Right, Fortnightly / Weekly / Monthly themes etc.....ideas and suggestions please :)

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Okie dokie,

As per a little chat with namllihs the other day, it's high time here at TP towers we got off our backsides and sorted out some inspirational themes for everyone :)

Quite rightly he pointed out that these themes are a gem when it comes to unsticking the creative block that we all seem to suffer from sometimes.

It's good to have a theme to work towards, to get our creative juices flowing.

So with that in mind, how would you all like this to run?

Weekly? Monthly? Fortnightly? Ad-hoc?
How do we decide the theme? Polls? Where do the poll options come from...a running thread of suggestions?
Do we have votes on a 'winner' or do we have it as a rolling theme where everyone just submits their 'take' on the subject/theme for discussion.

Thoughts, comments, rotten tomatoes, and spare BG-E2 grips to the usual address please :)

I like a poll and a winner.....not sure what time scale to use though....maybe monthly? Good idea Steve!

Hmmm, how often does an 'ad hoc' turn up? Seriously, a good idea.... how about monthly?

Erm ... 'scuse me for stating the obvious ... AND I'm probably well wrong as usual ... but didn't this used to take the form of a 'Fortnightly Assignment' ... with a poll to select the topic (same as/similar to theme no ... :thinking:) ... :shrug:

Anyway ... great idea ... old or new ... :D ... and used to inspire me when I had the time ... even if I only thought about a subject and took photos not fit for posting ... at least it got the grey matter and shutter finger working fairly regularly ... :D

Let's go for this too ... (y)

Suggest a 'Theme Poll' for subject and 'Monthly Assignment' might work better ... imo ... ;)

:p

I think you did the right thing taking the comp theme poll away. Nice clean defined time scales and everyone knows what they have to do.

Themes (as ven says fortnightly assinments) have always run as a bit of a muddle in the past. I'd suggest mirroring the competition with the same monthly duration so it is clear. Maybe have a poll in a new thread for the following months theme running at the same time for the last 2 weeks of the month. Add another poll to the theme thread after a new one has started if we want a vote.

It is a good idea - fortnightly keeps it regular without being *too* regular, and although monthly makes more sense, the number of submissions would probably be enormous!

:p!
Yeh, I'll hold my hands up - newbie here!
I just got the impression (because there's so many talented photographers on here) that it might get a bit overwhelmed with entries. If that's not the case though - I might be able to find 10 mins every month to have a go so it would be my prefrence!

I think a monthly challenge would be a good idea. If I remember correctly the original challenges were voted on and the 'winner' got to chose the next theme. I find this sort of challenge means when I am out I have at least one idea on what to shoot.

Ive definately slipped out of the loop lately, Ive been pondering some life changing decisions and just fell into a rut.
Id planned to enter this months comp but havent got my camera out of the bag as I just dont feel good enough right now.
So, for me, a lighthearted 'challenge' would prob be ideal to coax me from my shell again. (y)

How about a monthly assignment/theme ending mid month (running 16th to 15th say) - spreads the challenge load a bit!

there is a thread of inspirational themes somewhere, so we have plenty to do, the only problem is the shocking admin team here that think 2 weeks is 19 days

Brilliant idea. It would certainly give me something to focus on.. As we are now moving into a dreary part of the year, how about colour as a theme? Should get the creative juices flowing

How about every fortnight, we change the theme?
Starting every other Sunday....
We can discuss how to change it over the next two weeks (by poll etc or whatever).
No voting or competition / winners, all just for fun and inspiration.

Should we all use one thread for submissions, or use the Photo Sharing area as normal, and use one thread in here for discussion....possibly linking to the photo sharing area.

Ok this may sound lame but what if when you enter the theme you must comment on at least 2 other pictures. In depth comments about what is good and bad. That way we get something out of our trials. I know it is a bit like flickr but I like getting that sort of feedback as too often you get good shot with nothing about why it is and what is lacking.

I like that sort of idea...So submissions and discussion would all be in the one thread? Would keep it tidy I suppose.

I like the idea of a 'monthly/fortnightly challenge' (personally I'd prefer fortnightly) with everything in one thread. It gets too complicated zipping from threads with pics and threads with comments (or maybe that's just me :LOL:).
I'd prefer a thread per month if it was monthly (ie January Challenge etc) rather than half way through the month. There are plenty of ideas to work on from the list of inspirational themes, although a poll maybe useful too.
The idea is great, but does need some good organisation as I think it's gone to ground too often, then people lose interest. Hell, I'd even be willing to take over and organise it :D

Yup, I'm certainly with the idea of fortnightly ideas, and keeping both the pix and the appraisal in one forum. And I'm not so sure about polling... feedback is all I'm after; I want to improve, not necessarily take a 'better' pic than anyone else. And I like the idea that you have to critique at least 2 other pix of you want to submit one.

Let's do it! (y)

I think we know what the admins should have on their new year resolutions... ;)

How about one thread every two weeks, to keep it fresh. No winner, no votes or anything.

Submissions and discussion all on one thread. To submit, you have to comment on the previous pic before your post, plus any other, in a constructive way? Maybe just say what you would try differently. Not necessarily "Thats wrong, or thats right", offer a different eye on the image?

We could run it sunday to sunday, changing at, say 8pm every sunday evening. Clear timescale and we don't have to work out "When's two weeks from now" etc etc. Every other sunday...8pm.

Does that sound OK?
How would we decide on the theme? Randomly? By Poll? Votes, suggestions and lists? Etc. New vote everytime the theme changes? (Taking the old theme off the vote list, and adding a new one perhaps).

That all sounds pretty good ... and better than nothing ... :D

TBH Marcel ... the voting thing may well get in the way of progress unless ... each picture poster names their preferred ... majority 'votes' then taken through as next round ... ?

That way you gotta be innit to influence it ... the next subject that is ... no picture = no votes ... !

:p

Tell you what....eerrrrmmm

How about "Light" as a theme to get you going.....
Leave it running for just over two weeks, so next change on Sunday the 14th? (at 8pm ish)

And we can thrash out the semantics of how we're going to choose the themes, over the next two weeks.

Looks like it's fortnightly then. I remember when I joined here first the fortnightly/monthly thing being a little confusing. Once you have all your "semantics" decided Marcel how about a couple of stickys explaining how it all works for the benefit of the newer members.

Can I also ask that you PM me (at least three times) to remind me of deadlines. :D

I think this is a fortnightly themes is a fab idea, and I hope everyone makes an effort to embrace it ... and that includes me!
I also hope that peeps will be openly critical, in my case anyway.
Obviously Im not looking for comments like "Thats total cr*p" but I wouldnt mind if peeps said that if they backed up with genuine reasons as to why they think its crap.

Wooooo! time to get the camera out!

Back