Returning after long lay off

Name
gerry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi due to ill health I have not done any photography for about four years .
I am looking for advice on AA batteries first I used to use Eneloop's for the flash are they the still the ones to go for ?
I have a Canon 5d mkiii ,Canon60D ,EOS M and a nd a converted Lumix for infra red .
I feel like a newbie again any advice on any videos to watch and get me back up to speed?
Regards Gerry

Last edited:
They are still a good choice, though I have bought Amazon Basics recently, about £1 each in packs of 24, and so far they are very good.
A good automatic charger is essential for their long life, no matter what make of battery you buy. You don't want the ones that just stay at max charge until you turn them off!

You have some good cameras, the 650 was the only Canon I kept when I changed to M43 a few years ago, and I have recently bought a 5Diii and like it.
Strangely I convert Panasonic Lumix G3s to IR :) They are ideal for it in my mind,

As for videos, there are thousands, look for the ones about your specific cameras, will help to remind you of features, and look for videos on the type of photography that interests you, you will probably see something else of interest along the way :)

IKEA do some that are believed to be Eneloop's in all but name - I've used them and they are great:

I do not miss the days of AA. I mainly use Godox flashes now and their batteries last for ages. It appears Sony Nikon and Sony are not putting much effort into keeping up with Godox. Glad you health has improved

I still use the Eneloop AA cells that have survived many many recharges over the past 4 years, but then I started buying Tenergy, as they are reported to have considerably higher storage capacity. Whenever any cell starts requiring way more charging time than the rest of the same brand being recharged, I remove them from service and discard them.

In use, the Tenergy do seem to last longer, and are surviving longer before discarding. My only test for storage capacity was when using one speedlite with fully charged Eneloop set and one with fully charged Tenergy set at the same time. This has been my only actual test for the greater storage capacity of the Tenergy, and the Tenergy equipped speedlite did last longer before needing freshly charged batteries. I have always used battery extenders when using my speedlites, so replacing exhausted cells in my speedlites also involves replacing the additional 8 cells in the battery extender. Battery extenders not only extend the operating time of a speedlite, but also cut the time to refresh the speedlite for the next shot to about 1/3 of what is required without the battery extender. The extenders that I have are made by JJC and come with a fabric case over the plastic body. A 1/4-20 attachment bolt lets you stack this extender under your camera and on top of your tripod, but the extender cord to the speedlite is a coiled cord, so I usually use a Magic Clamp to attach the extender to the light stand somewhere below the speedlite.

My AA cell requirements are becoming much less because I'm doing less field work and more in my studio with studio strobes now. My last 4 speedlites will likely get replaced with four Godox AD200kits this year, and I'll be giving my adult grand daughter two of the Godox speedlites, battery extenders, and most of the remaining 100 or more AA cells that I have. I gave her a Canon T7 camera, speedlight and extender, a Godox X PROc transmitter, light stand, and a set of 3 umbrellas about a year ago, after teaching her some one light basics. So it now seems about the right time to give her the ability to work with multiple lights. She is learning fast, so this should be a good next step up for her.

Charley

Last edited:
I do not miss the days of AA. I mainly use Godox flashes now and their batteries last for ages. It appears Sony Nikon and Sony are not putting much effort into keeping up with Godox. Glad you health has improved
There are no new Nikon speedlights in their latest roadmap. The consensus of opinion appears to be that they will either make it easy for third party manufacturers to create flashes that make use of the Nikon Creative Lighting System or go for a re-badging deal.

There are no new Nikon speedlights in their latest roadmap. The consensus of opinion appears to be that they will either make it easy for third party manufacturers to create flashes that make use of the Nikon Creative Lighting System or go for a re-badging deal.
They’ll carry on doing what they’ve done since they dropped the ball*. Releasing a few overpriced flashes for their ridiculously over complex wireless system, because there’s a small market of people who would rather buy OEM equipment.

I wouldn’t be surprised if their next flash copied the even more ridiculous Canon EL-1 model. (Now there’s a solution in search of a problem)

*no other camera manufacturer has failed here as significantly as Nikon. Their response to several manufacturers being able to reverse engineer their CLS system and add radio was to completely ignore them and try to design their own from the ground up by adding an extra dongle to the camera :oops: :$ . How on earth the designer wasn’t sacked for suggesting such a thing is beyond belief.

I’ve been using the Amazon Basics rechargeable batteries without issues now for two years.

I feel like a newbie again any advice on any videos to watch and get me back up to speed?
Regards Gerry
Just get out and use it, you’ll find the muscle memory will kick in, just like riding a bike.

Thanks all for the replies just want some nice weather to get out and about again .
Regards Gerry

They are still a good choice, though I have bought Amazon Basics recently, about £1 each in packs of 24, and so far they are very good.
A good automatic charger is essential for their long life, no matter what make of battery you buy. You don't want the ones that just stay at max charge until you turn them off!

You have some good cameras, the 650 was the only Canon I kept when I changed to M43 a few years ago, and I have recently bought a 5Diii and like it.
Strangely I convert Panasonic Lumix G3s to IR :) They are ideal for it in my mind,

As for videos, there are thousands, look for the ones about your specific cameras, will help to remind you of features, and look for videos on the type of photography that interests you, you will probably see something else of interest along the way :)
Same here, I have both and there is no obvious difference in the two in use.

Hi due to ill health I have not done any photography for about four years .
I am looking for advice on AA batteries first I used to use Eneloop's for the flash are they the still the ones to go for ?
I have a Canon 5d mkiii ,Canon60D ,EOS M and a nd a converted Lumix for infra red .
Regards Gerry
Bit late to the party but I've been using Eneloops for a while and can't fault them.

Glad your health is better!

Ah, that looks promising but the A10 flash is rather expensive at over £900 :eek:

I think I'll be sticking with my two SB600 speedlights (y)

Back