Ricoh GR / CoolPix A / RX100?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm looking to find a compact sized camera that is capable of high quality images. I've currently got a Fuji X10 but although I like the image quality, I find it too big for my pockets and as such often find myself without a camera. I've got an X-E1 for when I'm going on a photo day but would like a go anywhere camera.

I've considered the Sony RX100 as I believe it has similar image quality as the Fuji, but in a smaller body, but having looked around it seems the Ricoh GR is APSC and the reviews seem positive. Does anyone here have one and able to confirm how pocketable it is? I also looked at the Coolpix A but it looks expensive in comparison.

The zoom is not a key consideration for me, it's really all about image quality and pocket ability.

Any advice?

Regards,
Steve

I have both the RX100 and Ricoh GR. I purchased the Rx100 Soon after release and is a Superb little camera. Picked up the GR less than 2 weeks ago and I've been amazed at the image quality (well it does have an APS-C sensor obviously), the handling and menu system (best I've used period). You say the zoom isn't important to you (GR has fixed 28mm lens) and image quality is I'd say the GR wins hands down and is what you want (its also pocketable just like RX100 too)

Last edited:
I've not compared side by side (not used the RX100 in a while either), the GR is quick though.

Another area I tested at the weekend was the GRs lowlight capability, last two images on my flickr photostream were taken at I so 1600 and 3200 handheld and seem very impressive too

I will take a look mate...looks a cracking camera. Would you do away with your rx100 for it or keep both

Thanks Stuart

I will probably pass my RX100 on to my wife or daughters, actually gives me an idea for Xmas present :)

lol lucky wife or daughter!..I saw one on av forums for sale and done some digging earlier and was very impressed with what I read and saw. Dont think the fixed lens would bother me as I used to have a fuji x100 and loved it,I also find myself using the rx100 mostly at the wide end anyhow...Ideally I would like to have both and then decide which to keep but that may well get me slung out on a park bench this side of xmas lol:D

I have a GR waiting in the post office when I return home! Did a bit of research and these are basically my thoughts:

I eventually settled on the GR simply because it would offer a way of shooting that is more unfamiliar to me. I would be fairly familiar with the A as a Nikon shooter and so in some way it would be 'boring'. The GR seems to be better for more B&W work but Nikon colours will most likely be better. Assume IQ to be pretty much the same. From playing around with both, the GR is slightly quicker in good light and the A is more consistent in lower light. the snap focus on the GR does claw this disadvantage back.

The GR has an inbuilt ND and accepts the 21mm wide converter which could be fun to play with later on.

Either are a good choice - both built to an excellent standard, probably the A is better built. Just depends on what is slightly more important to you.

I looked at the rx100, the problem i have with it is that the aperture narrows very quickly when you zoom and the lens at 28mm is a little soft. I am a bit of a 28-35mm junky so i don't mind a fixed 28mm camera :)

Now only £60 difference on Amazon between Coolpix and GR - does this make people reassess?

GR downside for me is face detection only available in auto mode - why? I find this so useful especially with the ankle-biters! And apparently video isn't that smart. I'll await GR2, but I would like more feedback on the Coolpix.

Had a play with a GR and it feels really special in the hand.

Sticking with my Rx100 in the meantime.

Hi Stuart, yes I did! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Just awaiting despatch info from the seller, so fingers crossed! Will update the thread when I have a play on Friday.

Cheers mate..I really do fancy getting this camera but not sure I could replace my rx100 with it.

Yes I can see your dilemma to be fair the Sony Rx100 is a quality camera no doubt whatsoever,I however prefer the layout of the controls of the Ricoh and it just feels better in the hand to me. Whether the picture quality is better is iam sure subjective as always.

Thanks for the reply...certainly a tricky one! i may well get xmas well out the way until I am in a position to own both then keep what one I prefer.I dont want to sell the rx100 without having given the ricoh a good test. Are you local to Rickmansworth by any chance????

I live in Hemel Hempstead so not far from Rickmansworth Aquadrome.

I live in Hemel Hempstead so not far from Rickmansworth Aquadrome.
Ahh pretty close to me then..I am in Tring.Dont suppose I could twist your arm to let me bring an sd card along one day and try the ricoh out?..cheeky I know

Hi Stuart yes iam sure that won't be an issue,we will sort out a suitable day may not be though to after christmas though as iam away for a while

No worries Stuart we can have a wander down to the canal 2 minute walk away from me.

Nice one thanks...be good to try one out side by side with my sony

Back