Review REVIEW - Lencarta 3 Head Kit with Background

Edit My Images
No
Hello

Recently I purchased a 3 head Smartflash studio kit + background system from Lencarta for £554.85.

This is a review from an amature point of view...

The kit included:

* 3 x SmartFlash 200 (200Ws) Flash Heads
* 3 x Studio Light Stands
* 1 x Reflector
* 2 x 85cm x 85cm Softbox
* 1 x 100cm white Reflective umbrella
* 1 x 5-in-1 reflector kit
* 1 x 4 channel Radio trigger/receiver
* 1 x 3-head carry case
* 1 x 3 x 3 metre background support system with carry bag
* 1 x 3 x 6 metre white muslin background

I ordered around 12:30pm on the Thursday and the kit arrived about mid-day on the Friday so very impressed there :).
Everything came in individual boxes, which were them packed in a larger box for delivery.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the boxes was no paperwork or instructions of any kind!. Being an engineer, I am quite good at building things so I managed to put everything together fairly easily....until I came to the softboxes, which I couldn't for the life of me, work out how to build!.

Unfortunately I was still waiting for my internet to be enabled at home so I had to visit the Library on a Saturday to email

Garry. He was very prompt with his reply and I found the guides on the Lencarta website. Whilst guides on the internet are good, I didnt have the internet at home yet so I really can't understand why they dont print the instructions and put them in the boxes.....

Anyway, softboxes built and everything else setup, I started to take some test shots. The radio triggers were missing from the package but a quick email to Garry and he posted some to arrive on the Monday.

Flash Heads -

They are made of plastic but feel fairly well built and the fan cooling ensures they will not overheat. The fan is almost silent and the controls are very easy to work out, even without instructions.

Each flash head triggers off the main one (the one with the wireless radio trigger) so no need for wires in between each one.

I am very new to studio photography but the heads seem to produce consistent and bright lighting. I had to set my ISO to 400 to aviod having to have the flash heads set on full power.

Stands -

I got 5 stands, two for the background support system and 3 for the flash heads. They feel very solidly built but not too heavy so could be transported easily.

Background Support System -

This comprises of two stands, 4 poles which easily clip together and a muslin background sheet. Everything fit together easily and again feels very strudy. Its much bigger than I expected!!

Whilst the muslin sheet seems very durable, its hard to get the creases out of, even after washing and Ironing so I think I wil invest in a vinyl sheet.

Radio Triggers -

Needs two batteries....works perfectly, what more is there to say!

Softboxes -

Again, they seem very well built, once I did manage to put them together. They clip to the flash head very easily and are much larger than I expected. I am only using one as I have two flash heads pointing at the background sheet so I ended up with a spare softbox incase I damage the main one or even get another flash head in the future!

Conclusion

Overall I am very happy with the studio kit, its very well built and feels very professional for half the price of a more expensive kit!. I do think that instructions should be printed or at least on a CD to save paper, not everybody has the internet at home. The customer service from Garry was brilliant, replies were personal and best of all Prompt!.

I havent tried or seen other brand kits so I couldnt comment on them but I am very happy with my purchase!

I have a few test shots with the kit on another thread (search)

I wrote this quickly so may edit it at a later date....

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick review, seems pretty good kit... please revisit the thread with any updates, plus or minus points found. I am considering a studio kit, the Lencarta being a possible contender.

An excellent little review, The bodies of the heads felt very solid to me when I looked at this kit at Focus on Imaging, Far superior in build quality to the usual beginer's brand found in a high street chain

I am sure they will serve you well..

Last edited:
Nice review. I've been considering going for the exact same kit recently though not quite sure I've got the space to use everything!

Any chance of a couple of shots of how you've got everything set up and how make space it takes?

Anyone considering the Lencarta kit should possibly look at the collapsible soft boxes. You can just remove the normal ones and add the collapsible one paying the difference but the collapsible ones are SOOOO much easier to store, transport and then put together. Not a lot of difference in price either so worth doing.

Added to directory.

Thank you for your review (y)

Anyone considering the Lencarta kit should possibly look at the collapsible soft boxes. You can just remove the normal ones and add the collapsible one paying the difference but the collapsible ones are SOOOO much easier to store, transport and then put together. Not a lot of difference in price either so worth doing.

Cowasaki....Did you swap for foldable ones? I didnt realise the standard ones didnt fold :bonk: Should have got the foldable ones, but looking at the lencarta site, it shows the rectangular one...:thinking:

Cowasaki....Did you swap for foldable ones? I didnt realise the standard ones didnt fold :bonk: Should have got the foldable ones, but looking at the lencarta site, it shows the rectangular one...:thinking:

Only one of my three are foldable. I am selling my stripbox (which is new and unused) to change it to the folding one. If I had a big studio I wouldn't bother but having a small studio means the folding ones are better for storage and also with having the Safari kit they are better for transportation too.

Thanks for the info!

I think i'll send mine back and swap mine out for foldable ones....

Have you got the rectangular folding one?

Thanks for the info!

I think i'll send mine back and swap mine out for foldable ones....

Have you got the rectangular folding one?

I opened the bags and assembled mine so I can't return them. The strip box is superb though and it is a shame I have not got the space!

Back