Reverse Lens on Lens

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Lumix G2 with the kit lens 14-42mm

I have an old cannon efs 18-55mm lens, so I ordered a ring to that it could be reversed mounted onto the G2 kit lens.

Only problem is I am getting huge vignette.

What am I doing wrong?

don't quote me on this - I'm just waiting for some reversing / coupling rings to try this for myself (with an old manual 50mm prime)......

from my reading / research......

likely that the wide angle of the 14-42 is seeing the inside of the reversed 18-55, giving you the vignette. Try zooming the 14-42 out to its longest length.

reversing an 18mm willl give you massive magnification, try closer to the 55mm end to start with.

as said - I've not put any of this into practise - just what I've read so far!

Cheers for the messages.

Reading the tutorial posted and overbez post. I think I know why its happening.

I think the the zoom on the 14-42 is not long enough to overcome the vignette caused by the reversed 18-55mm.

As mentioned in the tutorial they are using a 70-300mm, so guess my 14-42mm is no where near long enough.

sounds reasonable - I'm planning on either reverse mounting the 50mm f/1.9 prime directly to the D5100 body, or onto the end of my 55-300mm. (2 different rings on their way).

fast primes are recommended (for the reverse lens) for their sharpness and large aperture allowing less loss of light (and presumably also less susceptibility to vignetting).

Can still achieve plenty of detail when the 14-42mm lens is reversed. So need to order a reverse mount for it.

Are there reverse mount protectors around to give the lens some protection?

If by reverse mount you mean one lens reversed on the end of another fitted normally to the camera, a pair of cheap Cokin style filter holder rings (on Amazon they almost pay you to take these from them), superglued back to back, makes a perfect reversing ring. Given the huge flat surfaces you're glueing to each other, the bond is incredibly strong.

Not sure what you mean by reverse mount protectors though: surely your normal rear lens cap does the job?

not seen any such thing on my web-wanderings..... a few suggestions involving removing the centre section of a lens back cap and a glueing in a cheap UV filter.

That's one of the reasons I went for a cheap old lens, rather than reversing my 18-55 or my 35mm f/1.8.

Not sure what you mean by reverse mount protectors though: surely your normal rear lens cap does the job?

I'm assuming we're talking about when in use - when having the rear lens cap on could restrict the light getting in a tad too much... :LOL:

Last edited:
Well my first of two rings arrived today - the 49mm to 58mm coupler.

I'm getting very heavy vignetting at 55mm, still heavy at 100mm, and light vignetting up to about 200mm.

55mm
dsc4678001.jpg

210mm
dsc4684001.jpg

Hope this helps, still waiting for my reverse mount ring to fit the 50mm prime direct to camera.

Back