Rick & Anne Marie Got Married

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Hey folks. Another wedding from me. I was looking forward to this one. I have know the couple many years and at first they weren't going to have a wedding photographer. They told me they simply wanted to get married and have a party with their family and closest friends and they just wanted photos to capture the day and people enjoying themselves.

No bridal prep, no speeches, no cake cutting, no first dance. Why doesn't every wedding go like that? Where people choose to do what they want and defy convention and tradition? Anyway, I think I seem to be developing some sort of style, in the way that my wedding sets are very similar, hopefully in a good way. I am still not being as brave and bold and different as I want to be so welcome any comments on that. Here are a few photos and HERE IS A BLOG LINK for those who like to see the day as it went. :)

Blog-25.jpg

Blog-28.jpg

Blog-42.jpg

And one for the film lovers......

These look good Gareth. One very quick observation - can you sort her hair out in No.2. She'll thank you for it.

Not sure about the lack of eye contact with the confetti - not so much that they're not looking at the camera, but you can't see their eyes because of the crap being thrown at their faces lol, same for number 3, I'd like to have seen both her eyes rather than the hair getting in the way, but other than that I do like them - LOVED the blog in fact, looked like a great day had by all

awesome job! we've booked out togger for our wedding.... if they turn out half as good as these ill be happy :)

Fab Gaz ! Great bright and vibrant images.

Gaz

OK, ref the full works ...

You were simply too far away for the first four. That's why they look like "guest keeping out of snapper's way" pictures.

Groom & co walking to venue - let down only by the bloke behind the groom, for which the only solution is to recognise it at the time and keep shooting as you change your relative position.

B/w groom waiting for bride - that's excellent, and so are the next two.

Rest of the ceremony, recession and confetti are all really nice too, but I'd have to zap that black blobby thing over their heads in the b/w kiss shot

The four before the first lot of couple shots would all have so much more feel to them if you'd got in closer

First couple shots and details are very nice, but the two of the groom and the bloke with the pint, despite being well seen, again suffer IMO from a bit too much of the dispassionate observer

Next three are fine - especially the two of the girls, which are very well caught.

Evening couple shots and the dancing are at worst perfectly OK, and if anybody reckons that you need light trails and gimmicks for the dancing otherwise the snaps are dead boring, there's your proof that you don't.

The only suggestion I have after seeing this one is that unless you start getting a bit more presence/dynamic/pizazz into pictures like the first four and the four after the confetti, what you do get from those in-between times is going to start looking very limp by comparison with what else you're getting nowadays. And I don't know any way of injecting the missing "feel" other than getting in closer. (That's not to say that there isn't a way - only that I never found it.)

Anyhow, it's good. Keep it up :)

ETA - I omitted to say that IMO your processing's now spot on.

Last edited:
Not sure about the lack of eye contact with the confetti - not so much that they're not looking at the camera, but you can't see their eyes because of the crap being thrown at their faces lol, same for number 3, I'd like to have seen both her eyes rather than the hair getting in the way, but other than that I do like them - LOVED the blog in fact, looked like a great day had by all

Thanks for taking a look at the full works, Carl. Funny, I actually quite like that her hair is covering her eye in that one. There are plenty more where you can see she is a two-eyed person. :)

Thanks Andy. :)

Love these!! Can't wait for you to do my mate's wedding!!

Thank you Shaheed. I am really looking forward to it. They seem a lovely couple.

awesome job! we've booked out togger for our wedding.... if they turn out half as good as these ill be happy :)

Thank you for the kind words, Jason. Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. I am sure it will be awesome.

Fab Gaz ! Great bright and vibrant images.

Gaz

Thanks, Gaz. :)

OK, ref the full works ...

You were simply too far away for the first four. That's why they look like "guest keeping out of snapper's way" pictures.

Groom & co walking to venue - let down only by the bloke behind the groom, for which the only solution is to recognise it at the time and keep shooting as you change your relative position.

B/w groom waiting for bride - that's excellent, and so are the next two.

Rest of the ceremony, recession and confetti are all really nice too, but I'd have to zap that black blobby thing over their heads in the b/w kiss shot

The four before the first lot of couple shots would all have so much more feel to them if you'd got in closer

First couple shots and details are very nice, but the two of the groom and the bloke with the pint, despite being well seen, again suffer IMO from a bit too much of the dispassionate observer

Next three are fine - especially the two of the girls, which are very well caught.

Evening couple shots and the dancing are at worst perfectly OK, and if anybody reckons that you need light trails and gimmicks for the dancing otherwise the snaps are dead boring, there's your proof that you don't.

The only suggestion I have after seeing this one is that unless you start getting a bit more presence/dynamic/pizazz into pictures like the first four and the four after the confetti, what you do get from those in-between times is going to start looking very limp by comparison with what else you're getting nowadays. And I don't know any way of injecting the missing "feel" other than getting in closer. (That's not to say that there isn't a way - only that I never found it.)

Anyhow, it's good. Keep it up :)

ETA - I omitted to say that IMO your processing's now spot on.

Thanks as usual for taking the time to look at the full set, Dan and for the comments. For the ones where I am a little far away (first 4, etc), I actually quite liked the perspective. I think it gives a good mix to the ones where I am really close and involved. I will definitely try both though on the next occasion to see which I prefer when having the choice. Interesting that you describe the evening couple shots as, "at worst, perfectly O.K.". I thought they were some of the best couples shots I had done.

Love it Gareth. Awesome set.

Thank you, Marcus. :)

For the ones where I am a little far away (first 4, etc), I actually quite liked the perspective. I think it gives a good mix to the ones where I am really close and involved. I will definitely try both though on the next occasion to see which I prefer when having the choice.
And I'm obviously fine with you going with whatever you prefer, Gareth. But don't forget that I always comment from the POV of how you might best improve your punter-appeal.

Interesting that you describe the evening couple shots as, "at worst, perfectly O.K.". I thought they were some of the best couples shots I had done.

So did I. That's why I described them as "at worst, perfectly OK" i.e. the least impressive of them is perfectly OK.

Last edited:
Another stunning set of images. Late to the party with comments, it's been one of those weeks at work.

So....did you put your prices up??!!

Gaz. I can only imagine they must be thrilled. Great work. Love the Fillum shot.

And I'm obviously fine with you going with whatever you prefer, Gareth. But don't forget that I always comment from the POV of how you might best improve your punter-appeal.

So did I. That's why I described them as "at worst, perfectly OK" i.e. the least impressive of them is perfectly OK.

Thanks Dan. You know I appreciate you taking the time to look at the full set and your comments so don't think I was dismissing them. :)

Beautiful :)

Thank you, Dan. :)

Another stunning set of images. Late to the party with comments, it's been one of those weeks at work.

So....did you put your prices up??!!

Thanks Ian. Well, I did put the price up and on my site but as yet have had no enquiries or bookings at the new price so feel it could be a mistake.

Gaz. I can only imagine they must be thrilled. Great work. Love the Fillum shot.

Thank you, Trevor. There are a few more from the one roll that I shot and one of the others is going to be UK Film Lab's 'image of the day' so I will post it after they do. :)

Remember to think about hotdogs grasshopper (remember?). And also the film field of dreams, 'build it and they shall come'. It will happen, just get your marketing right and it as Trevor says be patient.

Really good job Gaz, nowt wrong with them at all. Regards pricing, I'm in the same boat as you, I put my price up to £1050 a few weeks ago. Had a couple of enquiries but no bookings. Starting to panic as I've only got 4 weddings in front of me so took the decision to go back to original pricing for now and offer 3 package prices like I used to when I started out.

Regards pricing, I'm in the same boat as you, I put my price up to £1050 a few weeks ago. Had a couple of enquiries but no bookings. Starting to panic ...

... when there is no absolutely no reason to. You cannot expect your target market to react to price changes within a matter of weeks, especially at this time of year.

Remember to think about hotdogs grasshopper (remember?). And also the film field of dreams, 'build it and they shall come'. It will happen, just get your marketing right and it as Trevor says be patient.

Hotdogs? Yeah I am happy being patient at least for the next few months. I have some beautiful weddings lined up for next year even though there aren't many. One is a 'country village' type as well as one in Derby and one over in Leeds. So some good potential there.

Really good job Gaz, nowt wrong with them at all. Regards pricing, I'm in the same boat as you, I put my price up to £1050 a few weeks ago. Had a couple of enquiries but no bookings. Starting to panic as I've only got 4 weddings in front of me so took the decision to go back to original pricing for now and offer 3 package prices like I used to when I started out.

Thank you. As, Dan says, I wouldn't panic just yet, I am not and your work is way better than mine. Your site looks really good too!

Thanks Dan, I will persevere with the higher price and see what happened over the Autumn.

Gaz thanks for the compliment but I'd disagree with you mate, your work these days is top notch.

Love these and the full set, love the editing style too.
I wish I was brave enough to take the plunge into wedding photography! Good luck with the business, although I'm sure you'll be fine.

These are lovely Gareth, I love the low key weddings, look at their faces, everyone's happy, that's what a wedding is all about. Love the proccessing, you have captured some lovely moments, and told the story of the day, keep up the good work.

Thanks Dan, I will persevere with the higher price and see what happened over the Autumn.

Gaz thanks for the compliment but I'd disagree with you mate, your work these days is top notch.

Thank you. :) Appreciate the kind words.

Love these and the full set, love the editing style too.
I wish I was brave enough to take the plunge into wedding photography! Good luck with the business, although I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you. I especially appreciate your comments about the processing. :)

These are lovely Gareth, I love the low key weddings, look at their faces, everyone's happy, that's what a wedding is all about. Love the proccessing, you have captured some lovely moments, and told the story of the day, keep up the good work.

Thank you, Jan. As above, appreciate the comments about the processing as it's something I keep working on.

Absolutely love the whole set (in your blog) and your style. The atmosphere in the first shot is great! Number 3 is beautiful. You did an amazing job!

Absolutely love the whole set (in your blog) and your style. The atmosphere in the first shot is great! Number 3 is beautiful. You did an amazing job!

Thanks so much, Melissa, and for taking a look at the blog. I just found your Exposure page. You have some excellent work!

Back