RIAT Airshow 23

I might book last minute, more likely to go during a cooler spell as heat have ruined my shots in 2018.

Yes we are giving it a miss this year - first time for many years.
Very hot last year, in and out with car tortuous and since the US military cut right back I feel it isn't the same.

Yeah last year was very hot, which I actually didn't mind, we had a half tent thing which was nice.

But I don't remember posting any of my photos from RIAT last year because it was so hot and due to the haze.

Yeah it was boiling .couldn’t even touch the aircraft it was so hot . I can’t complain as I get to go for free, and get paid to work .

Despite deciding not to go, temptation still exists. It would have to be Sunday now.

Can anyone tell me how busy it is on Sunday - esp car in and out.

Anyone got any advice on locations outside, was thanking maybe Lakeside

Lakeside is a good spot I went there last year it was fairly quiet in terms of number of people

I went to Totterdown campsite for a ‘park and a view‘ day few years ago. It was fantastic and would certainly recommend it.

Lakeside is a good spot I went there last year it was fairly quiet in terms of number of people

thank you Rob and Simon very much appreciated

Definitely easier than getting into the base to watch the display, been a few times over the years and it’s good to walk around the displays but also good to have the aircraft flying over your head when outside the base too.
It’s only a 20 minute drive for me

Totterdown just roll in and park up by the sound of it ? What's it like for viewing the aircraft, do they really fly overhead? Wondering if it's worth it, thanks.

Yes, they moved the display away from the main enclosures on the airfield for H&S reasons which brings it closer to Totterdown / Lakeside etc.
And they do literally fly over your head

Reactions: smr
Working there this morning, had a wander round for an hour this afternoon... got utterly soaked.... didn't even bother getting the camera out. Might head back on Sunday if weather looks ok, tomorrow is going to be a washout!

Working there this morning, had a wander round for an hour this afternoon... got utterly soaked.... didn't even bother getting the camera out. Might head back on Sunday if weather looks ok, tomorrow is going to be a washout!

I was going to park up at Totterdown either Saturday or Sunday but as you say the weather looks terrible for tomorrow and Sunday is iffy at best. Given I have to drive nearly 2 hours there and the fact Totterdown camp site is likely to be a swamp I am probably going to give it a miss yet again. Shame as I haven't been since just before covid hit.

What is is like for photography as Totterdown where I normally go could be closed tomorrow due to all the rain today.

Hi all,
Planning for lakeside Sunday, coming from Bristol area, does the one way system have an impact on my route?

Went on Sunday as well in the end and I ended up leaving after the downpour for the Harrier's afternoon display and had to drive home with no trousers on again!

It all seemed a bit subdued this year. Nothing really stood out for me. The display teams were "meh". The Arrows seemed very low energy and definitely miss the other aircraft. The Saudis were like the Aldi version of the Red Arrows.... looked the same, but not quite right. I actually quite enjoyed the UAE display though, mainly because it was a bit different. I guess we were spoilt last year with the Black Eagles.

All the fast jets seem to be getting further and further away each year. It was probably the atmospherics but they all seemed a lot quieter, except for the dual Tiffy take off, I think that was the only bit of action that got my rib cage rattling.

I'm not sure what the fuss was about the ME262. It's a reproduction and the display was mind numbingly dull.

It got to the point yesterday were I was thinking that next year I probably won't bother with my camera. I found myself taking shots for the first half of each performance and then just sitting down and watching and to be honest I much preferred that. I quickly went through my shots last night and there's a fair few I'm quite happy with, but I guess photographically I think I've moved on from airshows. After spending some time at the Loop, the Lakes and on SPTA it feels a bit like shooting fish in a barrel with dull backgrounds (there's either a hanger in the background or just sky).

I did spend a fair bit of time walking round the statics and got some great arty shots using my mobile that I'm really happy with and I actually really enjoyed doing that (Vertical panoramas of the heavies look great if you can work a leading line into the shot) the rain even helped as you could use the puddle reflections to great effect! so I think next year I'll probably just do that!

Last edited:
Went on Sunday as well in the end and I ended up leaving after the downpour for the Harrier's afternoon display and had to drive home with no trousers on again!

It all seemed a bit subdued this year. Nothing really stood out for me. The display teams were "meh". The Arrows seemed very low energy and definitely miss the other aircraft. The Saudis were like the Aldi version of the Red Arrows.... looked the same, but not quite right. I actually quite enjoyed the UAE display though, mainly because it was a bit different. I guess we were spoilt last year with the Black Eagles.

All the fast jets seem to be getting further and further away each year. It was probably the atmospherics but they all seemed a lot quieter, except for the dual Tiffy take off, I think that was the only bit of action that got my rib cage rattling.

I'm not sure what the fuss was about the ME262. It's a reproduction and the display was mind numbingly dull.

It got to the point yesterday were I was thinking that next year I probably won't bother with my camera. I found myself taking shots for the first half of each performance and then just sitting down and watching and to be honest I much preferred that. I quickly went through my shots last night and there's a fair few I'm quite happy with, but I guess photographically I think I've moved on from airshows. After spending some time at the Loop, the Lakes and on SPTA it feels a bit like shooting fish in a barrel with dull backgrounds (there's either a hanger in the background or just sky).

I did spend a fair bit of time walking round the statics and got some great arty shots using my mobile that I'm really happy with and I actually really enjoyed doing that (Vertical panoramas of the heavies look great if you can work a leading line into the shot) the rain even helped as you could use the puddle reflections to great effect! so I think next year I'll probably just do that!
Your experience sounds similar to how I felt last year so I didn’t bother this year. Maybe I’m getting old but it was starting to feel like too much hard work. look forward to seeing your favourite images.

Took this on last day of RIAT this year, used coloured smoke from Saudi air display team as a nice background

Attachments

• IMG_2270 (1)-1.jpeg
    IMG_2270 (1)-1.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 17
Back