Result ! - Should I own up ?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
A couple of days ago I ordered from Ebay a fully refurbished and guaranteed Panasonic GX8, from Panasonic Europe's outlet store (who operate on Ebay).

Well today it turned up and apart from the box looking a little dog eared, the camera itself is in absolutely mint condition without a mark what so ever. I was checking that all the accessories were there and I then saw something else in the box and thought - "what's that ?". Imagine my surprise when I unwrapped the mystery item to reveal a brand new Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 lens and hood !

I double checked my Ebay sale and it's definitely body only (and for just over £500, so it should be). I've never been this lucky in my life, but part of me is wondering if I should let them know they have sent me the wrong package (or do I just keep quiet and enjoy my free gift) ?

A couple of days ago I ordered from Ebay a fully refurbished and guaranteed Panasonic GX8, from Panasonic Europe's outlet store (who operate on Ebay).

Well today it turned up and apart from the box looking a little dog eared, the camera itself is in absolutely mint condition without a mark what so ever. I was checking that all the accessories were there and I then saw something else in the box and thought - "what's that ?". Imagine my surprise when I unwrapped the mystery item to reveal a brand new Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 lens and hood !

I double checked my Ebay sale and it's definitely body only (and for just over £500, so it should be). I've never been this lucky in my life, but part of me is wondering if I should let them know they have sent me the wrong package (or do I just keep quiet and enjoy my free gift) ?

Enjoy your free gift.......or give/sell it to me if you like?

Be careful, you might get some poor worker sacked! Best just forget about all this as they may have children to feed.
:D

I doubt they even knew it was there.

Just bought that lens,its so nice keep it.

Hmm tricky, honesty and karma is a valid point then again so is the possible repercussions to any employee so very much a moral dilemma.... easy for me to say notify them but honestly I doubt I would in the balance of probabilities...

Exactly ^^^
TBH - I would probably just keep it. If they asked for it back, send it, but otherwise enjoy your bonus 'buy'.

They didn't notice it was there. You still haven't noticed that it's there ... ;)

Its not yours, so yes tell them and make them collect so it doesn't cost you anything, give them a reasonable 28-days to organise that and tell them that if they can't be bothered then you'll happily 'store' & 'test' it for them

If you were dishonest enough to simply keep it I doubt you'd have asked in here, as if you do keep it no-one who sees this will ever trust you will they! :(

In fact as we'll never know for sure if you send it back you're probably already 'tainted' :D

In future though either be dishonest and keep stuff you know isn't yours, or be honest and just contact the sender - but DON'T go telling anyone unless you send it back lol

Dave

Under law it probably could be consider "thieft by finding" I would let them know but be sure to put the responsibility clearly on them to resolve the issue, in all likely hood they will say to keep it but best to do things properly

We all have our own morals and only you can decide what you're comfortable with. Personally I would definitely notify the seller without question as I see it as the right thing to do, just as I would hope that someone would notify me if I was the seller.

Last edited:
keep it there problem not yours

Well honesty got he better of me and I emailed them and explained. Just had a reply back thanking me for the correspondence and my honesty, however they have checked their inventory and all is present, so they can only assume it was a mis-booked in inventory return. They told me to keep and and enjoy it, and that they hoped I would continue to use Panasonic in the future.

Result ! - Karma in-tact :D

I think it was irony on behalf of GreenNinja67 - "Lens.....wot lens guvnor ?" :)

Well well well.

I'm very happy for you and that you can enjoy your gear with a clear conscience :D

It was probably in the returns box to them and they have no account of it at all. Their stock come to them for many reasons, including returned items from customers. Items needing fixing, Display stock. and redundant stock, and stock recovered from bankrupt suppliers.
Mostly it is written down to fractional levels before they get it.

If you buy a cabinet in an auction house, anything that comes in it is yours... even if it contains a diamond ring.
This is not something you have found it is something you bought.

Their usual blurb says
“All of our refurbished products have undergone stringent assessments, tests and if necessary repairs. They are then thoroughly cleaned before being re-packaged and may possess signs of cosmetic wear or handling, which do not affect their performance. For total peace of mind, all of our refurbished products come with a one year manufacturer’s warranty. They also include equivalent accessories to those supplied with the original product, though may be missing minor additions such as remote batteries and may not come in their original packaging”

It seems what you get is something of a lottery.

Last edited:
Well honesty got he better of me and I emailed them and explained. Just had a reply back thanking me for the correspondence and my honesty, however they have checked their inventory and all is present, so they can only assume it was a mis-booked in inventory return. They told me to keep and and enjoy it, and that they hoped I would continue to use Panasonic in the future.

Result, and I commend your honesty (y)

Well done for being so honest, you did the right thing! And now you could sell it and have a nice holiday on the proceeds ;-)

Great result all 'round! And that's what I call customer service :)

I had a similar experience with a major UK retailer last year, I ordered a Lastolite magnetic background arm but got the whole kit, stand, carry bag the lot.
I phoned to let them know about the mistake and the guy that answered was absolutely gob smacked, apparently no one had owned up to something like that before ( a bit of an indictment of how society is in general today) he spoke to his boss who said keep it and thanks for being so honest.

Win Win for everyone. You for being so honest and getting a free lens. Panasonic for their actions and gaining a lot of great publicity for onltpy a small cost in financial terms.
Matt

Yippee. I've found that things usually work out this way when things like this happen. Honesty is the best policy! Enjoy your new lens.

Well done, and the right result for the right reason.

It's a bit disappointing that over 50% of the contributors to this thread recommended dishonesty. Still, I guess that's the way of the world these days, or at least the way of TP.

Well done, and the right result for the right reason.

It's a bit disappointing that over 50% of the contributors to this thread recommended dishonesty. Still, I guess that's the way of the world these days, or at least the way of TP.

Have to agree on all counts Stewart very disappointing

Back