right need to make a choice-what camera to go for

Name
lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
right people i am a little lost of what camera to go for, i am selling me a200 and going for something a little better, at 1st i wanted to get a sony a550, but after reading Sony Alpha 550 Review: 27. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review it says the jpeg out put if not that great, but being no pro at all i thought there test shot were ok, still soft at 100% zoom,

but then i started to read about the canon 550d, they seem to like it, but where one fail`s the other seems to do a little better and vice versa,

does any one out there have a sony a550??? how do u get on with it???

is the canon worth the extra cash??? also they say you really need a high end glass to get the best from the canon, how will there kit lens compare to my sony a200 with sigma DC 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 lens????

thanks for any help guys, just wondering where to go.

btw i have touched both, and there both good, shame i can`t have 2.

If jpeg output is not good, shoot in RAW.

yeah that`s what i was thinking, but will the raw`s come out nice or will they need to be edited, i dont mind editing some but i don`t wont to have to edit every one, i am not sure if i am being silly, i am thinking the a550 will produce worse pics than my a200,, and i hope it wont.

For purely the huge selection of lenses and accessories available I would personally go with the Canon...its also their latest model in that range....they'll both take great photos however so whichever you decide to go with I'm sure you'll be very happy with IQ. Oh and the Canon wont take worse pics than the Sony........thats down to the photographer :LOL:

Last edited:
Every RAW will need editing and sharpening to bring out the best from it.

Every RAW will need editing - period.

You can't 'save' a RAW image - you have to 'edit > save' as a JPEG, TIFF etc...

just been to look at cameras and now thinking about getting a nikon d5000
will this be a good upgrade from my a200???

Last edited:
You will be limited to lenses with built in focus motor(AF-S) as the D5000 does not have a focus motor in the body - but there are plenty of AF-S lenses around :)

yeah that`s what i was thinking, but will the raw`s come out nice or will they need to be edited, i dont mind editing some but i don`t wont to have to edit every one, i am not sure if i am being silly, i am thinking the a550 will produce worse pics than my a200,, and i hope it wont.

There is nothing wrong with the quality of jpgs created from raw files using the Sony IDC software, also the a550 should have the most up to date in-camera jpg conversion algorithms. Shooting raw and converting later gives you more PP options and you can batch process with the same conversion settings. The software is unwieldy and non-intuitive though, at least I find it so. I can't see how the a550 will produce worse pics (arguments about CMOS vs CCD aside).

Sony, Canon or Nikon bodies all have the ability to produce great pictures that are only limited by the person operating them and all have some amazing glass available.

Back