Review Review: Saberstrip Light Modifiers.

Name
Emma
Edit My Images
Yes
I was looking for some strip light softboxes suitable for speedlights and came across a post discussing benefits of the Saberstrip Light modifiers.

After doing a bit of research and seeing them in use in videos by the Lightenupandshoot guys and Zack Arias and I took the plunge. I figured I would get a couple and see how they fare up and as I have learnt much from the good people who post here, I figured I would share my views on this bit of kit.

They sell in the US and as yet there is no export directly from the company to the UK, so I figured I would get one of my US-based friends to post them on to me. The actual purchase ended up being a bit of a nightmare, thanks in no small part to Paypal, who effectively sat on what should have been an instant payment for two weeks. Throughout that time, Scott Krebs who runs/owns Saberstrip was in touch explaining the problem from his end and, to be honest, was incredibly helpful throughout. Eventually the payment went through and about a week and a half later I had the saberstrips with me.

I have to be honest (although feel a little guilty) and say that I was a little disappointed when I first unpacked the saberstrips, as they looked a little flimsy and cheaply put together. I am happy to say though, that this first impression was less than fair and equally far from accurate. The material the saberstrips are made from is some super strong form of plastic described as "military grade phenolic tube" which is very lightweight (they probably weight around the same as my speedlight) and really does make the saberstrips incredibly portable. Their claim of unmatched weight and strength is most definitely met in the first part and, whilst I havent done any kind of tests as to exactly how strong they are, they are most definitely not flimsy, as I first thought when I took them out of the box.

Cut into the front of the tube is a recess to allow the light to come out (duh), covered with a lightbox-type white material, which actis as a diffuser. The inside of the tube is lined with reflective silver tape and there is an angled section of the plastic fitted into the far end of the tube to ensure an even spread of light emitting from the strip. It does reasonably well, in my opinion, although in the couple of photos I have taken of the saberstrips flashing, there is more intensity of light at the end the flash is fixed.

The saberstrips have a fitting for a hotshoe adapter in the base of one end, to which, the triggers are attached. This is secured by way of a screw in the bottom of the housing and is fairly simple to set up, which was good for me. Simples!

There is a screw thread in the bottom of the end the flash sits, which allows for a 3/8" lightstand adapter to be fitted, although I dont actually have any lightstand adapters that are suitable, this is a bit of a pain because it means having to buy more things - unless I have a good selection of VALS available :p

I have only had one opportunity for testing them out yet, which was last night, but they have been a revelation. I was using them in a small room whereby the small amount of space they take up as compared to umbrellas or softboxes was a godsend.

They too a little getting used to in terms of settings, but a new camera played its part in that too :confused:, however I am really pleased with the quality of light they emitted and the portability is fantastic. I love the catchlights they give too.

One vertical saberstrip to camera right.
xander2.jpg

One vertical saberstrip to camera right with one vertical at camera left and slightly behind the subject, flash on the left set at one stop lower than the one on the right.
xander1.jpg

Now, elsewhere on the intarwebs there are a few discussions about the Saberstrips and I was particularly interested in those that focussed on the DIY aspect of the Saberstrip.

I have no doubt that there are people who are good at making things out of an empty toilet roll, two washing up bottles and some sticky back plastic that would be able to make a reasonable impersonation of the Saberstrip. I doubt very much whether would be able to come anywhere near the solidity of the SS, or close to making something that would be as light and portable. For those of us that couldnt put together the most basic of contraptions, this is great.

Now the cost isnt cheap. I paid £177 for the two of them plus £46 in customs charges and unless you have hotshoe modifiers and lightstand adapters readily available, they are further necessary expenditure. This puts them slightly more expensive than a decent pair of umbrellas or softboxes, but they have more usability in difficult conditions and I have already mentioned the advantages in portability. They are also purported to allow one stop more light than a 28" Westcott softbox.

Overall I am very pleased with my initial impressions of my purchase and look forward to testing them out more. If you are looking for light modifiers and have the spare cash, I would recommend.

Last edited:
By way of an update, took the saberstips out to take some shots of a couple of the girls who live near me, they were on their way to a party. It was quite windy - well windy enough to cause problems with an umbrella or softbox and the saberstrips were no problem at all. Sat happily on the stand.

Here's one of the shots.

5870154545_80b239de62_b.jpg

These shots using the sabrestrips are great, light distribution is much nicer and you have managed to defeat the nasty hard shadows.

Back