Review RF602 Triggers Review

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I thought I oughta write you guys a little review of my new triggers as I haven't done a review on here before.
IMG_9794.jpg

They're Yongnuo RF602 wireless triggers for shutter, hotshoe or studio flash and come with cables for each.
The build quality so far is great as I've dropped em from about 6 feet onto carpet tiles over concrete three times so far (after that I taped them up there) and no damage (this was all before these pics), they feel nice and weighty too.
IMG_9799.jpg

I've used them with 100% reliability so far indoors in like a 10m radius to fire a 430exII on the shoe, studio lights on the cable and the camera on the other cable. Sync speed is reliably 1/200, I lose a third of a stop compared to a pc cable but hey its wireless. Reputed range is meant to be fairly massive but I have yet to try them outdoors over a greater distance, also useful is the ability to punch through walls a lot better than lower freq triggers 2.4ghz triggers really do have a lot of penetrating power. I have also not had any false fires due to interference with wireless or bluetooth including working around an AP and with a bluetooth headset on.
IMG_9800.jpg

There is a port in on the back of the reciever with a thread on it for the studio head cable, which comes with an adaptor for mini jack 580exIIs
IMG_9802.jpg

the camera cable plugs in here too
IMG_9804.jpg

There was a pc-pc cable in the packet too for hooking the transmitter up via pc cable, it is threaded too to stop it falling out. (I forgot to take a photo)

All in all they are great reliable little triggers that feel really well made and I'd recomend them to anyone. I paid 32 pound for them from flash in the pan on here but I'm pretty sure they're on ebay too.

Nice review David. I just found it during a search.
Are these the latest greatest ebay triggers then? I've been using the Yongnuo CTR-301's happily for 12 months but i've had 2 receivers die in a week (sods law).
I didn't know whether to get some replacement 301 receivers of go for a new kit like these 602's?

Anyone using them outdoors?

I was on PT-02s before these and they're a lot better.
I haven't done a proper range test but I have yet to have a misfire and I've done a fair bit with them on my 50d and Kiev MF body which both sync fine with (as far as I know)

they seem pretty bombproof, well the recievers do as I've roughed mine up some and its fine, the tx might go odd on you where the pin under the test button gets bent but all you do is take the top off and bend it back

also the Tx seems to fall off the hotshoe easily as it has no locking mechanism, no issue if you hang it from the pc port though

I've used em outside at normal working ranges perfectly reliably but haven't tested massive distances sorry

Are the cables needed?

Can I not attached the trigger to my hotshoe and then the receiver to my flash (inbetween the flash and my lightstand mount)?

Hope that makes sense.

yep transmitter can go on a hotshoe or be attatched via pc port

reciever can fire hotshoe flash/ studio flash via cable/ camera via cable

all those cables were supplied

I like having triggers on pc cables as it makes switching it to my kiev/zenit quicker if I am dual shooting with film, gonna buy another set soon to countermand that though

I need triggers that work on CH1-CH16 433.62MHz - do these do that? Do I need to get Pocket Wizards?

nope, these are 2.4ghz triggers a whole other band, what are you trying to tie into as the signal can be a complex one with diff triggers using diff pulses, one of the design ideas with mine even as basic triggers is to prevent misfires by transmitting a sequence not a single pulse

edit by mine I don't mean these I mean the ones I am building

I have a Sekonic L-758DR but I can't get it to trigger my Lencarta trigger - so I need something that will work with it - also be handy to have better triggering for SB-800's outdoors as the infrared is not reliable in sunlight. :(

Have just ordered a Nikon set off Ebay for £28, no postage charges from Hong Kong. (y)

Where did you buy them from? Price? Can you get more receivers? It's always helpful when they come with the extra cables required or you end up doubling the cost!

flash in the pan 32 quid

you can use them for self portraits but you can't use them as flash triggers too, so if you work ambient they're great or you need 2 sets (a half press of the test button works the AF and a full press is the shutter)

Mine turned up today. Going to give them a try later. A bit dissapointed to buy 4 recievers and only get 1 sync cord though. I'll have to use them on the hotshoe for now.

Mine turned up today. Going to give them a try later. A bit dissapointed to buy 4 recievers and only get 1 sync cord though. I'll have to use them on the hotshoe for now.

Even though you didn't buy from me :cautious: if I have spares I'll send you the cables you need for a donation to TP....

Even though you didn't buy from me :cautious: if I have spares I'll send you the cables you need for a donation to TP....

That's very kind of you but i've just noticed it's the wrong connector for SB900's anyway so i'm happy to use the hotshoe connection for now.
I still haven't tested them, it's been a busy day but i'll take a look tonight :)

I need triggers that work on CH1-CH16 433.62MHz - do these do that? Do I need to get Pocket Wizards?
You need a pocket wizard or a sekonic RR-32 reciever, keep an eye in the for sale section
as I will be listing one with a multimax.

Mine arrived the other day have had a play with them and they seem to work well, used them with my studio set up with no problems tried with my SB-800 off camera and that was fine and also as a wire less remote release,all in all im pleased. (y)

I haven't tried the 602s to trigger my camera yet, I use the YongNuo dedicated triggers (which FITP is kind enough to sell right here ;) ). They're much cheaper (£16 for the kit, instead of £30 for a Tx Rx kit) and I've never missed a shot. Then Tx in camera hotshoe to control flashes.

Range supposed to be 100m. Never tested that, been about 50m from my camera before without a problem though.

Build quality good, and massively cheaper than the Nikon version.

Word to the wise - take the remote shutter Tx CR2 battery out when it's in your bag! The little send button has an annoying habit of being bumped or fired when jostled around so your £6 CR2 battery dies really quickly.

Back