Richmond Star Trails (New Added)

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
In an attempt to find some sort of photographic pursuit over the winter months that doesn't involve Wire Wool, I have taken to trying my hand at Star Trails (also known as standing in a cold field for a couple of hours)
I'm finding my camera is not best suited to this sort of photography, as i am limited to comparatively low ISO levels, also, the dusty old 5d Mk1 doesnt like the cold, and the batteries only last for an hour or so.
Still, a few shots to share of recent exploits. Your C&C is more than welcomed.

1) Easby Abbey
easby-96.jpg

2) Culloden Tower
16635029526_a5ccb9b1c3_b.jpg

3) Hurst Moor
16137554402_9e1e2340c3_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

They are wonderful..

I agree with the cold field bit, I stupidly rose from my pit at 2am this morning to do the same thing :coldfeet::coldfeet:

They are wonderful..

I agree with the cold field bit, I stupidly rose from my pit at 2am this morning to do the same thing :coldfeet::coldfeet:

Its always worthwhile to be fair. I've taken to a hot bath before I leave to warm my core temperature up a bit!! Thank you

They are great shots , well composed and subtle.

What were the number of exposures you used and length ?

Thanks Andrew - I've been switching between 30s and 20s exposures, and taking as many as the batteries will allow, usually around the hour mark! Thanks for your feedback!

I've got a bonus shot to add, but the cloud ruined it a bit, so I'm gonna have to go back and try it again, when the forecast is better!

16584255852_f7d2121d1a_b.jpg

Excellent set of images

The cloud hasn't ruined it all! Great shot :)

Thanks Mike. As the stack was processing, it looked so much better before the later frames induced cloud. I would have omitted these frames, but it left the trails too short. Gives me a reason to go out and do it better next time! Thanks for your kind words though!!

Excellent set of images

Cheers Phil, Much appreciated!!

These are very nice, I'd love to do some similar if I can drag myself outside in the cold. And if the cloud ever goes away. I must read up on how to find the Pole Star (if that's the correct thing to look for as the centre point).

These are very nice, I'd love to do some similar if I can drag myself outside in the cold. And if the cloud ever goes away. I must read up on how to find the Pole Star (if that's the correct thing to look for as the centre point).

Get yourself out there Mike, its always a great feeling to defrost with a whiskey while the stack processes. Generally, just shoot wide and point north, its a pretty safe way of finding polaris, alternatively, there are lots of smartphone apps which can help you out identifying the stars.

Easiest way I know of is to find the big dipper first. There are two stars at the end of the "cup" section of the dipper, which point almost exactly at Polaris, which is about five times the distance between the two stars away :)

Cheers. I downloaded Stellarium which I saw recommended elsewhere, that seems pretty good though I have yet to study it in any detail. Although I have a smartphone, it's a Nokia (Symbian) phone which isn't really supported any more, so phone apps aren't really an option. But I only shoot from the back garden for now, and no, that's not a euphemism.

Headed out for another pop on Wednesday, an old abbey bathed in Moonlight made for some interesting shots.
A star trail, a spin and a moonlit landscape from that evening

easbynight-112.jpg

easbynight.jpg

easbynight-120.jpg

As always - C&C welcomed

Another couple of trips in the bag this week. Last night got killed by a formidable wall of humidity that swept in unexpectedly, and fogged the lens up after about half an hour.

16792347015_4b07da51d7_b.jpg

16758829676_69b609e4e3_b.jpg

Any comments or criticism more than welcomed. I'll keep adding any more to a single thread, rather than clogging up the board after every trip.

Very nice set, but the wire wool shot is just brilliant

Thanks @HERC , I've been trying to put a bit of work in on the ol' wire wool shots, rather than just your bog-standard 'spin in a field' effort
Here's a couple from last week if you like

pingpong-3.jpg

pingpong-56.jpg

Cheers

Back