Ricoh GR ii or FujiFilm X70 - anyone owned both?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I've come back from a recent holiday where I have had time to find my feet again with my current gear setup (5Dc, 40D and EOS-M). I had previously fell out of love with my EOS-M a bit, as I struggled without a VF. A VF is still a preference for me to get my framing spot on, but there are times when the lack VF is actually a good thing for me, better to catch candids, etc and in the end, it wasn't a dealbreaker for me - not as long as I have a DSLR to use if I feel the need.

The thing my EOS-M is not, is pocketable, even with the EF-M 22mm. So for me, if I have a camera on my shoulder or in my bag - it makes little difference whether it's one of my DSLR bodies or the mirrorless, it's more a case of where I'm going and how a DSLR with grip & bigger lens might be perceived. There were also times when it's sluggishness annoyed me - the times it goes to sleep just as you want to take a photo, then that delay waiting for it to wake up....that was annoying. The fact that you have to use the touchscreen so often to change settings - that is annoying. It's still a keeper for me at the moment, but I still felt like I had another gap I wanted to fill.

So I got thinking about truly pocketable cameras again, and kept coming back to the Ricoh GR II - a camera I can have with me, everyday, something that can create good quality JPEG's or mono conversions when I don't want to do any PP, wi-fi, snap focus, etc - all sound great.

However, the X70 is nagging away - lovely Fuji JPEG's, possibly better build (Ricoh's seem to suffer with dust in the lens/sensor from being pocketed and also some shutter failures), articulating touch screen.

It's a tough one!!

So for those who have used both - which did you gel with, and why? Thanks :)

Decision made............picked up a Ricoh GR (mk1). The fact that it was the smallest was the deciding factor - hoping to keep this camera with me as much as possible.

Looking forward to receiving it :)

Back