What I noticed is that Loch Lomond is extremely busy - particularly with young people camping, drinking and having BBQ's and there is diddly squat social distancing. I just hope that a lack of common sense doesn't see the Wuhan virus upsurge to the point where we go back to complete lockdown.

The Glen though was eerily quiet with the devils staircase car park dead - which never is the case on a friday evening. The weekend might be different but the next still day is Monday and that is when I will be back in Glencoe.

Torren Lochan has sadly seen some tree's come down so a photo I like to take is well and truly off the menue - but I've scouted some new locations for another time.

Would I get away with car-camping for a few days somewhere in Glencoe or Skye? Proper wild holiday is badly needed and the weather appears to be suitable. Diesel is cheap and I heard there are plenty of deer for BBQ :)

Would I get away with car-camping for a few days somewhere in Glencoe or Skye? Proper wild holiday is badly needed and the weather appears to be suitable. Diesel is cheap and I heard there are plenty of deer for BBQ :)

Easily - just park a bit off the beaten track and dibble will never catch you.

Bloody windy though - but taking a look at Glencoe/Ske Monday/Tuesday when it’s a bit calmer.

In Scotland you still shouldn't be travelling any significant distance. 5 miles from home is "strongly recommended". Granted the police are unlikely to enforce it, but the mood of Skye residents is strongly against non-residents rocking up and car camping etc. I recommend you respect their views to avoid antagonising.

In Scotland you still shouldn't be travelling any significant distance. 5 miles from home is "strongly recommended". Granted the police are unlikely to enforce it, but the mood of Skye residents is strongly against non-residents rocking up and car camping etc. I recommend you respect their views to avoid antagonising.

Strongly recommended means the police cannot enforce diddly squat.

Given photography times are at extremely antisocial times and when it's very quiet there is no risk of spreading the virus, or indeed catching it.

I've been to Assynt, Skye, Glencoe all without encountering a single person. With the correctly precautions, take food, water and keep to yourself you won't pose a risk to anyone.

Indeed the guidelines go so far to suggest that if a place is busy/popular is is fine to travel to another place that's quieter or go somewhere at an unusual time.

The summer of 2020 has been amazing for my photography.

There's a lot of political correctness around travelling that's for sure, even here in England. The government wouldn't have allowed travel or small outdoor gatherings unless they were satisfied there was limited risk, and there doesn't appear to be a spike since VE Day congas or crowds at Durdle Door. It will be interesting to see if there are spikes after the recent protests/riots. If not it will beg the question why are some tourist boards still so afraid of visitors. There was an interesting debate in The Telegraph about this some weeks ago, where a few Cumbrian residents said the official tourist board doesn't speak for them or the businesses of the area as most Cumbrians would happily welcome visitors - who's right, I don't know, but I doubt it's as clear cut as the internet would suggest. I visited the Peak District on Saturday which is my closest National Park - I only saw two other walkers and had a fantastic day of photography. Their tourist agency wouldn't have welcomed me either but there were no dangers whatsoever especially as I brought supplies from home. Respect communities absolutely and use common sense, but social media often gives a disproportionate voice to a minority.

There's a lot of political correctness around travelling that's for sure, even here in England. The government wouldn't have allowed travel or small outdoor gatherings unless they were satisfied there was limited risk, and there doesn't appear to be a spike since VE Day congas or crowds at Durdle Door. It will be interesting to see if there are spikes after the recent protests/riots. If not it will beg the question why are some tourist boards still so afraid of visitors. There was an interesting debate in The Telegraph about this some weeks ago, where a few Cumbrian residents said the official tourist board doesn't speak for them or the businesses of the area as most Cumbrians would happily welcome visitors - who's right, I don't know, but I doubt it's as clear cut as the internet would suggest. I visited the Peak District on Saturday which is my closest National Park - I only saw two other walkers and had a fantastic day of photography. Their tourist agency wouldn't have welcomed me either but there were no dangers whatsoever especially as I brought supplies from home. Respect communities absolutely and use common sense, but social media often gives a disproportionate voice to a minority.

Indeed and the social media message is very shrill.

From a scientific point of view the virus doesn't spread very well outdoors. It's indoor spaces that are concern however but a lone man going for a wonder in the hills or setting up by a lake. No risk whatsoever.

Go about your outdoor business as you normally would and be safe and practical and there is no risk to anyone.

Skye potentially for me next week. This really is a corker of a summer and it's given me some of the best shots I've ever taken in Scotland.

Indeed and the social media message is very shrill.

From a scientific point of view the virus doesn't spread very well outdoors. It's indoor spaces that are concern however but a lone man going for a wonder in the hills or setting up by a lake. No risk whatsoever.

Go about your outdoor business as you normally would and be safe and practical and there is no risk to anyone.

Skye potentially for me next week. This really is a corker of a summer and it's given me some of the best shots I've ever taken in Scotland.

Exactly, being outdoors is as safe as it can be and beneficial as healthy people are at less risk, instead of piling on pounds watching TV.

Good to hear that, it's been surprisingly decent for me too. There's been some dramatic skies around and mixed with quiet places is obviously great for photography. I'll look forward to seeing your Skye pictures.

Back