Review of the Sunwayfoto GH-Pro geared head.

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I've spent about two months with this head now and I wrote a review/comparison as promised.

For those that are unaware, the GH-Pro is a smaller version of the Arca Swiss D4 (geared) head. It has a lower max load rating (26lb/12kg), but it costs about 1/3 the price. And the load rating is well above the Manfrotto offerings. TBF, I do think the D4 is better in the smaller details... like the GH-Pro's knobs/levers are plastic. And the D4 is much better specced... overkill really. But the main thing is I just can't personally justify the price (~$1200 vs ~$400).

GH-Pro.jpg

The short of it is, overall I think it is very well made and functioning. It is much better than either of the Manfrotto heads in every aspect. But it has one potentially major negative... the yaw axis is not geared. Instead you get panning capability both top and bottom... which is great for landscape/architecture/etc. But if you boom the camera at an angle the "panning" yaw axis might actually be pitch or roll (or more likely part of both)... I do this a lot with product/macro photography.
I've read comments that the load rating was very overstated. To test that I mounted my D5 w/ 400/2.8 on it. That's the biggest/heaviest setup I have at ~ 3ft and 15lbs... a pretty stupid test really, but it held w/o slipping even beyond 60*, and it functioned w/o issue (but not particularly smoothly). Initially the geared adjustments were quite stiff, but they seem to be "working in" over time. This seems to be a common characteristic of geared heads... I think it's probably the grease packing.

So this leaves me kind of stuck as to my opinion or what recommendation to make. Overall the Manfrotto's are just "rougher." They're made of cast parts and comparatively roughly fit/finished. The GH-Pro (and more-so the D4) is much more refined with CNC precision and hard anodized finishes.

If you just want a pretty decent geared head for use with lighter equipment, and cost is a major factor, then I think the 410Jr is probably the best choice. I used one for years w/o issues.

If you do work where "straight and level" is a primary concern and you use heavier equipment, then the GH-Pro might be the best choice. Especially for panoramas. The price is right in the middle but it has better capabilities and finer control, plus it's the lightest. When purchasing you may or may not get hit with import taxes (2.5% US)... I didn't.

If you do work where "straight and level" is not a primary concern and the third geared axis is important (i.e. product/macro), then the GH-Pro/D4 is a no-go... it has to be one of the Manfrottos. If it's for heavier equipment, you would prefer the larger knobs, or finer adjustments are important, then it has to be the 405Pro.

For me, I'm kind of in the middle. I want the GH-Pro for architectural/landscape field use due to it's weight and functionality, but the 405Pro for the studio when I just really need/prefer that geared third axis. If I had to choose only one it would be the 405Pro and I would just have to deal with it's weight and quirks.

I decided not to do a video on it's functions... just look for a D4 review. Full Review with specs and comparisons to the D4/405/410.

Always found Sunwayfoto items to be great value :)

I like the sunwayfoto stuff too but given the market area they normally operate in, I think I was expecting this to be a cut price alternative to the 410 (that was £120 last time I looked at getting a new one, though that might have been week of black Friday). I'd have definitely been interested in that. This looks really nice but only two axis control would really put me off even if it was cheaper than the manfrotto 410, and definitely not at £300 plus.

As it stands, I've just bought a used 410 and am about to start hacking the top up to graft on an arca clamp. Wish me luck!

And neither will destroy the value like hacking the QR assembly will...

To be honest the Hejnar conversion would cost more than I paid for the entire 410 so no longer worried about resale value. I'd thought about just attaching to the existing manfrotto plate but don't like the idea of having two clamped interfaces as oppose to just one. It also brings the mount quite a bit lower if the manfrotto plate is removed from the equation so less moment load. Not pretty but it will suit me better. Anyway, I've gone way off topic. As you were!

The new Benro GD3WH has sparked welcome interest in geared heads - see this thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/benro-gd3wh-geared-head-longish-term-review.681385/ It's a great addition to this sector of the market where there's very little choice. Benro has hit the sweet spot with a very capable product, especially considering the low weight and price (y) but there are other options and I've just got a Sunwayfoto GH-Pro. They are not easy to get hold of, but Sunwayfoto importer CameraGearUK recently received a small batch of the latest version. It has a few improvements relevant to the comments Steven made above and also in his more extensive blog review.

There appear to three versions of the GH-Pro, with the most obvious differences being to the control knobs. The original had plastic knobs ribbed for grip, finished with a silver blanking plate. Then came the Mk2 that Steven reviewed, which looked identical except for the red blanking plates and removal of the Sunwayfoto logo, perhaps in response to legal claims from Arca-Swiss. The current Mk3 model has redesigned knobs and levers - larger, with knurling for grip, and made of metal. While the claimed weight stays at 750g, it actually weighs 804g now, presumably because of the extra metal.

Another important change is to the base-panning lock lever that is not only larger but has an overhang so it won't foul against larger tripod platforms - it will now clear a 74mm diameter tripod platform. And while the design of the body appears unchanged, something must have been done internally to relieve the stiffness of the geared movements Steven mentions, because they are certainly not stiff now but quite light and very smooth.

As Steven says, its Achilles Heel is the lack of a geared panning feature, but it trades that for a double-pan - one on the base as usual, and another on the top clamp. It's a fair swap IMHO, and greatly extends the versatility, particularly for panoramas. It also allows the head to be used as a 'poor man's gimbal' and while it's no replacement for a pukka gimbal head, it's workable in a pinch for lighter lenses. Another important feature that often gets overlooked is the ability to function somewhat like a ball head. Again, it's not quite like a true ball head but when all the movements are unlocked it does a passable impression and it's an easy way of getting quickly into approximate position before locking off and fine tuning with the gears. See link below at 6.35 (blink and you'll miss it ;)).

It's a very nice piece of engineering, all aircraft-grade machined aluminium with a quality feel more akin to Arca-Swiss than rougher cast-magnesium rivals. For anyone who gets off on fine mechanicals, it's a lovely thing to use with high performance and silky precision.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_Fhcs04X0

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try to get mine serviced/upgraded under the 6yr warranty... the slight backlash and stiffness I noted hasn't gotten notably worse, but it hasn't really gotten any better either (not a lot of use TBH).

It's a fine bit of kit (IMO) and if "vertical/level" is all you care about it might be a great choice. But I have to say I think that the GD3WH with a panning clamp adaptor is probably the best do-it-all bang-for-buck right now, and probably all anyone would ever really need (still prefer the larger controls of the 405 in studio).

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try to get mine serviced/upgraded under the 5yr warranty... the slight backlash and stiffness I noted hasn't gotten notably worse, but it hasn't really gotten any better either (not a lot of use TBH).

It's a fine bit of kit (IMO) and if "vertical/level" is all you care about it might be a great choice. But I have to say I think that the GD3WH with a panning clamp adaptor is probably the best do-it-all bang-for-buck right now and probably all anyone would ever really need (still prefer the larger controls of the 405 in studio).

Tend to agree with your summary. Benro GD3WH is better than the Manfrotto 410 Jnr, mainly because it's much lighter and comes Arca-Swiss ready. It does need something like a panning top-clamp or a short nodal rail though, as discussed in the other thread.

Sunwayfoto GH Pro is better, if more expensive, though the non-geared pan vs extra top-pan feature may be either a deal-maker or deal-breaker, depending on use. Same weight as the Benro pretty much, it's the best all-rounder, for me at least, and it'll be my go-to head from now on (with Arca-Swiss P0 ball head for lightness on walkabout, and monopod use).

I think my Manfrotto 405 Snr will have to go. For very precise studio work (that I do less of these days) where it's massive weight is not an issue, it has the best fine control and stability and those big, fat knobs are so simple and easy. I'll miss it though ;)

Last edited:
If you put a panning clamp adaptor on the GD3WH you have the top axis both geared and panning... costs about $30. ;)

Yes (y) Can you recommend anything in particular/link in that price bracket? That will fit and function without getting in the way of anything, that doesn't weigh too much, and is man enough to take a bit of weight when tilted over? Must not wobble and must not shift position on locking ;)

Yes (y) Can you recommend anything in particular/link in that price bracket? That will fit and function without getting in the way of anything, that doesn't weigh too much, and is man enough to take a bit of weight when tilted over? Must not wobble and must not shift position on locking ;)
I have/use a long knob Andoer version (ebay)... It seems to work as well as the one on my Arca Swiss Z1DP and the GH-Pro. But none of them lock up all that solid IME... at least none I have tried. I'm not willing to drop $130 for the SunwayFoto one to find out if it's any better.
If the panning clamp shifts a little I would think the gearing could correct it easily enough... But, TBH they serve different purposes and I don't use them at the same time for the same thing...I.e. the panning clamp is only used for faster/looser type work, otherwise I just leave it off (but I don't own the GD3WH). I'm also not quite as critical in that aspect it seems.

Last edited:
I have/use a long knob Andoer version (ebay)... It seems to work as well as the one on my Arca Swiss Z1DP and the GH-Pro. But none of them lock up all that solid IME... at least none I have tried. I'm not willing to drop $130 for the SunwayFoto one to find out if it's any better.
If the panning clamp shifts a little I would think the gearing could correct it easily enough... But, TBH they serve different purposes and I don't use them at the same time for the same thing...I.e. the panning clamp is only used for faster/looser type work, otherwise I just leave it off (but I don't own the GD3WH). I'm also not quite as critical in that aspect it seems.

That looks fairly robust, but no weight given. If it's the same as this one (appears to be identical https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koolehaoda..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=8KFAH91BBNMZPN0CW89F ) then the stated weight of 270g rather takes the shine off it. Basically a non-starter if you want to retain the weight advantage of the Benro, and need to leave it on permanently in order to get the clamp orientation right. What does yours weigh?

My hunch is that the lighter panning clamps available are not really up to the task, at least not the cheaper ones, but I haven't actually tried one.

Last edited:
Mine weighs 218g... still puts the GD3WH about 310g lighter than the 410, and it's optional when you don't need it.
Nothings ever perfect, at least not for everyone...

Mine weighs 218g... still puts the GD3WH about 310g lighter than the 410, and it's optional when you don't need it.
Nothings ever perfect, at least not for everyone...

Thanks Steven. If yours is the same product as the one I linked, I'm guessing the 270g figure maybe includes the plate supplied. TBH I think Benro just needs to rethink the design of the GD3WH.

Back