Reveni Automated Dip and Dunk Processor

• Thread starter Deleted member 95430
  • Start date
Agreed it's on the high end price wise, but for me the deal breaker is the inability (stated in the FAQ) to process 5x4 film. Given that I don't use 35mm film any more and only use 120 colour once in a blue moon (last time was years not months ago) I don't need the temperature control. I wish them well, but it's not for me in this form.

Last edited:
That's a lot of money especially given its not a purchase it's a backing and you will no longer have the money but you might not have the product. Its one thing sinking £200 on a promise, £1000 is bigger commitment.

Besides the lack of sheet film processing, I’m not a great fan of automated gadgets…..i prefer to have physical control over what is happening.

I even prefer to use the fixed base to my orbital dev tank and agitate by hand rather than let the motorised base take control. .

On top of that, the price of this set up is too elevated imo.

I think I'll be sticking to my Paterson tanks and using the sink as a water-bath with manual agitation. To me this is all part of the appeal and I don't think I would find an automated process so satisfying, andI guess there is still the drudgery of cleaning it all afterwards.

£1,000 is a fair chunk to spend even before taking into account that it's a backing and not a purchase as Steven has already mentioned.

I was going to say that £1,000 would buy a lot of film … but these days I'm not so sure!

About 150 sheets of FP4 in 10x8 at Silverprint...

Last edited:
Hi all, Matt from Reveni Labs here.

I wanted to let you know, the Dunkbot can now handle 4x5 using a Jobo reel, MOD54 or similar (anything that fits in a Paterson 3 reel tank, no centre tube is needed actually) anything under 150mm tall and 95mm diameter will work. Could probably stuff two sheets right in the tank with no reel.

Can also now handle 3x 35mm and 2x 120 reels, needing about 1.3L of chemistry to cover the 120s.

2nd thing, at $950 CAD and $120 DHL Express shipping, after 20% VAT on arrival it'd be around 777GBP.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Can't see that target being achieved . £ :eek: Currently at 7% , Good luck with the project.

Last edited:
Thanks for reaching out to the community Matt and bringing film photography into the 21st century!

Was there a large request for 4x5 and hence the change?! Good luck with the project and keep innovating!

Hi all, Matt from Reveni Labs here.

I wanted to let you know, the Dunkbot can now handle 4x5 using a Jobo reel, MOD54 or similar (anything that fits in a Paterson 3 reel tank, no centre tube is needed actually) anything under 150mm tall and 95mm diameter will work. Could probably stuff two sheets right in the tank with no reel.

Can also now handle 3x 35mm and 2x 120 reels, needing about 1.3L of chemistry to cover the 120s.

2nd thing, at $950 CAD and $120 DHL Express shipping, after 20% VAT on arrival it'd be around 777GBP.

Happy to answer any other questions.
Mod 54 inserts ….OMG, but no thanks. Sold em and glad they’re gone tbh.

Reverting back to tacos like I used when first starting out with LF would be more preferable.

As it is 54 still leaves the system limited for my personal use as it leaves the need of an alternative system for larger formats.

Either way I’m afraid the price is somewhat prohibitive too.
Nonetheless I wish you the best of luck with the project

Thanks for the new information Matt. The ability to use a Paterson 3 reel tank also opens up the possibility of half plate/5x7/13x18 film as well, as reels are available for a Paterson 3 reel tank for all those sizes. The extra information on the price is helpful, although I assume that as well as VAT there would be a 5% import duty? I also assume that using Paterson tanks would mean that fill/empty becomes a manual process, making the temperature control the only automatic feature?

Paterson tanks would mean that fill/empty becomes a manual process,
My understanding is the steel tanks (have changed a bit) that come with the machine will fit the new reel types and so will remain fully automatic

That makes it a more interesting proposition. Being able to set it running and walk away would be useful. At the moment, I'm tied to the kitchen sink to mix chemicals and bring to the correct temperature. If I can set it up with the chemicals and let it get to temperature and then process, I can have it on my (no water supply) darkroom bench and leave it.

Well worth thinking about as I can process 4 sheets of 5x7 etc in one load.

Having read the Kickstarter info again, now knowing that it would handle all the film sizes I use apart from 10x8, it becomes a serious possibility. The programmable agitation is a good feature. I may well end up backing it. I am warming to the idea of automatic warming of the chemicals.

Also considering as I am a very lazy developer and now I can use a mod 54 will get consistent results every single time

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the idea is great, but it would never save me enough time to justify the spending.

Makes me think about a simpler system using a PIC or Arduino.

My chemicals are automatically heated, they sit in a bowl of water with a fish tank heater :D

The initial specs (2x 35mm / 1x120) made me pass on it, but the new info makes it significantly more attractive. For colour sheet film processing alone I'd probably break even after around 80 sheets, let alone all the 35 and 120 I shoot on top of that.

Thanks for the new information Matt. The ability to use a Paterson 3 reel tank also opens up the possibility of half plate/5x7/13x18 film as well, as reels are available for a Paterson 3 reel tank for all those sizes. The extra information on the price is helpful, although I assume that as well as VAT there would be a 5% import duty? I also assume that using Paterson tanks would mean that fill/empty becomes a manual process, making the temperature control the only automatic feature?
Hi Stephen as I think you realized, it's anything that fits in a Paterson, not the Paterson itself.

Not sure of the 5%, is that a item-specific tariff? I thought it was only VAT on incoming items.

Thanks for reaching out to the community Matt and bringing film photography into the 21st century!

Was there a large request for 4x5 and hence the change?! Good luck with the project and keep innovating!
Yes there was a lot of messages about 4x5. The hurtle to get 4x5 was to commit to a custom pot ($3-4000 USD tooling fee). Once I bit that bullet, the change to the design was trivial.

Hi Stephen as I think you realized, it's anything that fits in a Paterson, not the Paterson itself.

Not sure of the 5%, is that a item-specific tariff? I thought it was only VAT on incoming items.

I've had a 5% duty to pay on at least some items from outside the UK, although I've not bought from Canada as far as I can recall. UK customs are rather strange (nothing to do with tea curing all ills :) which a Canadian living in the UK cited as strange). Some years ago I discovered that some, but not all, books carried 5% duty if brought in from the Channel Islands. Since then, I've assumed that if it moves (across borders) it might not be saluted but it will be taxed.

I've had a 5% duty to pay on at least some items from outside the UK, although I've not bought from Canada as far as I can recall. UK customs are rather strange (nothing to do with tea curing all ills :) which a Canadian living in the UK cited as strange). Some years ago I discovered that some, but not all, books carried 5% duty if brought in from the Channel Islands. Since then, I've assumed that if it moves (across borders) it might not be saluted but it will be taxed.
Often there is a web of protectionist tariffs on products, to protect domestic businesses. Brexit-y type things.

I'm not sure what this machine would be classified as at the moment (I haven't looked into the HS codes to try to find something) but I suppose there could be an associated tariff on "film developing equipment" or the like. Sometimes you have to send stuff and wait and see what happens, to find out.

You could probably get away with calling it kitchen equipment - after all it cooks film...:exit::D

Yes there was a lot of messages about 4x5. The hurtle to get 4x5 was to commit to a custom pot ($3-4000 USD tooling fee). Once I bit that bullet, the change to the design was trivial.
Wow, what a chunk of change

As I am so lazy, will it be able to automatically adjust dev times for colour processing so I could do all my slides in one go with the same chemicals

Having read the Kickstarter info again, now knowing that it would handle all the film sizes I use apart from 10x8, it becomes a serious possibility. The programmable agitation is a good feature. I may well end up backing it. I am warming to the idea of automatic warming of the chemicals.

Having thought about it, I became sufficiently heated to back it :)

Now we wait to see if it reaches its goal.

Back