Richmond Park - Deer

Name
Tori
Edit My Images
No
I went to Richmond Park the other day and came across the deer (that took me about four hours to find!), but, hell, it was worth it.

ndtueu.jpg

302quth.jpg

I like the compositions, but to be honest they're a bit over processed for nature photographs to suit my taste.

Number 1 for me too. Good pose from the deer, and I think the processing works on that one, it really brings out the detail in the fur. Nicely done. :)

Brilliant, I live not far from Richmond and I have wanted to get out there to take some shots of the deer, I was unsure whether my 55-250mm would reach. Thanks!

Great captures which I like myself. If you can visit during the rutting season in October Tori, you'll be spoilt as to where to point the lens. It's a great place especially if you can get there very early.

Di

Great captures which I like myself. If you can visit during the rutting season in October Tori, you'll be spoilt as to where to point the lens. It's a great place especially if you can get there very early.

Di
Really? What's it like in October??

--
And dave, yeah the 55-200 would be fine. The younger ones aren't really tame so it might be a bit of a challenge but for the grown stags it's fine.

i like the processing as well, i went down last week managed to get quite close as well but only took about 10 mins to find them :p nice images again though, rutting season in october can be quite mad, the stags are a lot more active and will be chasing the doe around and if your lucky maybe a stag fight?
can certainly spend a whole day shooting!

The composition of the shots are excellent - some great poses and the focus looks nailed. I'm surprised it took you 4 hours to find them though, normally can't stop falling over deer except on packed summer weekends - must have been walking round the wrong bits of the park :thinking:.

I'm (personally) not that keen on the processing - the grass looks too unnatural in particular, and the sharpening makes the deer look like they are cut-outs... artistic effects need to either be over the top or subtle, and this falls somewhere in between.

...oh, and the white balance changes between shots...

Brilliant, I live not far from Richmond and I have wanted to get out there to take some shots of the deer, I was unsure whether my 55-250mm would reach. Thanks!

I've taken my best deer pictures in Bushy Park with my 50-135 f2.8, and all without getting too close, so you should be fine with your 55-250!

Really? What's it like in October?? QUOTE]

I've had frost on the ground and with the sun rising, the park setting is wonderful. Couple that with finding a stag bellowing in amongst the bracken, can make fanstastic shots.

I've only been down twice but will be heading down again this year I'm sure.

Di

A really strong set of images I like them, but the watermarks you put, can you not just pop them up in one corner, I think they are really annoying dotted about randomly on each image.

Back