reverse lens technique - damaged Iris macro

Name
Louise Knight
Edit My Images
No
I know eyes and the iris are SO over done in the world of photography.. but once I figured out what the iris was actually made of and how it worked.. I officially became obsessed with the things!

This is my boyfriends eye, he managed to get a bit of metal stuck in his eye around 2 years ago whilst at work, and this is how it's healed. Makes for a pretty good subject huh?!

2938979064_0f6ddb8487.jpg

Shot on my canon 30D with a 50mm FD lens reversed - I cannot afford a nice macro lens right now!

xSitara™;1343280 said:
Damn he's ok though right? No damaged eye sight?

That's an awesome shot

Nope no damaged eye sight.. though, I don't think I've ever asked him - there just asked him, answer=no, no damaged sight!!

Absolutely awesome. How did you mount the lens?

It's an old FD lens from the old Canon A series, the 50mm with a UV or skylight filter stuck on the end of it seems to fit perfectly into the body's mount of my 30D and 450D and is nice and sturdy to use handheld with fill-in flash.

I know you can buy reverse mount rings off ebay, but I don't see a need unless I'm using a zoom lens that's tricky to hold still!

You do need to get pretty close to your subject.. the longer the focal length you're using, the closer you generally have to get I think, and the more room you have for mistakes, but the 50 is nice, you can stay a couple of inches from your subject, and an eye or something of similar size will fit the frame nicely :D

EXIF for this exact shot incase anyone's interested..?!:

Camera Model Canon EOS 30D
Shooting Date/Time 12/10/2008 01:13:38
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/100
Av( Aperture Value ) 0.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 400
Image Size 3504x2336
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Type Built-In Flash
Flash Exposure Compensation 0
AF Mode Manual focusing
Picture Style Standard
Color Space sRGB
Noise Reduction Off
Drive Mode Low-speed continuous shooting

I just saw your flickr, awesome photos. You have some serious talent girl. Keep it up :D

Back