Review Review: Manfrotto 190XPROB

Edit My Images
Yes
as promised I thought I'd give a little review of my new tripod.

The tripod is very, very sturdy - its nearly all aluminum - it just glows with quality and strength. The quality of this tripod is only exceeded by its flexibility. It drops down to the floor at the drop of the hat, and extends to a respectable height in just as quick a time. Each leg is capable of locking at different angles making the tripod even more versatile and capable of being used in the most awkward of spaces.

And finally the tripods piece de resistance is its centre section; capable of being placed in a horizontal position without having to even remove your camera. A simple button at the base of the centre column provides the magic that makes the centre column extend to its maximum and then swivel into it's horizontal position. Perfect for those flower macro's etc.

The negatives of this tripod are small but however still there. The leg locks are very stiff and difficult to open, I'm sure they're going to cause me immense problems in cold conditions when my hands stop working properly. I realise they will loosen with time but this may not be quick enough for my upcoming photography holiday. There was no need for them to be that stiff especially for the cost. Which brings me on to my other niggle. In my opinion £120rrp for this tripod is a bit on the rich side for what you get.

All in all I'm very pleased with the tripod and I'm sure it will be a worthy addition to my kit for many years to come.

Good review... can we have a peep at the beastie?

Thanks for that Michael (y)

Interestingly, the manfrotto blurb for the new xprob says the leg locks had been redesigned to make them easier to use :eek:

pics would be great if you could manage it, we would be happy to host the images for reviews :)

Oh, good timing on the review.

I need to get a tripod and have been looking at the 190XPRO today. Probably with the 460MG head.

This may have convinced me. Nice review.

I'll take some photos tomorrow showing how flexible she really is

(as flexible as a russian gymnast)

Thanks for that review Michael.

I'm not sure of the 190XPROB, but I have the 190CL (Ok, its in a different league, bit still the same ;)) And the leg locks on mine are adjustable with the little key provided.

Thanks for the Review Michael. I was still deciding to get this or the 055, but took a stroll down to Jessops and played with them ;) Anyway i found the button to release the leg to the angle you want a bit weedy and playing with it the buttons fell out and i had to force it back in :eek:

Still in two minds between the 190 and 055, if the 055 had the same centre column flexibility my mind would of been made up straight away.

The 055 Pro does indeed have the central column that can be placed horizontally. I use the 055 and it's a joy to use.

Back