Review Review - Sun Sniper "DPH" Double Plus Harness

Mike Jackson

Billy Brownnose
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Now that I've got two bodies I wanted to be able to easily carry them both when out and about. I looked at the various systems and decided that the sun sniper "DPH" Double Plus Harness (http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/sniper-strap-the-dph-double-plus-harness-steel-bear.html) was the one that I wanted.

It's not cheap and nowhere I tried had it in stock so I ordered one through park Cameras. I had a phone call confirming that it would be with me this week so took the plunge and sold my R strap and Sun sniper Steel strap last weekend. In hindsight that was possible a bad move before I'd tried the new harness but I was convinced that this was going to be the strap for me.

When the strap arrived I was a little surprised to see that it had no carabiner style clips to attach the cameras. I knew that the anchor screw contained a bearing race but I had assumed that there would still be some sort of clip. This was less of a drawback than I expected and makes the fixing to the camera a bit more secure as there is one less clip to come unfastened.

I finally used the harness in anger this morning. It sat very comfortably across my shoulders and didn't rub even when I put my rucksack on over it. The screws attached to the cameras very easily and the bearing meant that they were unlikely to come loose. Both cameras hung very comfortably at my hips and came up into the firing position very easily.

I loaded the harness fairly well this morning. On one side I had the gripped 50D fitted with a 100mm macro and ring flash and on the other my !D MK IV with 2 x extender and 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM II. Despite this fairly considerable weight I could barely feel the cameras hanging there.

An extra bonus of the harness is the steel reinforcing wire running through both straps. I don't often shoot in urban environments but this makes it more difficult for someone to cut the strap and make off with your precious DSLR. There is also a facility to hang a compact camera or pair of binoculars on the front of the harness.

On the whole I'm very pleased with the harness and would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to venture out with two cameras to hand.

I know this is going back a bit but can the DPH be split into one or two single straps? I've got the option to take one or two bodies out with me - probably one mainly but sometimes two and I didn't want to get two singles if a twin could be split...

Cheers,

Andy

Looking at the pictures of the strap here http://www.sunsnipershop.com/THE-DP...L-BEARING-SCREW-and-STEEL-WIRE-black::24.html it looks likely that it can be split into two single straps. It looks like it has a quick release snap at the front and a velcro strap at the back. It does look like a very good strap and one that is obviously well made and very secure. I may just look into getting one of these myself.

I got a Trekking Swing Up For 2 dual harness last year and while it's very comfortable and holds both cameras firmly I still have doubts as to whether the strap could slip through the locking mechanism and cause the camera to fall. I have tried my hardest to pull the strap through and not managed to make it move so maybe I'm being overly paranoid. This is the same as mine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trekking-...ography_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item1c360d1c85 but it doesn't look as strong as the Sun Sniper as it has no reinforcement, although it is a joy to wear and distributes the weight well.

No you can't split the actual harness but you can take the straps that the camera attach out of the shoulder pads.
Not very comfy to carry that way though :(
The advantage I have found if I am not have to quickly change focal lengths is to have two lenses attached
and just the one body, so I just change the body over when needed.
I too find it very comfy to wear, I use the 2 straps designed to hold a smaller camera as an extra security measure
so have both the mes and the camera attached to the harness

Back