Review - L Bracket for Olympus OMD-EM1

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
HI all, hopefully this will be of interest to some. I was recently looking for an L-Bracket for my OMD-EM1. I tried the usual sources, Kirk and Really Right Stuff, and whilst they both do one, (and it's probably superb quality), I just couldn't justify the prices (well over £100), so I started to look around and found what looked like a good substitute on eBay from a Chinese seller - lotsgoods88 for only £10.45 delivered (so at that price I thought it would be worth a punt). Link here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131343942938?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Well the unit arrived yesterday (took about 3 weeks from ordering - no customs charges due to the value), and I have to say it's absolutely superb. It fits the EM1 like a glove and is perfectly contoured to the mm to fit around the base plate shape. There are no sharp edges and the whole machining is first class. I've tried it in all 3 of my tripod heads and it clamps like a rock in all 3 in both horizontal and vertical positions, with no camera movement at all.

Nice touches are the battery compartment is still perfectly accessible with the plate on, as are the side doors for the AV connections / remote, although to be fair it might be a bit of a squeeze using it with a wired remote in the vertical position, but the design looks very similar to the other two mentioned above. It fixes via a hex screw and there's a nice allen key provided in the kit. the vertical side is also detachable via a single allen key, making the unit just an Arca Swiss mounting plate for the camera.

thought this might be of interest to others. I just hope they also develop one for the OMD EM5 II.

Anyway, a few photos

Bought the same one and very impressed with it, well worth the price and I actually bought another for my second E-M1. I know they have just copied others but the saving is too good to pass up especially when it feels identical in the hand (I've tried the RRS grip).

Thanks Andrew, I've had one in my ebay watch list for a couple of weeks so I think I'll pull the trigger.

Maybe someone could point me at an L bracket that fits my OMD-EM1 Mark 1 .... I am not sure what the one referred to here is (camera version) nor does that link work now.

The L-Bracket OM-D E-M1 is compatible Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II?

Back