Ribblehead Viaduct - Short Star Trail

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of weekends ago I was in North Yorkshire for the long planned light painting meet, but after the meet I then headed up to Ribblehead Viaduct as the clouds had completely cleared and the lack of light pollution really was too amazing not to pass up, I actually shot a 45 minute star trail, but the number of stars visible was really just so high that I ended up really finding it a little too much for the finished star trail...

So I have actually done this little five minute stack which is the shortest star trail that I've ever published with normally stating that the minimum I need to get a decent trail being 20 minutes, but I've never shot anywhere quite this amazing for view of the stars

So this is my image, it was shot at 30 second exposures at f/4 and ISO6400

Ribblehead Viaduct under the Milky Way for Five Minutes by mwhcvt, on Flickr

As with all my photos comments and critique are welcomed and appreciated

For those interested I'm planning a return to this location for the optimum conditions for shooting the milky way

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/ribblehead-viaduct-for-stars-milky-way.587131/

Matt

Cool... was up last month and had been thinking of doing the same, but the weather was against me :(

Thanks it was a wonderful evening, I only hope the weather gods are so kind to us for the July date :)

I love the angle and detail on the viaduct but the short trails look messy almost like a snowstorm. Personally I'd prefer longer trails. Shame about the light pollution below the viaduct but I think you've got a lot of potential in that site for more visits.

I love the angle and detail on the viaduct but the short trails look messy almost like a snowstorm. Personally I'd prefer longer trails. Shame about the light pollution below the viaduct but I think you've got a lot of potential in that site for more visits.

Thanks Derek, I do somewhat see where your coming from with the shorter trails, not sure if your on Facebook or not though it still should be visible even if your not, but if you click the Facebook link in my signature it will take you to my page where you can see a full 45 minute star trail...it's not on Flickr at the minute so cannot post it on the forum right now :(

I cannot wait to get back there again

Sorry Matt, i don't do Facebook but I'll try and see if I can click through, I'd like to see the 45 min version.

I'm sure you'll have a great time when you get back there. There's just so much potential in that site.

Sorry Matt, i don't do Facebook but I'll try and see if I can click through, I'd like to see the 45 min version.

I'm sure you'll have a great time when you get back there. There's just so much potential in that site.

as it's a page rather than a profile hopefully you'll be able to see it even though you don't do facebook :D

I saw it on the Facebook page and it was just as I'd have liked to have photographed the viaduct. I understand now why you posted the photo in this thread.

Are you completely nocturnal.....? :)

I saw it on the Facebook page and it was just as I'd have liked to have photographed the viaduct. I understand now why you posted the photo in this thread.

Are you completely nocturnal.....? :)

Pretty much, I do use my camera in daylight from time to time...however I'd wager 90% of my photography is after dark (y)

I'm not sure how far up north you are but maybe consider coming along for the meet we are planning back at the viaduct :D

Last edited:
I love the angle and detail on the viaduct but the short trails look messy almost like a snowstorm.
I agree. I think this is crying out for a static (non-trailed) image of the Milky Way.

I'm not sure how far up north you are but maybe consider coming along for the meet we are planning back at the viaduct :D

I'd really like to but I am so far north I don't have light pollution. We do have a street light, and sometimes it works, but I can switch it off. Unfortunately our rainfall is well over 2 metres annually and we have midgies so not as idyllic for night photography as might sound. :(

I agree. I think this is crying out for a static (non-trailed) image of the Milky Way.

To satisfy your good self and because I'm at the computer now rather than iPad I can show you this is the static stars, need to drop you a message later actually as need to ask a lens hire question :)

FB Ribblehead MikyWay END of STACK by mwhcvt, on Flickr

And for Derek or anyone else interested here is the full 45 minute trail...save anyone having to go to facebook

FB StarStaX_RIBBLE HEAD_0001-RIBBLE HEAD_0089_lighten by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I'd really like to but I am so far north I don't have light pollution. We do have a street light, and sometimes it works, but I can switch it off. Unfortunately our rainfall is well over 2 metres annually and we have midgies so not as idyllic for night photography as might sound. :(

Oh that's no fun at all on the midge's and the rainfall front's, reminds me as this is moorland I should probably take some anti midge spray with me for the next meet as more likely to be around in the warmer months I guess :(

The light pollution in the first of the 2 photos above adds to that photo.

as this is moorland I should probably take some anti midge spray with me for the next meet as more likely to be around in the warmer months I guess

Get one of the midge jackets. They are all mesh so not too hot to wear especially at night and you can pop a jumper or similar over the top of it to stop it catching on bushes and then you only need to zip up the hood if the midgies are really bad. The bonus is there's no nasty plastic-melting chemicals to damage your camera.

The light pollution in the first of the 2 photos above adds to that photo.

It's scary how much the light pollution travels as looking on Google Earth it's a fair few miles till you get to a large conurbation glad you like it though :)

Get one of the midge jackets. They are all mesh so not too hot to wear especially at night and you can pop a jumper or similar over the top of it to stop it catching on bushes and then you only need to zip up the hood if the midgies are really bad. The bonus is there's no nasty plastic-melting chemicals to damage your camera.

Great advice, I will have to see if I can get one in my size which could well be doubtful :( but we shall see

Great advice, I will have to see if I can get one in my size which could well be doubtful :( but we shall see

I had a look about the net and I'm surprised to see that the jackets are not readily available this year. I usually get mine from a store in Inverness. Size wise you'll get one to fit as they're quite roomy but if all else fails a midge net over a beanie hat is an alternative. And whilst we're on about bitey things don't forget tick spray for your trouser legs.

The single shot is by far the strongest for me, apart from the foreground being much better in the 45 minute blended exposure.

I think you could desaturate the orange in the light pollution a little, and blend in some better exposed foreground. There's a fair bit of purple fringing on the stars that you could easily get rid of too. (OK, it appears you've already dealt with most of these judging from your Flickr account).

I find the coma distortion annoying as well, but that's par for the course with that lens I suppose.

Brilliant! Thanks.

Your welcome :)

I had a look about the net and I'm surprised to see that the jackets are not readily available this year. I usually get mine from a store in Inverness. Size wise you'll get one to fit as they're quite roomy but if all else fails a midge net over a beanie hat is an alternative. And whilst we're on about bitey things don't forget tick spray for your trouser legs.

Oh I hadn't even though of those little suckers :( will have to head to the local outdoors store

The single shot is by far the strongest for me, apart from the foreground being much better in the 45 minute blended exposure.

I think you could desaturate the orange in the light pollution a little, and blend in some better exposed foreground. There's a fair bit of purple fringing on the stars that you could easily get rid of too. (OK, it appears you've already dealt with most of these judging from your Flickr account).

I find the coma distortion annoying as well, but that's par for the course with that lens I suppose.

The reason for the foreground/landscape being brighter in the 45 minute blend is because the moon was still above the ridge line for the first half of the exposure...I will have to check out the editing suggestions in the morning now but thanks for the helpful advice

Matt

Must admit I prefer the 45 minute one. I think the exposure of the viaduct is good but the star trails seem very bright. i wonder if a composite would give a better balance.

But its a great location.

Must admit I prefer the 45 minute one. I think the exposure of the viaduct is good but the star trails seem very bright. i wonder if a composite would give a better balance.

But its a great location.

Shouldn't be a need for a composite, it shouldn't be thst hard to just reprocess the stack files to reduce the intensity of the stars a little and then just restack the files

It really is a stunning location, hoping to really get the most out of it on my return there in a couple of months

Back