Returning to photography

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
No
Hi. I'm back! I'm making a return to photography after a 5 year or so break. I'm looking at buying a Canon 80D with a Canon 24-105mm F4 (Not the mkII). Is this a reasonable combo? and does the non-mkII version allow all of the functionality of the 80D regarding stills and video?

It will work perfectly I would think (it does on my 7Dii), but lots of people will tell you that it isn't wide enough on a crop camera. Personally I find it is, but I don't tend to go very wide. If you do like going wide then that difficulty might be worth bearing in mind.

It will work perfectly I would think (it does on my 7Dii), but lots of people will tell you that it isn't wide enough on a crop camera. Personally I find it is, but I don't tend to go very wide. If you do like going wide then that difficulty might be worth bearing in mind.
That's a very fair point. I hadn't considered the difference in focal range.

it depends what you shoot
It's not for any specific type of photography. It will be an all rounder lens. Any specific types of photography I know I would be buying lens specifically for.

Imho I would be looking at a 15-85 or a 17-70 To use as an all rounder

Imho I would be looking at a 15-85 or a 17-70 To use as an all rounder
Yeah maybe. So I'd be looking at a 35mm equivilant focal range of 24-136mm or 27-112mm. Hmmmmmmm.

I'm in the "it makes little sense on APS-C" camp for two reasons, starting at 24mm and f4 plus it's big and heavy and you're carrying extra glass the APS-C camera can't use.

Back