returning canon lens to shop

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
as above , i am not happy with a canon lens i have , it is just over 4 months old , can i demand a replacement ? , or will it go back to canon ? , does the sale of goods act help me in any way or not ? :)

if its not fit for the purpose then i think you have rights. (ie its stopped focussing, or soft throughout the zoom)

it is way too soft at 300 mm , i can crop a far better picture at 200 mm than uncropped at 300 mm , so , its rather pointless extending to 300 mm really !! :(

well if you bought it to use the 300mm and there is no way to get a sharp shot throughout the aperture then i would get my money back. You could argue that its not fit for the purpose as its intended.

I would not be surprised if they would want to send it back to Canon. After all, it is four months old, so effectively a used lens.

But if you talk nicely, you may get a replacement if that's what you want.

Good luck.
Graham

You have up to 6mth where you do not have to prove a fault after this time you have to prove it has a fault. BUT most shops will try to forget this fact as say shop policies are so and so after all you only talking to a sales person.
Where did you get it?
And what lens is it?

One last point your sale contract is with the seller and not Canon so don’t get push off with you have to contact Canon this is not true.

You have up to 6mth where you do not have to prove a fault after this time you have to prove it has a fault. BUT most shops will try to forget this fact as say shop policies are so and so after all you only talking to a sales person.
Where did you get it?
And what lens is it?

One last point your sale contract is with the seller and not Canon so don’t get push off with you have to contact Canon this is not true.

it is the 70-300 is usm , bought it rgb labs in middlesbrough

is there ANY 70-300 sharp at 300mm ? I think you need to determine sharp?:)

:agree:...........Have you got some sample shots to show?

Are you expecting prime sharpness from a lesser lens?

maybe my standards are too high , it just does not seem good enough to me ! , it is better if stopped down a bit , the problem then is , you have to drop the shutter speed which lessens the chance of a clean shot because of movement , or up the iso and end up with a whole load of grain , anything apart from brilliant sunshine and i stand no chance :(

my guess is thats just the way it is.. after 4 mths of use i would say it cant be that bad or you would have sent it back the first week.. sounds like a normal 400-500 quid lens... for sharp at 300 you need to be paying thousands on a prime.

Paul, most lenses perform better stopped down. I don`t know the lens you refer to,I`m a Nikon user,but perhaps you are expecting too much from the lens........:shrug:

my guess is thats just the way it is.. after 4 mths of use i would say it cant be that bad or you would have sent it back the first week.. sounds like a normal 400-500 quid lens... for sharp at 300 you need to be paying thousands on a prime.

i guess you are right , i have just tried stopping it down to f10 in bright sunlight and it appears a lot sharper , i think i need to move to a sunnier country :D

I have the same lens and it's great for general stuff but I wouldn never say it's amazingly sharp at 300mm....if I wanted that I'd get L glass for twice the price.

post some shots and we can compare if that helps
are you using a filter on it?

only had the dslr for 6 months , much too learn i reckon :bonk:

You've probably hit the nail fair and square on the head there.:bonk:

I started digital photography in order to capture some of the things I see whilst in the countryside. I jumped right in with a starter level DSLR and kit 18-fifty something and something to 300 kit lens. I knew nowt about cropping, sharpness, nowt at all about photography and even less about L lenses.

On the one hand the old thing about all the gear and no idea is just as valid in photography, so it's true that you won't win today's British Grand Prix in a Honda Civic Type R.

You've probably hit the nail fair and square on the head there.:bonk:

I started digital photography in order to capture some of the things I see whilst in the countryside. I jumped right in with a starter level DSLR and kit 18-fifty something and something to 300 kit lens. I knew nowt about cropping, sharpness, nowt at all about photography and even less about L lenses.

On the one hand the old thing about all the gear and no idea is just as valid in photography, so it's true that you won't win today's British Grand Prix in a Honda Civic Type R.

sounds like me to tee :D , i have been playing today , stopping the lens down helps a lot , even at 300 mm , guess i just need wall to wall sun , looks like a move to spain is required :LOL:

Back