RING type doorbells

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have a RING type doorbell on their home, have any views, good or bad?

I'd like to hear what other people think about them before I go out and buy one. I'm guessing they're wireless but I've no idea how they work, is it your phone or telly. My first worry would be someone coming up to the front door and just walking off with it.

Any help or advice would be most welcomed.

I have one. It uses your wifi and you can pick it up on your phone, tablet or computer and you can link it to Alexa if you have one

It's been great for me if I'm home on my own as I have mobility issues.

It comes with security screws so no, they can't just come and take it but, if they did, you'd have a recording of them doing it. ;)

We have one we also have a couple of ring standalone cameras as well.

They work well but can be expensive compared to the cheap Chinese’s copies. You also have to factor in the costs of the ring plan for recording your footage. They work on your WiFi and you just download the ring app to your devices. You can also share with someone else for example I shared ours with my wife and my Mum shared hers with me.

All in all it’s super handy and easy to use and nobody will be walking of with it anytime soon unless they bring a screwdriver with them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, really appreciated. Didn't realise I needed a "Ring Plan" is that something you pay for monthly?

You also have to factor in the costs of the ring plan for recording your footage.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. We pay £25 per year to record the footage.

All in all it’s super handy and easy to use and nobody will be walking of with it anytime soon unless they bring a screwdriver with them.

It would have to be a very specific screwdriver as well. ;)

Thanks for that Marc, I expected the plan to be a lot more expensive. It's the add-ons to systems like these where manufacturers usually make their money.

Thanks for that Marc, I expected the plan to be a lot more expensive. It's the add-ons to systems like these where manufacturers usually make their money.

That's with just one device, it may be more if you add other devices

IIRC, it was £2.50 per month or £25 for the year

Just looking on Ring's website and spotted they also do security camera too.

The relay to a cellphone can be a bit of a problem. My wife and I both have iPhones on the same network. It's been known for her to receive an alert several minutes before me, even when I'm in the house and she's way up the top of our garden! :wideyed:

I have one which is solar driven and works well, even here in Norway. Saves having to wire it up or removing to recharge every few months.
The solar unit is an extra 'collar' than fits round the basic unit.
Never experienced any problems with the link to our iPhones - always rings before the person at the door begins to think no-one is home...

Last edited:
I opted for the ring floodlight for the front drive and the ring spot light for the front door, as I did not want to go the door bell option.

The spotlight has a small light, a siren and a speaker to communicate with.

So if you need to speak to someone you can like the ring door bell, and you get alerts when motion is detected, so you do not have to wait for some to press the bell.

With two or more ring product you have to go for the higher £75pa plan but that covers damage to the ring product.

You need to make sure you have good WiFi connection to where you want to put the cameras other wise motion alerts are slow.

Also keep an eye out for offers as they are expensive when not in offer.

Last edited:
In december I installed a floodlight camera and a doorbell camera on my property. I went for EUFY as they work with no subscription.

The doorbell is rechargeable, and so far is at 45% today since December. It has a box indoors that holds an SD card where all the footage is stored. I put a 32gb micro sd card in and still have over 28gb available (557 motions recorded). You can talk and hear through the app and it captures any movement not just a button press.

You can have a cloud storage option, but I prefer to be independent.

The spotlight camera is on my garage eves and looks over the cars on our drive. You can turn the light on and off via the app, talk through the camera or sound an alarm. It has smaller onboard storage, but overwrites like a dash cam so does not need attention.

Both can be accessed via an app and you can set the trigger zones, which tailors what it monitors.

I got the doorbell after the spotlight, £160 for the spotlight and the doorbell was on discount a few weeks later for £87 (normally £129 but currently £109).

Would highly recommend. T

In december I installed a floodlight camera and a doorbell camera on my property. I went for EUFY as they work with no subscription.

The doorbell is rechargeable, and so far is at 45% today since December. It has a box indoors that holds an SD card where all the footage is stored. I put a 32gb micro sd card in and still have over 28gb available (557 motions recorded). You can talk and hear through the app and it captures any movement not just a button press.

You can have a cloud storage option, but I prefer to be independent.

The spotlight camera is on my garage eves and looks over the cars on our drive. You can turn the light on and off via the app, talk through the camera or sound an alarm. It has smaller onboard storage, but overwrites like a dash cam so does not need attention.

Both can be accessed via an app and you can set the trigger zones, which tailors what it monitors.

I got the doorbell after the spotlight, £160 for the spotlight and the doorbell was on discount a few weeks later for £87 (normally £129 but currently £109).

Would highly recommend. T
Thanks for the help Tony, really appreciated.

Just to mention the other side of the coin, there are many privacy and security concerns about the whole Ring ecosystem.

One of many (any search engine will find lots more) articles here: Don't Buy Anyone a Ring Camera.

(Of course, if you're the sort of person who doesn't mind Alexa/Siri/Echo listening to and transmitting everything that's said in your house, then this probably won't trouble you).

I got a fairly cheap Heimlife doorbell which is similar to many including the Eufy in that it has sd storage. Unfortunately it has audio interference which I and their Techs were not able to solve so I got a refund and they let me keep the unit which is still installed and usable.

Also have several ip cameras ( igeek ) covering the property about 50 each. Sound and vision and IR. Anazing performance but I abandoned wifi and just connected them wired via ethernet and Powerline to my synology NAS server and it’s inbuilt surveillance station. continuous 24/7 recording for as many months as you want or motion detection

Back