Ring Flash

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
As you guys may know I am in the market for doing macro and came along this Ring flash and it £120 and wonder if it any good

MARUMI DRF-14C Ring Flash Canon EOS

Regards

Am in the same boat as you, but looking to get it for my Nikon set-up. That said, you know you can get this for under £100? Check Amazon for price :).

One thing to note with this flash is that it only has one lamp. This will provide a very flat light to the subject and can look a little false and repetitive as there'll be little in the way of depth to the shots.

The Canon MR-14EX (and Sigma EM140 DG) have twin lamps and a different ratio can be selected on each....thus giving some low and highlighted areas to the subject.

The Canon version is quite expensive but the equally good Sigma can be got for less than £200....worthy of consideration. I've got the Canon version and previously had the Sigma one and there's nothing to choose between them really.

Bob

I've got the Canon version and previously had the Sigma one and there's nothing to choose between them really.

Bob

seconded, i have the sigma and its a good build and ettl works a treat.
Make sure any ring flash you get has 2 tubes and can be compensated one over the other to get some decent depth in your shots or they will be flat.

animal168;891717; said:
seconded, i have the sigma and its a good build and ettl works a treat.
Make sure any ring flash you get has 2 tubes and can be compensated one over the other to get some decent depth in your shots or they will be flat.

The sigma is not a ringflash, gives a totally different light to a ringflash (which is meant to be flat) the Sigma is marketed as a Macro Flash, as it cannot be called a ringflash as the flash tube is not circular.

If the flash has two small straight tubes similar to the Sigma, they can allow different options such as proportional modelling, but you can do this with two small cheap flashguns (albeit with a bit of difficulty) you will never get the same lighting as you would when using a true ringflash!

Think of it on a larger scale: Why buy an expensive studio ringflash unit when you can just use two flash heads either side of the lens? Because the effect is completely different! The whole point is you do want any modelling or you would use two heads in the first place!

It's a just a matter of preference really!

Have you seen the adaptor thingy that you can get to create a proper ring flash from your normal hotshoe flashgun - thye make them to fit the SB800 for Nikon and 540EX (or something like that) for canon.

Have you seen the adaptor thingy that you can get to create a proper ring flash from your normal hotshoe flashgun - thye make them to fit the SB800 for Nikon and 540EX (or something like that) for canon.

I've seen the things you mention but these are exactly what you don't want for macro flash....they would provide the flat light that needs to be avoided. A far better option would be a simple directional diffuser that would direct the light from one direction...not ideal but better than light directed equally across the subject.

I'll prompt Alby to find his modified "Unigate" flash setup...it'd be a good starting point.

Bob

Back