Riconar 55mm on K100D - aargh

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello - dSLR noobie here! I've just bought a Pentax K100D with kit lens and it's fantastic - I've just spent a week in Spain having fun with it and learning my way round it.

I came home to an eBay package containing an old Ricoh Riconar 55mm prime lens, f/2.2, original PK-mount. I unwrapped it with excitement and took a few shots with it. The focus ring is lovely and gooey and the view is bright and clear through the finder.

I'm a bit confused about how the lens works though. The camera doesn't seem to have any way of changing the aperture automatically. I thought I'd be able to use aperture priority mode, but the camera persistently displays "Av --" on-screen, and doesn't have a clue what setting the aperture ring is at.

After experimenting, the only way to get it to stop down AT ALL is to manually select the value with the ring and be in Manual or Bulb modes. The diaphragm then stops down to the ring value on shutter release, DOF preview or 'AE-L' button.

At least I can use a sort of half-baked aperture priority system by using Manual mode, setting the aperture ring and hitting 'AE-L' to get the camera to stop down, meter and set a Tv.

(The ring has no A setting as far as I can see, although there's a blob between f/4 and f/2.2 that it can be set to. What does that do?)

I was wondering if I was missing something, and there's an easier way to go about things.

My other, more serious, problem is that every picture from it looks like someone's huffed on the lens, or had an unfortunate accident with a tub of vaseline - there's this horrid glow around highlights. I'll demonstrate with a crop of the image (this part was perfectly in focus in the viewfinder and according to focus confirmation):

The lens is really clean inside and out. What on earth's going on? Aargh... help!

Thanks
Jonathan

I’m not sure but I think the lens you refer to was a manual only and the camera will not be able to communicate with it, I think the only thing you can do to get any automation is to set the camera to programme set the aperture on the lens manually and the camera should set the shutter speed but I could be totally wrong.

I think two things, first Rhodese is probably right about the lens being manual only I've had a look at a couple on eBay and those definately are.
The second thing I think is that you've been sold a pup, the image example seems in focus but incredibly soft.

OK - thanks a lot guys. I can handle using this lens manually - a drag but next lens I get'll be KA-mount.

Is there any way to fix this soft focus? The lens is totally clean inside and out. What's physically wrong with it that makes it do this when presumably it was usable when it was new?
A fastish 83mm lens (on 1.5x FLM) to go with my 18-55 would be very nice to have, being a poor student... would be great if I can fix it.

I'm not scared of disassembling it!

Hmm... upon careful comparison of pictures between kit lens and this lens at f/5.6 and f/16, I can barely tell the difference (perhaps the Rikonar is ever so slightly clearer). So it's only at the fast end that it plays up...

Well that's good news, at least the lens is going to be useable m8.

Thanks, yeah, although it doesn't do anything the kit lens can't :(

BUT - there are loads of similar Rikenons (50mm f/1.7 for instance) on eBay.

Is it worth buying another, or will that be rubbish like this one?

BUT - there are loads of similar Rikenons (50mm f/1.7 for instance) on eBay.

Is it worth buying another, or will that be rubbish like this one?

The XR Rikenon 50mm f1.7 is one very sharp lens. It is obviously sharper than the kit lens at the same focal length.

Andrew

Lots of cheap lenses do that wide open (the weird dreamy glow). Easier than trying to do it in PP!

Better off with a 50mm f1.7 if you want to avoid it.

You will probably be better asking a on a different forum for this. I know there used to be lots of people on the dpreview Pentax forum using old manual lenses.

How easy do you find focussing with it? I have wondered about going a similar route myself as I couldn't afford to buy many new lenses if I get a dSLR. However, I am not sure how practical focusing manually through a small cropped viewfinder without a ground glass would be.

Back