RIAT-Ryhmes Farm Camping is....

Edit My Images
Yes
no more! Just read on another forum, apparently closed due to safety reason. I'm not surprised and did wonder if this was coming, but what's next? No public access to the link road down to crash gate 14?

For the first time last year, once Ryhmes was full, they closed the roads on the north side of the airfield to vehicles, would it be possible to close them off completely and stop access by foot?

I've always been surprised that the local council didn't put restrictions on Rhymes Farm for H&S reasons.
The council and police can apply for TRO's on any of the roads and footpaths to restrict people's access. They've done this to stop non-residents from cutting through various small lanes on the Saturday & Sunday public days since the mid 1990's (I don't recall them doing it for the 1980's or early 90's shows.but in those days I didn't go offsite on the sunday as i do now).

Might also be in response to the changes imposed by the authorities on the issue of crowd to aircraft proximity post-Soreham. RIAT may not have been possible with the Ryhmes Farm site occupied as there would be crowd presence on both sides of the display zone.

I've always been surprised that the local council didn't put restrictions on Rhymes Farm for H&S reasons.
The council and police can apply for TRO's on any of the roads and footpaths to restrict people's access. They've done this to stop non-residents from cutting through various small lanes on the Saturday & Sunday public days since the mid 1990's (I don't recall them doing it for the 1980's or early 90's shows.but in those days I didn't go offsite on the sunday as i do now).

I'd actually forgotten I'd posted this the other evening :rolleyes: :D

Hiya Iain, we've been going down for around 28yrs, think we've only ever missed two plus the one year it was cancelled. I have to admit, last year Rhymes caused a lot of congestion around the loop road, then the cars that couldn't get in on the Saturday all parked on the grass verge and for the first time (that I've ever seen) the police brought in the traffic wardens (in force) and ticketed every motor.

I don't disagree with its closure, it wasn't somewhere we used, but it would be a shame if they brought in a restricted zone and stopped cyclists and pedestrians getting close on the north side.

done for all the right reasons, but pity the poor farmer, I imagine he made a pretty penny out of RIAT over the years.

10's of thousands at a guess, unlucky I'd say but they've had a good run. I remember back in the late 80's ish asking at Totterdown Farm if we could sit in the field that's now their 'Pay per View', there was 8 of us at the time. We'd took the back rds into Fairford, parked up and walked down by the gravel pits, they said it was fine and even thanked us for asking first....... I often wonder if that's where the original idea actually came from! :D

I've only been to RIAT twice ('07 and '15). Grew up near to Upper Heyford and worked on the flight line for a while too, so always had great access to the air shows held there. Then we had kids and moved to the North-West, so Fairford was a long way to go with small children to watch planes.

FWIW I think there has been something of a knee-jerk reaction to the Shoreham incident in terms of safety 'improvements'. That said, I'm not the one that gets sued if something goes wrong I guess.

I think I've seen / heard something along the lines that the said farmer was after £200k to close his gates.. So what about Totterdown then..?

Any body know / heard if Rhymes is open this year..?

I've read its definitely not open.

It won't belong before they completely close the loop road down to crash gate 14a to pedestrians, they tried last year but once folk were in the fields on the NE side they let us down.

I've read its definitely not open.

It won't belong before they completely close the loop road down to crash gate 14a to pedestrians, they tried last year but once folk were in the fields on the NE side they let us down.

Cheers Phil.. How long before Totterdown goes..??

Back