RING FLASH

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - has anyone got any views comments on whether the Nikon SB R1/C1 is worth the extra over the Sigma EM 140 ring flash. I use a D300, but am a newcomer to macro and wonder whether it is worth going for a really good set up now, rather than economize- cheers

I can't speak about the Nikon twin light specifically but will give an appraisal from the Canon point of view.

The Nikon SB R1/C1 seems pretty much like the Canon MT-24 Twinlight and the Sigma EM140 is a ringflash....I had one of these but currently have Canon's MR-14.

The EM140/MR-14 is fine for indoor stuff but the Twin-light style offers far more flexibility to control where you want the light when shooting bugs and alike.....I use the MT-24 95% of the time and well worth the extra IMO.

Bob

Hi - has anyone got any views comments on whether the Nikon SB R1/C1 is worth the extra over the Sigma EM 140 ring flash. I use a D300, but am a newcomer to macro and wonder whether it is worth going for a really good set up now, rather than economize- cheers

As you have a D300 you will only need the R1 as it has the commander unit built into it, I am using a R1 with the D300 and its very good, it also has the advantage that the flashes can be mounted off camera with the stands supplied and you can position the flash heads around the lens in different positions and different angles , I've not used a ring flash so i cant offer a direct comparison.

Back