Retro Goodness.

What next collectible 8 track players , or my first CB radio ...
I still have a quadraphonic Pioneer 8 Track player from out of a Rolls Royce Corniche (bought used, not stolen I hasten to add!). No idea if it still works, I'd need a wiring diagram to find out there are so many wires coming out of it!

I've recently acquired a second hand AKAI Hi Fi "stacking unit" complete with a fully functional single tape deck and a turntable, think it was made in 1987 and still works fine. I just like the "lo-fi" nature of such systems.
I've also been getting into purchasing the same Hornby OO gauge train sets I had when I was a kid. I foolishly sold the lot to fund a new push bike when I was 15 in 1982, but now it's all back in my life and they are surprisingly good runners for something that are over 40 years old.

Last edited:
Those were the days... I wonder if this one is still going? The Kodak slide of it is anyway! :)

Isn't that a "Ham Major"? I still have a Cobra 148, been doctored though as it has a frequency read out strapped to it as well. It's up in the loft, with a lot of other stuff since we "downsized"......

Isn't that a "Ham Major"? I still have a Cobra 148, been doctored though as it has a frequency read out strapped to it as well. It's up in the loft, with a lot of other stuff since we "downsized"......
I think (possibly wrongly) that Major were a subsidiary of Ham International; I remember the Ham Multimode III which was a nice bit of kit in its time.

Still have a CB but it's converted for 10m Amateur Radio....

An old friend, now departed was a radio ham back in the day, he spoke to the space shuttle one one occasion.

He introduced me to Kenwood gear, they made radio gear as well as Hi Fi. I bought a Kenwood midi hi fi in 1992, it was very high level, a UD70. I still have it, although I think the amp stopped working last year, either that or the graphic equaliser.

Last edited:
I can’t remember what I had c.b wise ,I know I had a massive mast on the back of the house and used to spend all my spare time chatting on it , good old fun days

Still have my Sinclair ZX81 and additional RAM and a tape player for playing games from 1981. Also have my Technics seperates system from 1987. Hasn't been used in around 25yrs and if I remember rightly the CD player gave up a few years before that. I did intend buying a multi disc CD player to replace it, but never did.

I also have my dad's old cine camera and projector somewhere. Both have to be at least 55yrs old, possibly more.

Last edited:
Incidentally, the other retro items I do have in my procession is an early 70's slide projector where the bulb still works, in fact recently I gave the lens a clean up and still throws good light. The other item is a Yamaha DX11 synthesizer which still get played often, albeit via racks of sound effect processors to "warm up" it's default sounds.

If we're going back in time..... I still have (and working) a couple of "Optonic" bite alarms from my early carp fishing days. They were bloody expensive in 1979 and a Birthday present from my Mum & Dad. You can buy similar items for about £20 now, back then they were £60 a piece, imagine that 40 years ago!!

If we're going back in time..... I still have (and working) a couple of "Optonic" bite alarms from my early carp fishing days. They were bloody expensive in 1979 and a Birthday present from my Mum & Dad. You can buy similar items for about £20 now, back then they were £60 a piece, imagine that 40 years ago!!
Oh yes that brings back memories
I’ve still got mine together with the rest of my gear

Incidentally, the other retro items I do have in my procession is an early 70's slide projector where the bulb still works, in fact recently I gave the lens a clean up and still throws good light. The other item is a Yamaha DX11 synthesizer which still get played often, albeit via racks of sound effect processors to "warm up" it's default sounds.
I still use my Dad's old Hanimex Auto slide projector from the mid 60s, it still works well and that's still on the original bulb too. The drive belt broke a couple of years ago but I couldn't find a replacement part listed for that particular model of projector. There was one listed that I though would probably fit but at £12 plus postage it was going to be money down the drain if it didn't.

In the end, I carefully measured the broken belt and managed to find a nitrile rubber 'O' ring pipe seal of the same diameter and thickness and it works perfectly. The cost? Just over £2 inc postage from eBay, so there's an idea for you if you need a drive belt for a projector. :)

Nooooo! :eek: Since the demise of the Green Shield Stamp catalogue this has been our only guide as to how we are supposed to live and what a family in the UK is expected to buy.

I believe that not seeing photographs of several smiling people gathered around a barbecue (or a ridiculously large paddling pool masquerading as a swimming pool) will lead us to lose our way. Soon we won't know how to behave or what to wear in our own, or a friend's, house or back garden!

Mark my words, this is a dark day for Britain.. and, now the catalogue has gone, we won't even know which torch to buy to light our path to salvation.

Well, unless we do a quick search on eBay or Amazon.

;)

Back