ring flash

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
this is new to me not really sure about them so

whats the benefits and disvantages of ring flash's what sort of work are they aim at????

excuse the spelling im usless lol

I was after that ring flash kit, however it got awarded 3/5 in the latest Practical Photography (I think it was that mag), which has made me reconsider.

Ring flashes are common in the fashion industry due to the wrap around light and strong highlight effect it creates. Saying that, it can be used for anything (including macro).

Have you noticed the US progs on the TV. Police investigators checking on a corpse etc have cameras with ring flash

I was after that ring flash kit, however it got awarded 3/5 in the latest Practical Photography (I think it was that mag), which has made me reconsider.

I've just seen that review and was a bit surprised at some of the comments, especially as it wasn't compared to any other ringflashes and the fact that the whole concept was new to Practical Photography. I was especially surprised at the comment "So you'll have to stand back from your subject and use the long end of your standard zoom" which isn't true and which of course is the opposite of how ring flashes are used.

Some TP members have bought this kit, maybe they'll post their own, real world experiences in this thread. And, if anyone wants to have a play, I have one in my own studio.

Police investigators checking on a corpse etc have cameras with ring flash

I wonder what part of the body they would be taking photos of then!! ;) ;) :D

I wasn't interested in one until I saw the home made on in one of the mags this month.
As soon as I get chance I am going to have a crack at making one I think.

I wasn't interested in one until I saw the home made on in one of the mags this month.
As soon as I get chance I am going to have a crack at making one I think.

You should! Let us know how you get on with it!

Cheers Amythyst,
I will do.
I was planning on taking some snaps at each stage to show the process I followed.

I've just seen that review and was a bit surprised at some of the comments, especially as it wasn't compared to any other ringflashes and the fact that the whole concept was new to Practical Photography. I was especially surprised at the comment "So you'll have to stand back from your subject and use the long end of your standard zoom" which isn't true and which of course is the opposite of how ring flashes are used.

Some TP members have bought this kit, maybe they'll post their own, real world experiences in this thread. And, if anyone wants to have a play, I have one in my own studio.

I hope so, because I'd love nothing more other than to hear they are excellent. Buy buy buy :)

I'd be interested to see what the Orbis/Rayflash adapters are like compared to the kind of DIY projects posted around the internet; word on the grapevine is cactus may be planning something in the lower budget end of this arena, however

There seems to be a bit of a mix up on the internet. People talk about flash then show a circle of permanently on superbrite LED`s Not 100% and expensive to make. 100 @ £1.40 each, thats expensive. This is not flash. Others use diversion methods from there hotshoe mounted flash. Quite good.

Hi oldfella,
I guess in the truest sense of the word, no it isn't flash because, well nothing goes flash!
But it is still a good, cheep way of getting a similar effect.
As for the cost, anyone paying £1.40 for a LED is a crazy fool, you can buy them in bulk on loads of sites on the net or if you are really cheep (like me) use old Christmas light like I have. 250 lights and they cost me about £5 from tesco a few years ago!

My mate bought a Ray Flash and I was a pretty sceptical of it before he bought it, I was pleasantly surprised one I saw a few photos from it. They're well expensive for what they are but they do give good results. I believe one of the chinese factories has reversed engineered one and you can pick up a copy for about 50 or 60 quid.

Hi oldfella,
I guess in the truest sense of the word, no it isn't flash because, well nothing goes flash!
But it is still a good, cheep way of getting a similar effect.
As for the cost, anyone paying £1.40 for a LED is a crazy fool, you can buy them in bulk on loads of sites on the net or if you are really cheep (like me) use old Christmas light like I have. 250 lights and they cost me about £5 from tesco a few years ago!

Having built a few adaptors for flash (photo and macro) using LED`s for close up focussing, they are ideal for getting close to the subject due to their small size. Tree lights are to big and they are mains operated, not good for portability.

o yes, agreed.
I made a ring "flash" using Christmas tree lights about a week ago and have had some cracking results with it.
I can never take it out and about with me because it is mains powered but then that wasn't what it was built for! It was built with close up portraits in a studio environment in mind, and it is great at doing just that.

About 5 minuets ago I finished building an adaptor for my flash gun using card, gaffa tape and a plastic bag, and it works like a treat!

o yes, agreed.
I made a ring "flash" using Christmas tree lights about a week ago and have had some cracking results with it.
I can never take it out and about with me because it is mains powered but then that wasn't what it was built for! It was built with close up portraits in a studio environment in mind, and it is great at doing just that.

About 5 minuets ago I finished building an adaptor for my flash gun using card, gaffa tape and a plastic bag, and it works like a treat!

Oh, so you run a dance hall as well as a studio do you. :LOL:
To be serious
I just cannot see tree lights as the lighting for portraits.

o yes, agreed.

Oh, so you run a dance hall as well as a studio do you. :LOL:
To be serious
I just cannot see tree lights as the lighting for portraits.

If you look at my very sparse gallery you will see a front flash for macro that I made.

I must have missed something, that or the cold has got to my head but I don't get the dance hall joke.
I don't run either, I'm a project manager for a living and a hobby photographer.
If you gey chance take a look at the jan practical photography. The make a ring light using christmas tree lights.

I must have missed something, that or the cold has got to my head but I don't get the dance hall joke.
I don't run either, I'm a project manager for a living and a hobby photographer.
If you gey chance take a look at the jan practical photography. The make a ring light using christmas tree lights.

A LA MOZART MINUETS

Is that because the finished light has a pretty round pattern? or because it is 1000 Joules?

Back