Ring flash for fashion photos

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
In Death in Paradise someone was using a ring flash to take photos of models. I am not suggesting that this was realistic, but in real life do people do this and why?

I doubt a Canon ring flash would have sufficient power to act as a fill light. Rings are associated with macro distances and have a GN that is appropriate (even if using a small aperture).
I have seen some close up portraits taken using ring flashes but with a GN of 14 or 24, depending on model, it's quite low powered and I am guessing they are used because of teh catchlights they create being a bit "different".
Not sure about other manufacturers though as I dont know their GN.

Matt

It's a technique that's sometimes used - it produces a very stylised look that people sometimes want.

But as above, the ringlights sold for Macro don't really have the power.

I have had several over the years from a beast of a Bowens & power pack to a Lencarta and now use a Godox AR400 which coupled with Fuji X is a lightweight portable system which is ideal.

I will be shooting some autumn fashion in Clumber park today using this set up but as has been said you need to keep an eye on settings as too much movement gives variance in exposure..

Back