Retro Themed Photo Opps THIS WEEKEND

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
anyone near the Peak district might want to have a run over to this...

https://eroicabritannia.co.uk/

I'm pretty sure @badlywornroy posted up some shots from last year somewhere in the forum - not sure if it was on film or an electrical picture maker...

ETA: yep, Roy's thread was here

lots of people around in "period dress" - ie anything up to 1987, but mostly MUCH older school than that...

I was originally going to go for the ride on sunday, but couldn't get a completely rules-compliant bike together in time (i've been saying that for 3 years now, and still failed... it's PROBABLY because I'm rather picky what frame I want on the bike, and no 60cm SBDU Raleigh 531 team bike has come along at a price I can afford... I've got a bike that'll pass for the shorter rides - the 60miler looked do-able but it was a LOT of money for a days riding (about £90 on the day, including day pass to the festival and parking!) - couldn't get away for the 3-day festival, and I just couldn't quite face paying that to ride roads I can ride for free next week...)

so, this baby's probably not going to get her wheels on the gravel tomorrow... at least not with everyone else...

Raleigh, with a side order of Raleigh by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Last edited:
That takes me back

Had a Raleigh Olympus back in the early 80's, pale met blue with short ally guards
A Grifter ran in to the back of it causing itself no damage, but writing both me and the bike off.
Like juggernauts them Grifters were..:/

Had a Raleigh Olympus back in the early 80's

I remember those, late '70s ones were metalic blue, contrast bands under the silver raleigh logos, 10-20 (gaspipe) tubing - 5 speed gears and suicide brake levers on the handlebars...

they were re-issued in the early 80's in a solid blue paintjob, black contrast bands under the logo instead of white, and a double chainring for 10 - count 'em - 10 gears... Still had the suicide levers as well, and still wouldn't stop without the aid of an anchor tied to the seatpost.

short ally guards

remember those as well - neither use nor ornament - apart from keeping some of the crud off the actual brake calipers they didn't do squat.

I'm looking for something more like this...

raleigh-team-replica.jpg

though at a push i'd have another of these (even if I had to trust to scary 753 tube thicknesses)...

Panasonic Frame.jpg

or at a push one of these framesets...
HoldTbik.jpg

(and NO - I don't want one of the Planet-X re-pop ones, I want the original with the cinelli BB, the Wrap-over Seatstays and 531SL tubing, like my last one had...)

None of the words above make any sense....:D:thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - it was your thread that really got me committed (ish) to sourcing a rules compliant bike... problem is, the frame on the one above is from 1989 so 2 years too new :(

Thing is, that bike above was my last "training bike" from when I was half-serious racing... the last of the line, if you will - the time-trial bike kind of went under the wheels of the van that knocked me off the bike and ended my racing career, and, at that point I sold the full-on race bike... probably got less for it than I would have now, truth be told - I'm sure that a 753 Custom Bob Jackson built with record/super record would command a pretty fancy price these days :facepalm:

“ 1989 so 2 years too new”

I’m not sure how strictly the ‘1987’ rule is applied ? I think they would turn a blind eye to that lovely old Raleigh.

Sad little story really.

“ 1989 so 2 years too new”

I’m not sure how strictly the ‘1987’ rule is applied ? I think they would turn a blind eye to that lovely old Raleigh.

Sad little story really.
Absolutely. I've heard tell that there's no real strict bike checks and people have ridden l'eroica on bikes that are most definitely post '87 and not rules compliant. If you turned up on a steel framed bike of any vintage with non-aero brakes, downtube shifters and clips and straps pedals, no-one would bat an eyelid.

I remember those, late '70s ones were metalic blue, contrast bands under the silver raleigh logos, 10-20 (gaspipe) tubing - 5 speed gears and suicide brake levers on the handlebars...

they were re-issued in the early 80's in a solid blue paintjob, black contrast bands under the logo instead of white, and a double chainring for 10 - count 'em - 10 gears... Still had the suicide levers as well, and still wouldn't stop without the aid of an anchor tied to the seatpost.

remember those as well - neither use nor ornament - apart from keeping some of the crud off the actual brake calipers they didn't do squat.

I'm looking for something more like this...

raleigh-team-replica.jpg

though at a push i'd have another of these (even if I had to trust to scary 753 tube thicknesses)...

View attachment 128748

or at a push one of these framesets...
HoldTbik.jpg

(and NO - I don't want one of the Planet-X re-pop ones, I want the original with the cinelli BB, the Wrap-over Seatstays and 531SL tubing, like my last one had...)

Can't help you with a frame tbh.
Dunno what the run was with gears and colour schemes but my Olympus was 10 and metalic pale blue.
Lad across the road, my mate at the time proper p155ed on my party, he got a new bike the same day..probably Christmas, a Raleigh Record black and gold with a 6 cog cassette so 12 in total, center pull blocks and the skinniest tyres I'd ever seen......dammit.
He was well heeled mind, was running about in an X19 at 18 while I was driving my dads Datsun....:mad:

Sounds like fun - I think we may have a Cougar and a lugged ali Peugeot in the shed that would qualify.

I bent one of those just behind the head tube - hit a tree in mid-air while jumping with school friends in some woods in Upper Norwood.

Thing is, that bike above was my last "training bike" from when I was half-serious racing... the last of the line, if you will - the time-trial bike kind of went under the wheels of the van that knocked me off the bike and ended my racing career, and, at that point I sold the full-on race bike... probably got less for it than I would have now, truth be told - I'm sure that a 753 Custom Bob Jackson built with record/super record would command a pretty fancy price these days

This sounds horribly familiar, though slightly different. I ended up having a major off on a motorcycle aged 17, doing so much muscle & tendon damage I couldn't run for a year afterwards and that ended my racing career. A few years later sold my custom Reg Barnett (only 531DB but similarly equipped) for next to nothing.

1163_008-6.jpg 1170_003-3.jpg

A couple of shots from Eroica...
A great event but expensive, as I remember. My son had a stand selling vintage gear at one time. No profit to be made there for the stall holders.
I very much regret missing a shot of the ladies at a vintage frock stand all wearing fabulous outfits and stick on moustaches.
My dog hated the whole thing, he can't be doing with cycles of any type!

Back