Ricoh GR - JPEGS

Name
david
Edit My Images
Yes
I took ownership of a Ricoh Gr yesterday and have spent the majority of the last 24 hours comparing its output to my plethora of other cameras, namely a Sony A6000, a Sony Rx100 and a Fuji X100. Maybe it's just down to me but a find the quality of the Ricoh Jpegs to be appalling (I'm talking standard colour, not B&W) - well maybe slightly overstated. Any views on this?
Thanks,
David

I took ownership of a Ricoh Gr yesterday and have spent the majority of the last 24 hours comparing its output to my plethora of other cameras, namely a Sony A6000, a Sony Rx100 and a Fuji X100. Maybe it's just down to me but a find the quality of the Ricoh Jpegs to be appalling (I'm talking standard colour, not B&W) - well maybe slightly overstated. Any views on this?
Thanks,
David
Does not surprise me - why buy a premium camera like the GR and shoot jpg? :confused:

As well as shooting JPEG, what are you expecting it to do differently to your existing kit? You've already got probably the best compact, an excellent fixed lens APS-C and one of the best mirrorless cameras :0)

Does not surprise me - why buy a premium camera like the GR and shoot jpg? :confused:
Won't get into the JPEG vs RAW debate - suffice to say the JPEGS from the other 3 cameras have meant a lot of saved time in LR ie they are fine as they are generally - saves time & effort (and disc space).

Last edited:
As well as shooting JPEG, what are you expecting it to do differently to your existing kit? You've already got probably the best compact, an excellent fixed lens APS-C and one of the best mirrorless cameras :0)
After the grail camera!(-: and this could replace all three potentially - apart from the absolutely useless video........

But they're all completely different cameras? I guess the question is what do the other three not do that you expect the Ricoh to do?
Actually, I use them in much the same way - the RX100 rarely gets past 28mm, the Fuji is stuck at 35mm and the A6000 has a 30mm Sigma welded to it, so, in effect, I use them all as fixed lenses. The APCs (ironically with the viewfinders that are never used) I use indoors, the Rx100 outdoors. Mostly family stuff. The Ricoh might eclipse all of them if I use my Note 4 for video......that was the thinking......small, portable, high quality, great UI.

I guess the question then is which do you prefer physically? If you're shooting them all around the same focal length you don't gain anything having interchangeable lenses so the A6000 may not add benefit. Also, if you're happy with video from a Samsung Note 4 you're probably not going to see much gain in shooting video with anything better.

If it was my choice I'd personally keep the A6000 over the others because it's small but offers future upgrades with new lenses (or old manual glass) and shoots 1080P video so does everything.

I guess the question then is which do you prefer physically? If you're shooting them all around the same focal length you don't gain anything having interchangeable lenses so the A6000 may not add benefit. Also, if you're happy with video from a Samsung Note 4 you're probably not going to see much gain in shooting video with anything better.

If it was my choice I'd personally keep the A6000 over the others because it's small but offers future upgrades with new lenses (or old manual glass) and shoots 1080P video so does everything.
Steve, you're absolutely right, the A6000 is an outstanding camera..........but when did logic ever come into GAS!(-;

Not to everyone's taste but I've been shooting jpeg's with the cross process film sim :).
I've had the GR for a while now and have never shot in standard colour.View attachment 40566View attachment 40567View attachment 40568

These look great!

I love my Ricoh GR, but can never seem to get nice jpegs out of it ( same with my x100t ) I've tried a few times but always end up switching back to RAW.
I do love the B&W output, so I shot some RAW+JPEGS in the various B&W settings and created Lightroom presets that matched very closely. Now I shoot RAW only and apply the B&W settings in post.

Also loving the high sync flash speed due to the leaf shutter. I see this feature mentioned about the X100 a lot, but very rarely the GR. It's an amazing little camera.

Recent example using high sync flash ( built in flash )
Sunset moments by Peter Lourenco, on Flickr

Back